A Note To Auto Rickshaw Drivers

Thread Starter #1
Did not want to open a new thread for this, so posting it here -

A kind note to Autoricksaw drivers :

1) Please behave on the road. I know you are looking for customers but please think before taking a right turn looking left for customers.

2) Please follow some lane discipline. You are not supposed to drive with your front wheel on the lane markings.

3) I know you have got a handlebar which makes it easy for you to cut across your rick, but please be considerate. There are others using the road too.

4) Please dont brake right in the middle of the road just because you got a hire. Move to the left & brake slowly.

5) I can understand non-functional brake lights & indicators, but please dont turn on the right indicator & take a left turn.

6) Please understand that a small scrape or dent here & there will be "no big deal" for you, but it is like a stab in the stomach to a person who loves his car which is maintained in a pristine condition.

7) Please understand that your rick does not have door or windows which gives you a nice 360 degree clear view but that is not the case in other vehicles. So please dont keep a 2mm gap between your rick and any other car. Similarly, keep some distance between your rick & the car in front. You are not gaining anything by kissing the car's bumper.

8) It would be very kind of you if you stick to the left lane as most probably, you are the slowest on the road. In case you are on the right lane, please move to the left lane when someone flashes or honks. Incase you are kind enough to move to the left, please move a full lane to the left instead of giving just enough clearance (with 1 cm more) for the car to pass.

9) While starting your vehicle, you do look in the RVMs & notice a car coming from behind, but inspite of that, you lurch your rick a bit ahead which panics the motorist behind making him to either honk, brake or swerve. What do you achieve in this?

10) Finally, remember you are in a small vehicle, which is very unbalanced due to 3 wheels, has no doors and windows for safety & is made of a thin sheet of metal which serves no purpose... In case a bigger vehicle does decide to mow you down (intentionally or unintentionally), all the motorist will have is a damaged bonnet or bumper but you... Well, you know it. So please done be so arrogant. Give respect & take respect.

Few pointers :

Cost of your ORVM - Rs. 100 a pair
Cost of a single ORVM of an Innova - Rs. 6500

Cost of a denting job of your rick - Rs. 500
Cost of a denting jon in a VW - Rs. 20000

Cost of a new headlight for your rick - Rs. 200
Cost of a new headlight for a BMW - Rs. 1 LAC

I seriously hope that the following changes are enforced in your rickshaw by the Govt.:

1) Replace the handlebar by a long ratio steering wheel so that even if you need to make a small left turn, you need to turn the steering for 2 full revolutions. This will curb your lane cutting behavior.

2) Make sure the parts of your rick costs a bomb, which even includes denting & painting works, which will mean you will drive more carefully.

Re: Pictures of Automobiles Involved in Accidents

Did not want to open a new thread for this, so posting it here -

1) Replace the handlebar by a long ratio steering wheel so that even if you need to make a small left turn, you need to turn the steering for 2 full revolutions. This will curb your lane cutting behavior.
That will work wonderfully well to reduce minor accidents! [lol][lol]

What happened Raj?

You should have been in a Scorpio so that they don't cut in your lane.

Thread Starter #4

^^^ Seriously MAN!

In the Scorpio, these 3 wheeled fellas never used to come close. But in the Punto, they purposely try to cut across you just to save a few seconds.

In the Scorpio, I was very stern on lane discipline but in case if some errant guy drives up beside me & tried to cut me, I make sure I push him off the road. And that always used to happen. In the Punto, it does not. I love my Punto, but only an SUV will replace my Punto now.

By the way, this behaviour is termed "arrogance" by SUV haters.

^^^ Seriously MAN!

In the Scorpio, these 3 wheeled fellas never used to come close. But in the Punto, they purposely try to cut across you just to save a few seconds.

In the Scorpio, I was very stern on lane discipline but in case if some errant guy drives up beside me & tried to cut me, I make sure I push him off the road. And that always used to happen. In the Punto, it does not. I love my Punto, but only an SUV will replace my Punto now.

i can understand your pain.

the transition of my armada to scorpio is somewhat the same [lol]

earlier i rarely used to honk my horn since my car was loud enough for a deaf person to understand i am going through .

now i do need to honk horn on all crossings, it is only when they realise what they see in their RVM that they give way [;)]

:agree: Good points Raj especially the 6th one. That point goes for our relatives too who takes our car keys for some work or so and we could not even say No.[cry]
But I doubt that even a single Mumbai Autoricksaw driver will read this.[frustration]

Last edited:

I have never felt I have been bullied down by an SUV probably that is why I never felt why should I prefer SUV over small cars ..

but Auto Riks are hell of nuisance. I am damn sure no Rick driver is ever going to see this thread but.....

IMO Arrogance about SUV:- ..most of the time comes from those who try to show to be morally perfect but are not in real ; mostly white collar limo owners . Other wise from one who knows only Half side knowledge of driving.

I have to drive SUVs ,Pick up trucks and back in India Punto. I do drive all three of them in same gestures.

other than being overtaken by more powerful cars like ,Audi,To-fort,Landrover et al ,

I feel its no big feat to beat any of the Indian entry level SUV's with punto and let them remain stuck in rear view mirror forever but I have seen such instances where I believe few SUV owners (teenagers maybe) had a lesson learnt and remained decent on road (read it as large size and speed is may not always make you a winner on road) .

most of the time I have never felt that awkward behaviour from any Suvs..unless from some big shot super rich drunk guy or reckless taxi's but they always and will always do it or we should always expect that from those unavoidable bugs at least.

What I try is kind of defensive driving. " predict and to stay away well in advance." but one becomes competevily slow..but it is the only way..!

Most of the time I am irritated by small car owners like maruthi 800 or Alto, and to an extend hatchback and sedans too ..I get pricked behind my neck when i see a new car ,moving slowly bit off-lane... they are either new drivers or ladies...and too dangerous.
A biker doing high speed, a truck ,bicycles ,

of course Autorikshaws too :- technically as far as i have observed autorikshaws shouldnt be allowed to enter on public road just because visibility is next to NIL but this is India.
I have driven a rick and felt, this vehical needs a complete redesign for visibility if not, should be banned.

Last edited:
Well,here we have even more painful situation buddy:
In Meerut there are no small ricks like Delhi and Mumbai but what we have here are their bigger siblings called "Vikarm" etc etc.The drivers carry then passengers in them and what is worse is that they speed up them upto 50-60 kph and play music at such high volumes that your Rockford Fosgate will also become shameful on the roads.And these full of metal tin cans are really dangerous.In fact I some times travel in them especially to enjoy their ride with my friends or for some naughty jobs..:biggrin:

Its many times that they dent the cars of people but it was a piece of good luck for me that mine never got dented.Here are four precautions I take:-
1):Slow down my car significantly near their stand as they themselves don't know when they will come in front.
2):Take some room while overtaking them and honk at least once before overtaking them.
3):Never ever allow them or give them space to overtake me and in case if I find one following me too close then I believe in speeding up.
4):If I see one stopped and there are chances that he can take a turn then I stick to my lane,give continuous flashes with honking twice or thrice and then increase my speed saying 'jai Mata di',if he is okay then he himself stops seeing them my car can throw them out of the road.And this technique works too.

Rest I agree with all the points mentioned by Raj.You must also add..
You auto guys,even if you dent our car then police is going to thrash you only not us and even if we gift you some slaps(once a month is surely done) then also no one-simply no one is going to come up in your favor..

Here in Meerut we face these types of ricks:-

Attachments

You auto guys,even if you dent our car then police is going to thrash you only not us and even if we gift you some slaps(once a month is surely done) then also no one-simply no one is going to come up in your favor..
Vipul , By chance if you happen to come in Kerala ,dont even think of standing against an Auto rik driver. you and your car both will be dead corps.they have strong unions and all sorts of backup.
there was an incident about a family from pune got brushed with these auto guys for similar reasons and what ...the auto guys chased them in a sumo to 90 km and thrashed the driver on road. family members especially women were crying for help but no one nearby locals knew real reason so all stayed witness to those poor people being beaten, whom dint even realize the local language whatever rick drivers were yelling about.
Later they logged a complaint in local police station ,it was revealed that fault was Autodrivers but no actions were taken as family left out of station since long time and auto union have huge political influence .

Vipul , By chance if you happen to come in Kerala ,dont even think of standing against an Auto rik driver. you and your car both will be dead corps.they have strong unions and all sorts of backup.
there was an incident about a family from pune got brushed with these auto guys for similar reasons and what ...the auto guys chased them in a sumo to 90 km and thrashed the driver on road. family members especially women were crying for help but no one nearby locals knew real reason so all stayed witness to those poor people being beaten, whom dint even realize the local language whatever rick drivers were yelling about.
Later they logged a complaint in local police station ,it was revealed that fault was Autodrivers but no actions were taken as family left out of station since long time and auto union have huge political influence .
Damn,[frustration]..this is really shocking.
That means the auto rock drivers down there in south are really powerful.And this is serous stupidity to chase a car for 90 kms for just a 100 rupee scratch.These people are pure morons,or say fools.If this would have happened to me even once then I'd have shot all of them in the head at the place itself before anyone could have touched me.After that there are a lot of lawyers who take money to prove it self defence and get you out trouble free.
if such bad is condition there at your place then why don't you carry some weapon with you buddy?

Damn,[frustration]..this is really shocking.
That means the auto rock drivers down there in south are really powerful.And this is serous stupidity to chase a car for 90 kms for just a 100 rupee scratch.These people are pure morons,or say fools.If this would have happened to me even once then I'd have shot all of them in the head at the place itself before anyone could have touched me.After that there are a lot of lawyers who take money to prove it self defence and get you out trouble free.
if such bad is condition there at your place then why don't you carry some weapon with you buddy?
lol vipul not every one in here is a politician and access to "weapons".

Every points are damn true.

Almost auto drivers are arrogant and are backed up by political parties.
Even 50% are just running auto for time pass kind of. Hope their main income from other act for politicians.

From owning the sierra , i hope almost many auto wala's slow down for me or give way.
even a innova dont get this treatment . Reason mine is all metal and will roll over his rick!

Only few auto wala's do follow and charge reasonably here in Pondicherry.

In Pondicherry , the "vikram" known as "tempo" runs throughout the town and they too have their own rules!

Once did Brush a tempo at its rear right and it was my front left. {he did come from extreme left to right to road]
the driver yelled in abusive language - this was at a busy road.
i stopped and repeated same - spoke to him in his language.

Uncle sitting beside mine also joined and asked me to dash that idiotic rick [again - sick]and i did the same!

Imagine what - end of argument.

But this may not be suitable in city/ or in city where we go to work etc.

this was in case with Smallest town/ uncle being in real estate field i hope.......

- end of small story -

Here in Bangalore too, these ricks are horrible, whether the rick is with passenger/not they have to go in the middle of the road, if we honk they start staring at us/ some times start yelling.. as if we have done some wrong thing..

Here if a car brushes an rick I dont from where other ricks come to support him and start quarreling.

Unions are the huge barrier in India's development. They are always backed by political party, the there is no limit for their atrocities.

Anything with 3 wheels should be banned, or given a long-geared steering wheel.

Autowalas are notorious in all the cities in India. In Kolkata they not even dare to beat a traffic Sergent. There are few routes viz. Esplanade to Park Circus where most of the auto drivers belong to a particular so called minority community and when stopped by the cops they argued that they are harassed by the cops because they belong to a particular community. Moreover the unions are always members of ruling parties. They don't take a day to shift their colours. If they are booked the political leaders intervened and set them free. Is there any member in TAI who drives auto?[;)] If not then all this posts are in vein.

Top Bottom