6V Horn in a 12V Bike?

Thread Starter #1
We had a 1979 bullet with us whose horn is still lying around. You all probably know that old vehicles had 6V electrical systems. So, obviously the horn is also 6V. Now my dad and I thought of incorporating that strong horn into our new bullet but the problem is that the new one has a 12V electrical system. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that the horn will fry if operated just like that[frustration]. Is there any way we can possibly use this horn? Maybe with a resistor or something?
WP_20161211_21_43_52_Pro.jpg
P.S: I'm asking this only because we have a horn lying around. This is not an absolute necessity so I don't want to dish out serious money on it[:)]

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello brian, If you wish to use a vintage horn,
We can use a DC-DC step down converter. There are quite a few models to chose from.
Prices range for Rs 60 to 400.
LM2596 DC-DC buck converter adjustable 3V-40V step down module power supply | eBay

XL4015 5A DC-DC Step Down Adjustable Power Supply Buck Module LED w/ Voltmeter | eBay

eBay

I do recommend you get the high end one.

However you will have to test that Horn Signal is DC, not AC. Because AC will fry the converter. Meanwhile, I can also suggest that Rs 400 can fetch you a new 12v horn which will save the converter mess.

Thread Starter #3
I do recommend you get the high end one.

However you will have to test that Horn Signal is DC, not AC.
Thanks for the suggestion, Bhvm. I'll check out those converters. Btw, people say that ebay is not trustworthy when it comes to electronic items. What's your opinion?
How do I actually test it for AC? With a motor maybe?

We had a 1979 bullet with us whose horn is still lying around. You all probably know that old vehicles had 6V electrical systems. So, obviously the horn is also 6V. Now my dad and I thought of incorporating that strong horn into our new bullet but the problem is that the new one has a 12V electrical system.
P.S: I'm asking this only because we have a horn lying around. This is not an absolute necessity so I don't want to dish out serious money on it[:)]
Safe bet, get a new 12V horn.

people say that ebay is not trustworthy when it comes to electronic items. What's your opinion?
Depends on various factors. Read the reviews about seller before placing the order. People generally fall for the mouth watering price (even after knowing the actual market price) and later once the item fails, they start complaining.

Motor? Use a multimeter.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks for the suggestion, Bhvm. I'll check out those converters. Btw, people say that ebay is not trustworthy when it comes to electronic items. What's your opinion?
Not much problem. Send a message to seller and observe his reply.
Serious sellers reply professionally.

To test AC-DC you need multimeter.

Yeah. I think that's gonna be a better choice in the long run. Thanks[:)]
I do agree.

Thread Starter #7
Not much problem. Send a message to seller and observe his reply.
Didn't send a message but saw customer reviews about the seller. 96% positive reviews from 1997 users so that's a good number. Anyway, this is not going to be done any time soon. Thanks for your help, guys[:D]

Top Bottom