A Complete Rebuild Story - YAMAHA RD 350

Thread Starter #16
Re: A Complete Rebuilt Story - YAMAHA RD 350

this is very inspirational DIY dude. why dont you post more details along with pics?? [clap]

Sorry I don’t have enough pitchers as u know I was here in UAE and I waited 2 long looong years to complete this project
The story started 2 years back when one of my friend forwarded some scrap pics saying that RD is for sale --- –then I sent some money and close the deal
After that -----restoration done by a very famous RD expert (I don’t want to mention his name and place) color chosen black, a big parts list came from his side saying that all goodies will be added to my machine
Money was sent frequently---thinking that my machine will be ready within few months
After a long wait bike sent to Kerala through currier service----guys I want to tell u something ---never trust this currier service, they don’t know the value of our effort ---daily I am calling to that currier service people and they don’t know anything about my bike. I was trying to track my shipment through online but no result. I spent lots of money for my international calls -----after 15 days I got a news that the bike reached Selam (Tamilnadu ) and there is some strike going on and they don’t know when they can deliver my bike.

At last after 20 days my friend got a call from the currier company saying that the bike reached Trichur I was really excited to see my machine ---- I was checking my emails every half an hour
At last I got some pictures of my bike --- bike was in a very bad shape---- centre stand was broken , there is no side stand lots of dents on the tank, indicator was broken and the main thing is the bike they kept in the rain and silencer, all nuts and bolts was full of rust ---
stand.jpg

kicker.jpg

DSC02435.jpg

DSC02429.jpg

meter.jpg

corros.jpg

All the goodies mentioned in the earlier parts list was not there---and it was a normal machine ------I was really disappointed
After a long discussion my friend ----he gave me one number -----a RD expert from Cochin ---I spoke to that person and realize that normal mechanics are trustier than the famous ones --
After few days I sent my machine to Cochin --- all goodies added to my machine color changed to red and completed my project ------------now she is under my custody and I am enjoying every ride

Last edited:

Good work Anil, RDs are brilliant piece of machine and fun to drive. Do let us know about the costs involved in this project.

Thread Starter #18

Good work Anil, RDs are brilliant piece of machine and fun to drive. Do let us know about the costs involved in this project.

I got these scraps for 30 K and ----no no--- I don’t want to mention the total coast ----may be my wife will see this thread ---- [lol]
Nowadays RD parts are very very expensive and rare to find ---for example a US Spec HT barrels itself coast u 50 K and a good CDI will cost you more than 20 K and if you are going for any modification like if you are going for a imported front disc it will cost u more than 30 k -----so its up to our choice

Last edited:

30k for those scraps seem to be way too much than i expected. one of my friend bought a RD for 45k ( it was in good running condition ) spend around 50k for complete rebuild and it was like as good as new, drove for more than a year but since he had to leave for US and nobody to take care here sold it for 100k .

Thread Starter #20

30k for those scraps seem to be way too much than i expected. one of my friend bought a RD for 45k ( it was in good running condition ) spend around 50k for complete rebuild and it was like as good as new, drove for more than a year but since he had to leave for US and nobody to take care here sold it for 100k .
As i mentioned earlier u will get a sleeved RD for lesser price -------but u will not get a stock RD for that price especially a HT

very good thread with great pics! kudos to u buddy for so much efforts and result is awesome!! loved seeing all those pics [thumbsup]

Great restoration. I wish I never sold my RD. Spares was a big problem. I was forced to sell it as I was going to Chennai for studies and there was no one to look after the bike in Goa.

Thread Starter #24

good color combination [clap]. Loved RD . Always a dream vehicle .
how is the roar?
Tnx muni---yes I really missed her deep roaring sound
----just w8ing for my next vacation

Great restoration. I wish I never sold my RD. Spares was a big problem. I was forced to sell it as I was going to Chennai for studies and there was no one to look after the bike in Goa.

According to me RD is a priceless procession & it’s a dream machine

Last edited:

anilkenath excellent restoration dude. You are a true Rd lover. That 'sound' gives peace of mind. you are lucky.

Hi anil, I read ur rebuot story about RD 350,will u pls let me know the RD mechanic in cohin. Am looking for an RD mechanic to restore my RD350. am also working in abudhabi.

Last edited by a moderator:

wow man
thats a really nice work
I like those people who really know what they are doing
God bless and that bike looks like a new.

According to me RD is a priceless procession & it’s a dream machine
+1 ,RD has always been my dream bike too, But the amount of dedication you have put into give this bike a new life is very commendable[clap]

Congrats. Must say you have been lucky to get all the parts and tenecious to build it through.

I am also keen to either re-build or buy a RD350 (LT or HT) and being based in Mumbai this is very difficult with all the non-stock/fakes doing rounds.

Anyone in the forum from Mumbai to provide inputs, details on any contact to achieve this will be much appreciated.

Your work is really creative. I watched many of rebuilt bikes but this one is exceptional. I am really impressed.

Top Bottom