A Lazy Drive - Through Four Forests...

Thread Starter #1
A cousin and his wife have come down to India for holidays and wanted to go for a short trip with us. We had suggested Nagarhole and they agreed. So we booked a homestay at Kutta, a small village just after Nagarhole for one night. Our cousins arrived from Chennai on Wednesday night around 9:15 pm. We had dinner and went to bed around 11:30 pm.

Got up next morning around 4 am and were off by 5:30 am. Had breakfast at Café Coorg, a decent place and proceeded to drive through the Nagarhole forest. I took very few pictures this trip as I was doing the driving and we were short of time.

The forest road through Nagarhole...

DSC_5648.jpg

DSC_5651.jpg

Thread Starter #2
After reaching the homestay, we stashed our baggage and left for Irrupu Falls. On the way we had lunch at a place called Café Robusta.

The road to Irrupu Falls is very bad. Climbing up to the falls was a uphill task for me. Realized how out of condition I was. My wife and I vowed to start exercising from this week. There was very little water in the falls.

Steps leading to the falls…

DSC_5659.jpg

The Falls…

DSC_5668.jpg

Wow another nice trip, hooked on to this thread.

Do share the route details.

Btw all your threads start with a tagline 'Lazy Drive' any reason for the laziness.[;)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
@mukeshus

To reach the home stay - Spice Garden in Kutta, we took the Hosur road -> NICE road -> Mysore road -> Mysore ring road -> Hunsur -> Nagarhole forest -> Spice Garden

Turned right at the ring road before entering Mysore. There was a rough stretch at the beginning. After reaching Hunsur we turned left next to a petrol bunk to Nagarhole. We had the GPS on. But the route was quite straight forward.

Breakfast at cafe coorg at Hunsur

Lazy Drive - literally it is. Where the drive is more important than the destination. Actually these drives have no destination or timeline that is important. We just drive around slowly enjoying the nature.

Nice pictures to start with.

Waiting for more pictures from Highway Ranger the Explorer.

Where the drive is more important than the destination. Actually these drives have no destination or timeline that is important. We just drive around slowly enjoying the nature.
That's it.

Thats the way I too like drives to be.

Thread Starter #7
Nice pictures to start with.

Waiting for more pictures from Highway Ranger the Explorer.

Thanks autosafari. Sadly I took very few pictures this time. I missed a lot of photo opportunities.[embarass] So I will also be posting some taken by my cousin with his P&S.

That's it.

Thats the way I too like drives to be.

Glad to know you agree. Most cars were zooming past us in the forest.

Excellent Pictures HR,

All are wallpaper stuff[clap]. Waiting for more pics
Thanks AppU.

A hanging bridge on the way to the falls…

DSC_5652.jpg

DSC_5658.jpg

Way down from the falls…

IMG_0857.jpg

After the falls we went to Tolpetty (waynad) wildlife safari. Cost us 980 rs for four of us inclusive of the jeep hire. It was a back breaking one hour drive. We saw a lot of deer, a bison with its young one, an elephant far away and some wild boars.

The safari path…

IMG_0869.jpg

A stag…

IMG_0877.jpg

An Eagle…well camouflaged… took a long time for me to spot it, in spite of five persons pointing to it…

IMG_0881.jpg

Another stag…

IMG_0884.jpg

Later we went back to the home stay.

Thread Starter #8
The next morning, we started out early and were at the Nagarhole forest checkpost by 5:55 am. It was pitch dark and there was nobody there. So we just sat in the car and waited. At around 6:05 we saw some light flashes. It was the forest guard with a flash light and a register. We entered the details in the register and went into the forest. It was eerie to say the least.

As we drove slowly through the pitch dark forest we could see the eyes of the deer glowing. We drove till 7 am and by then it day light. We then turned around and headed back. We again saw hordes of deer, giant squirrels, wild boars, and one elephant crossing the road in front of us. It was in a hurry and soon disappeared into the thickets. We returned back to the homestay had breakfast.

We saw a lot of birds... like this one for instance…

IMG_0750.jpg

Deer…

DSC_5696.jpg

More Deer…

DSC_5726.jpg

DSC_5729.jpg

P1040099.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Deer crossing…

DSC_5763.jpg

Wildboars….

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

A giant squirrel hanging upside down and eating some small fruit…

IMG_0754.jpg

A nice pose...

IMG_0746.jpg

We had stopped by this deer and it just stood and stared at us for more than 5 minutes till it was distracted by another car…

DSC_5748.jpg

The forest route…

DSC_5713.jpg

DSC_5719.jpg

DSC_5723.jpg

DSC_5775.jpg

DSC_5807.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

We didn't start the fire...

IMG_0817.jpg

A safari road...

DSC_5699.jpg

The Elephant disappearing into the forest…

DSC_5798.jpg

The road to our home stay…

DSC_5809.jpg

Beautiful pictures... really makes you feel that you want to be there.

Any pictures of your ride with the same backdrop?

Thread Starter #11
After breakfast, we took the Tholpetty forest route to Kuruva Deep. On the way we saw a Bison crossing the road. We stopped to see if any more were going to cross. But no such luck. So we continued and entered the Begur forest range. We reached Kuruva Deep. But then our cousin was not interested to see the island as it involved some amount of walking. So we left without crossing over.

Now we had to take the route through the other side of Nagarhole forest, (Kabini River), to reach Mysore. Since we wanted to have some Kerala food for lunch, we decided to take the longer route through Sulthan Bathery, Muthanga forest and Bandipur.

We stopped by Jubilee restaurant in Sulthan Bathery for lunch. The food there was good. And then we started off through the forest route.

After we entered Bandipur, we saw a mother elephant and her calf by the side of the road. We stopped there as we thought they would sooner or later cross the road. We wanted to see the crossing. As we were waiting, lots of vehicles passed by. Some even slowed down, thinking we were scared to drive by, and told us told us that it was safe to proceed. We waited patiently for around 15 minutes watching those two and at the same time clicking.

Initially the mother elephant looked at us for some time. Then the young one attempted to cross the road slowly. It walked slowly till the middle of the road and then turned towards us. I was a bit worried – if the calf walks towards us, then the mother might also follow and I would have to reverse the car. But then, the calf returned back to the mother.

Later, the calf made the second attempt to cross the road. It walked slowly across and once it had crossed the road, it ran off into the bush. Now, it was the mother’s turn. It slowly walked across the road and a truck comes from the opposite direction blaring his air horn. The mother took its time crossing the road and joined the calf.

Our million dollar question is how the mother elephant communicate to the calf about crossing the road... as we know that there was not physical prompting. Maybe by sound that we didn’t hear?

We tracked the elephants till they were out of sight and then started on our way.

We saw 2 more adult elephants in the bush later and were tracking it for about a kilometer to see if they would also cross the road. But then they were moving parallel to the road all the way and showed no sign of coming close to the road. So we continued on our way.

We finally reached Mysore and reached Bangalore by 8:15 pm. We had dinner at our place and dropped our cousins at the boarding point for their return trip to Chennai.

The Spice garden homestay…

P1040118.jpg

A tree house at the homestay…

IMG_0915.jpg

The Bison that crossed our path…

P1040119.jpg

P1040120.jpg

Tholpetty forest route…

P1040121.jpg

People crossing over to Kuruva Deep in a raft...

IMG_0931.jpg

Bandipur route… great to drive…

IMG_0973.jpg

The mother Elephant and the calf…

IMG_0957.jpg

DSC_5816.jpg

Watching us…

DSC_5819.jpg

The calf makes the first attempt…

P1040125.jpg

DSC_5825.jpg

The calf stops and turns towards us…

DSC_5828.jpg

P1040128.jpg

The calf returns to its mother…

DSC_5834.jpg

The calf makes the second attempt…

DSC_5838.jpg

Now the mother makes her move…

DSC_5849.jpg

DSC_5856.jpg

Joins the calf…

DSC_5859.jpg

The mother and son reunion…

DSC_5871.jpg

DSC_5874.jpg

We liked the drive and might take these roads again soon.

Top Bottom