93 Subaru Liberty 4WD

Thread Starter #1
So after my brother made a fair offer (the price I bought for) I decided to sell it to him and get something else. This time around, I was set on a manual though. Automatics are a bit too boring to my linking.

So with the money I got from the Magna, started looking for something below the price range so I have some money saved up instead off all going on a car.

Here it is, the new car.

1993 Subaru Liberty AWD Sedan. It's a limited edition rallye model, so got a few extras. For a car that old, it's fairly clean except for the paint on the bonnet and the rear spoiler where the clear coat is fading off. But that is expected.

Engine is a EJ22 Horizontal Boxer engine. 2.2 L non-turbo petrol
Mated to a 5 speed manual splitting power to all four wheels.

First impression of the car was that the cabin was fairly loud! Mind me, I was used to driving the Skoda and the Magna which make next to no sound. But the car was extremely grippy, no wheel spin even at a 6K rev dump! lol

Feature rich car! Came with 4 power windows, electric mirrors, cruise control, electric ariel mast etc. and the best feature of all! It's got hill hold assist. Meaning when the clutch is fully pressed and you're on a hill trying to take off, the car wont roll back until you tap the accelerator! [:D]

Anyway, I'll post pics. Took these the night I got it home, so didn't wash the car.
IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

And here it is beside my old car

IMG_6937.jpg

Thread Starter #2
Day #2

Next day, straight away got to work on the car to fix small issues.
The wiper arms are extremely rusty and were just drawing attention away from the car, so decided to do something about it.

before-after.jpg

Took them off the car, sanded as much rust off as I could and gave them a couple of coats of matte black. They look good from a distance now, but the finish isn't that great! That'll do till I get myself a pair of new ones.

Day #4

After two days of driving, I got addicted to the engine noise the car was making, it's so good to hear. I initially planned on getting an exhaust for the car to make it sound better/louder. But after a day of research, I found a no-cost way of making the car's intake louder! The intake resonator. Decided to remove it as just obstructs the air flow into the filter, so more air = more power? :P

resonator delete.jpg

Wasn't very hard to do it! Hardest part was finding the screws to the inner guard lol

Let me know what you think.

Ps. The car will get a proper wash as soon as it stops raining :L It's been raining on and off for the past week

Thread Starter #3
Day #6

So after removing the resonator, I suddenly realised that the intake will just be sucking in hot air from the engine bay! So I decided to break open the resonator and use the pipe to make a Cold Air Intake (CAI) to let cool air through the filter.

CAI-p1.jpg

and then it started to get dark so I'm going to put it in tomorrow!

and the first sticker of a small group/team that I'm a part of

sticker1.jpg

Just realised when I popped the bonnet that one of the front strut bolt/nut has been sheared off! It still holds pretty well, but will be replacing the strut hats soon.
[:)]

Attachments

congrats for another new old car buddy! well its very old but very maintained and am also sure it will be fun to drive with AWD and 2.2l engine! [:D]

Thread Starter #5
congrats for another new old car buddy! well its very old but very maintained and am also sure it will be fun to drive with AWD and 2.2l engine!
Thanks man [:)] Yeap, it was well looked after, and I'll try my best to keep it that way! It is so much fun to drive and especially in the wet, absolutely amazing the amount of grip the car has, feels so much more planted than the skoda and the magna!

Finally got around removing the nudge bar! I do plan to keep it with me, but if anyone wants it, I'm willing to sell it lol.
Looks so much cleaner without it [:D]

nudge.jpg

also finished the CAI and installed the pipe back in it's place.

CAI-2.jpg

Now the engine isn't sucking in any hot air [;)]

Congratulations buddy , yeah the car is looking even better without the nudge bar.

So when is the detailing session going to take place?

Thread Starter #7
Congratulations buddy , yeah the car is looking even better without the nudge bar.

So when is the detailing session going to take place?
Thanks man! yeah, I reckon it makes the car look so much cleaner with out it.

I'll detail it when the weather clears up, predicted rain till the end of February! So I don't want to clean the car and have it rained on the very next day :L

Thread Starter #9
Just sprayed the inside grille black cause it was looking a bit dull

Black grille.jpg

Put in a new head-unit cause I couldn't find cassettes that I like lol

Headunit.jpg

and picked up a these wheels which I'll put on when the rubber needs replacing on the current rims

IMG_7340.jpg

350Z

Core Team
Another day, another car. :smile: Congrats for the latest possession. Although its design is simplistic but I’m sure it would be a capable performer. Nice pictures too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11
Thanks mate, it sure is a performer. And the best thing, I don't have to be precious about the body when I'm going off-road.

Thread Starter #13
Just thought I'd update this, been a while..

Cut the centre part of my grille and placed some fog lights behind. Stealth mode lol

IMG_7746.jpg

IMG_7755.jpg

Just another day at uni for me LOL

been testing the rally pedigree of subarus [;)]

IMG_7797.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

IMG_7849.jpg

IMG_7850.jpg

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7852.jpg

Thread Starter #14
Haven't been on here in a long time, so much has changed on the car.

I'll try not to over load you guys with pictures. If any ones wants anything explained in detail feel free to ask.

first up, lowering the car! Two reasons for this, makes the car look much more settled, and more importantly, handles amazingly well.

Old and new struts - New ones have blue springs, they lower the car about 55mm but are progressive coils, matched with shortened Subaru STi shock absorbers.

How it sat with the fronts installed, I couldn't do the rear struts on the same day as I managed to injure myself while putting them in [roll]

Few days later, finished installing the springs/shocks at the back, and this is the height it was sitting at.

went and got some better photos

and now to finish off the handling, I went and got new tyres on the wheels!

Side by side shot with my mates car

Top Bottom