A One Day Trip to Kas Pathar - Mini Valley of Flower

Thread Starter #1
Visited on 23rd September 2012 Sunday.

Actually it was totally unplanned trip to Kas pathar. Saturday being my half day at office. I was at my office thinking what to plan for sunday. Then thought came in mind why not try kas valley. Went home and told about my plan. It was now decided to visit Kas Pathar on sunday 23rd September and if time permits then visit to Thoseghar Waterfall.

Kas is called the valley of flowers of Maharashtra. I have heard that Kas has been included in as a UNESCO’s World Heritage Site.

Route I followed:
Dombivli-Panvel-Mumbai Pune Expressway to Pune- NH 4 upto Satara City- Kas.

Kas is around 272 KM from my place Dombivli and 293 k.m. from Mumbai and around 25 k.m. from Satara district. I started around 6.20 a.m. in the morning. Picked my brother at Pune and reached Kas Pathar at 120 noon. Road upto Panvel(Kalamboli Circle) is in very bad shape with lots of speed breakers. Also my brother took some time to ready so could not reach at targeted time of 10.30 AM.

Re: A One Day Trip to Kas Pathar-Mini Valley of Flower

Eagerly waiting for the pictures and narration about your trip.

Kaas valley is a part of the western ghats. Western ghats (39 locations) has been declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

They may soon restrict the number of tourists allowed in a day to Kaas Valley.

I am also willing to Visit that palce. Can you please explain a bit about how to reach there from satara City and are there any other places nearby to Visit?

Thread Starter #4
Where to Stay: As it was a one day trip so did not stay. But if any our member want to spent a day then there are various option available in Satara. Also there are some resorts which is on the way to Kas.

Ideal period to visit: Best period to visit Kas pathar is second half of September to first week of Octomber (As learnt from forest guards at kas.). It is heaven for nature lovers.

Fees: As you reach the kas the volunteers greet you with entry fee receipt of Rs. 10 per person and additional Rs.50 for camera. Surprisingly there is also Rs.10 fee for mobile camera.[frustration]

Also you have to left your vehicle at parking area just before 3 kms from kas and from there you have to board on ST bus with Rs.5 ticket per head. Parking Charges are extra.(which i didnt pay)[lol]

Disclaimer: I am not a professional photographer so bear me if the photo quality is not good. I will post photos sequentially from leaving my home to Kas pathar. So real kas pathar photos will come at later stages.

Thread Starter #6
I am also willing to Visit that palce. Can you please explain a bit about how to reach there from satara City and are there any other places nearby to Visit?
You have to enter in Satara city and then there is chowk(name cant remember now) from where you have to take left turn. There is then Rajwada road and proceed on that road. Anyone in satara city are more than willing to guide you to kas my personal experience. Whole road is hilly area. THe first 5 to 6 km road is in very bad shape and narrow. Hence be careful.

The places near by it is one Bamnoli village where wind power station, Thoseghar waterfall, Sajjangarh(Fort which Shivaji Maharaj won).

Thread Starter #7
These are the photos when i was heading to Pune via expressway. The max speed i attained was 162Kmph. Man the car happily cruises on expressway but ride is bumpy on that speed. IMO this expressway is not maintened well. The truckers are very errant and dont follow the lane discipline. They always drive heavy vehicle on right fast lane. The proof of that you can see on last photo.

Attachments

Thread Starter #10
Now we have left expressway and are on the NH4 towards Satara. The hill you see in photo is the Katraj ghat. This ghat has very sharp turns with one hair pin turn. This ghat is now one way. On return journey there is tunnel at this place.

Attachments

Last edited:
@sandy- Sorry for asking this but why is this called Valley of flowers. I see no resembles for the name.
Are there any more snaps coming out with flowers on the mountain or is there some story behind it.

Hi Sandy
In your post you mentioned that the Max. Speed you achieved was 162 KMPH.
Don't you think this was Dangerous?
I am no one to give you advice but please restrain yourself from achieving this.
I have seen many cases of Tyre burst with these speeds.
Please refrain from going so fast.
This is in your and your family's interest.
I hope you don't mind my post :-)

Thread Starter #15
@sandy- Sorry for asking this but why is this called Valley of flowers. I see no resembles for the name.
Are there any more snaps coming out with flowers on the mountain or is there some story behind it.
Hey krish how can you see the resembles to valley of flower when i have not posted the real kas photos yet. I have earlier mentiones that i will post my photos as step by step from start to end of journey. So real kas pathar photos will come at later stage. Then you can tell me does Kas pathar justifies it name as valley of flower of Maharashtra.

Sandy, nice snaps. Didn't you take your camera on Kas Pathar? Even mobile Cam was also not allowed there?
Who told you mobile camera is not allowed on Kas pathar. Rather as i mentioned earlier even mobile camera has 10 rupees fees. Flower photos will follow later.

Hi Sandy
In your post you mentioned that the Max. Speed you achieved was 162 KMPH.
Don't you think this was Dangerous?
I am no one to give you advice but please restrain yourself from achieving this.
I have seen many cases of Tyre burst with these speeds.
Please refrain from going so fast.
This is in your and your family's interest.
I hope you don't mind my post :-)
Why should i mind. Its good feeling that forum members care about each other. The speed i achieved was just for 5 seconds. Firstly i didnt realise that i am driving in excess of 160 kmph. When i saw meter then i came to know about it. I slowed down after that. But you cant drive smoothly on expressway as its not maintened properly. Rather old NH4 is very much smooth surface now and drive at 120kmph smoothly if traffic permits. Nonetheless thanks for caring.

Those are really nice pics Sandeep[clap].

Looks like you really enjoyed the trip.
Ya! its quite a fun trip. Really enjoyed the atmosphere there.

Top Bottom