A Highway To Hell Along the Coast

Thread Starter #1
Mods- I don't know whether this deserves a new thread , if it doesn't please merge with any of the existing threads.

The East Coast Road (ECR) is a highway which lures city motorists to step on the pedal. On this road, there are no speed breakers and traffic lights, and only the occasional police patrol - all killjoys of speeding vehicles.

But ECR, unlike a highway, is congested; encroachments have eaten into the road space; jaywalking pedestrians dart across like in city by-lanes; the lack of streetlights makes night driving dangerous. The result: ECR ranks among the top five accident-prone roads in the city with many of the accidents happening late night or early morning. Yet, the destination hospital for the lone ambulance in Uthandi is in Chengalpet. On Sunday night, while two accident victims died on the spot, one died on the way to the hospital 30km away. While ECR ranks below Anna Salai and EVR Salai in the total number of accidents, it is a leader in the number of fatalities. "With no speed breakers, medians or street lights, the motorists usually go way past the stipulated speed limit of 40kmph resulting in fatal accidents," said S Premkumar, a resident of Mamallapuram.

Encroachments on the sides of the road also contribute to the accidents. For example, an extended compound wall of a timber depot has shrunk the total width of the road there to less than 20 feet (on the Sholinganallur side) from the original 75 feet.

The road is a freeway for pedestrians, too. According to state highways department, which maintains the four-lane stretch between Tiruvamiyur and Sholinganallur (a distance of 11.8kms), there are 94 streets on both sides of the stretch and 38 pedestrian crossings between the two points. More than half of the pedestrian crossings are within 50 metres of each other and located in front of private resorts and farmhouses rather than in front of lanes connecting residential areas with the ECR.

Residents complain that free availability of liquor is another nuisance. There are 11 Tasmac outlets at Tiruvanmiyur, Kottivakkam, Palavakkam, Injambakkam (2), Akkarai, Kanathur, Kovalam, Vadanemeli and Mamallapuram. The Injambakkam outlet opened last month despite objections by residents. "Motorists may be tempted to have a drink while coming back from holiday trips. Awareness on safety is necessary to prevent accidents," said a Kancheepuram police official.

In December 2010, under the Comprehensive Road Infrastructure Development Project ( CRIDP)) 2010-11, the state highways raised the height of the median between Tiruvanmiyur and Sholinganallur and closed 19 unwanted pedestrian crossings between these points at a cost of 1.6 crore to ensure the stretch is safe. However, the stretch between Sholinganallur and Puducherry, a distance of around 140kms, remains dangerous.

Source: TOI

tamilanadu have most promising road available in india but it is a pity that they are not at all safe.

i myself ,an unfortunate victim .
(at vellore highway.)

on a 3 lane highway tractors coming wrong directions,tire repairing stalls,auto rickshaw drag race and what not? kids and cows jumping around .
roads when built should be practical and safe. not reminder of afterlife.!!!

I agree with you dhaya,

during weekends, some bikers drunk & drive on this road which majorly leads to accident.

even, animals like cows & goats are roam on this road casually on blind turnings.

i don't know when the Government should take steps to expand the road, install proper signals & speed breakers to save the priceless LIFE

I cannot beleive that this message being posted at this jucture is merely a coincidence. It is very much true!

Two of my company colleagues who were returning from Pondy to Chennai in their bike met with an accident yesterday (25th July early morning near Marakaanam, 35 kms from Pondy) and one guy died on the spot while the other is admitted in PIMS, Pondy in pretty serious state![frustration]

It is very saddening that the road has been known to be accident prone since it has been opened. We have been hearing that it is going to be converted from 2 lane to 4 lane but it is still a news!

It is our complete responsibility to stay focused and avoid rash & speedy driving while we use these kind of roads un avoid any such mishaps!

reminds me some time back , it was my fb status

driving in the uncertainty of ecr in night

To encourage people to return home soon , even the toll pass is valid till12 night , even if you buy at 11.30 pm!

Ecr is the most dangerous road among its neighboring

lots more deadly roads are present in our nation!

the news of converting it into 4 lane is true , since some of my relatives lost their land to the govt for the 4 lane extension.

all it need is 4 lane / heavy police patrolling / more ambulance and health center.

above all ,sensible speed in the slippery road

Thread Starter #6
Yes i was shocked to see and realize that there is only one hospital and ambulance for the entire stretch! ECR has been rated the second highest accident prone zone in Chennai and its a pity that there not enough safety measures in place. After Uthandi there is no ambulance or hospital for the entire stretch till Pondicherry which is a good 140KMS atleast!

First up convert it into a four lane road with barricades at regular intervals and heavy patrolling catching the over-speeding vehicles. Then enough ambulances and new hospitals should be opened for the stretch. Then drunken driving should be controlled , i still feel more than 50% accidents in the ECR is due to drunken driving , reason cheap liquor at Pondicherry!

@ Holysatan Sorry to hear about that bro!

Top Bottom