A Reality Check: How Many of Us Actually Wear Seat Belts?

Do you wear your seat belt?

• Total voters
Well actually i must confess here , i never wear seatbelts!:sorry:

On my recent trip to Munnar , in Kerela i was fined Rs.100 for not wearing seatbelt and after that throughout the trip i was it but now again am not wearing it here in Chennai! Maybe i have to change my habits!!

I always wear seatbelts. But i do must state that some times I would wear it only after driving a short distance(.5 km max), especially when i get in the car in a hurry.

@ cooldhaya: good that you were atleast honest buddy. many would simply refrain from posting this due to the negative comments they MAY receive.

anyways, wear a seatbelt!

Well thanks Raj , yeah i will try to wear it from now or even today!

One doubt , are seatbelts compulsory in your places? Because Chennai police don ever catch us for not wearing seatbelts and in Chennai you can hardly see people wearing them!

Seatbelts are very very very compulsory in mumbai. here, traffic police are very strict in the following cases-
1) seat belt
2) dark window tints
3) loud horns
4) helmets for bikers

but i wear seatbelts even in hiranandani (the place where i live), which is a private complex. also, in my native allepey, seat belts are not compulsory, but i do wear them.

also, even if i am not driving & if i am in the front passenger seat, i do wear them. now i feel uncomfortable without them! its all a matter of getting used to it.

Seatbelts are very very very compulsory in mumbai. here, traffic police are very strict in the following cases-
1) seat belt
2) dark window tints
3) loud horns
4) helmets for bikers

but i wear seatbelts even in hiranandani (the place where i live), which is a private complex. also, in my native allepey, seat belts are not compulsory, but i do wear them.

also, even if i am not driving & if i am in the front passenger seat, i do wear them. now i feel uncomfortable without them! its all a matter of getting used to it.
These four applies to all of TN too, but they catch us only when they are interested.

A month back, surprisingly they caught us for loud horns with some instrument. But it was mostly buses and bikes.

And Helmet is quite a normal one, though nowadays they dont catch directly like they used to, but during routine checks and other rules offending, they would penalise you.

But they never caught us for seatbelts. I think the fine is Rs.100, which was implemented alongside helmets.

You said it buddy , i never felt comfortable wearing them and thanks to Chennai police i have still not developed this habit! Here most Chennaiitees (atleast me) follow the rules only when implemented and made compulsory! ( but we follow it after its made compulsory). Same case with helmets for two-wheelers!

Now i have to get used to wearing it. BTW am not against wearing it , i accept its for our safety!

Hi Raj,

Are HIDs allowed in mumbai?? I heard that its not legal anywhere.

1) seat belt
2) dark window tints
3) loud horns
4) helmets for bikers

AMG

Suspended
HIDs are perfectly legal everywhere in the country.
HIDs have to be low beam.
High beam HIDs are illegal.

Well thanks Raj , yeah i will try to wear it from now or even today!

One doubt , are seatbelts compulsory in your places? Because Chennai police don ever catch us for not wearing seatbelts and in Chennai you can hardly see people wearing them!
It should not be issue of Compulsion of waring seat belts or fines of police. Seat belts are for safety purpose of people inside car. It is same as wearing helmet on bike.

YouTube - Crash test with and without safety belt

YouTube - Seat Belt Commercial

YouTube - Shocking seat belt video ad

350Z

Core Team
It does not matter whether wearing seat belts is compulsory or not, once a person understands the main objective behind wearing them, they soon automatically develop a habit to buckle up. But it is very unfortunate, that most of us wear them only due to the fear of cops, considering it is made as rule by government only to show off. This may sound a little rude but that’s the truth and we must accept it and start wearing seat belts. About cooldhaya, it’s nice that he at least realized the fault but there are many who don’t.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #29
1) seat belt
2) dark window tints
3) loud horns
4) helmets for bikers
Except for no. 3), none of these are followed seriously in Bangalore.[frustration]
The most people I see wearing seat belts are drivers from executive car hire hire companies and MNCs.
No Sabaash for you Dhaya, but still a pat on the back for owning it up
We request you to belt up thought! [rules]

Last edited by a moderator:

AMG

Suspended
@ Cooldhaya
You need to wear your seatbelts even more so because your Verna doesnt have airbags.

Top Bottom