4x4 Technical Terms - Explained

Thread Starter #16
Re: Nomenclature

First thing, it will not change because the nomenclature is practiced world over.

I think for the layman this is much easier to understand. First digit denotes the total no. of wheels (on ground) and the successive digit denotes the no. of wheels which can be driven (live wheels). Hope this helps.

Spike[:)]
OT - Hey Pratheesh, nice to have you here! Now we all could look up to some real technical insights into the world of 4x4s. Welcome abroad and switch to 4L[:)]. How's Behram sir doing at Tata?

To all forum members - Friends, here is one of the men who built the Mahindra Thar!

350Z

Core Team
Last edited:
hi,
As far as i am concerned about your question,
you should consult some expert for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is Live Independent Axle?

Hi All

Loads of discussions available in the Net about,

Live Axle Vs IFS
Live Axle Vs IRS

But what I read in Force Gurkha Website is

Axle Ratio 4.375 with Diff lock (Live independent)
and IFS. What is this? Any Idea?

Re: What is Live Independent Axle?

Dont get confused with jargons - live axle is a terminology generally used for SFA(solid front axle).

Live here signifies power is transmitted to the axle/tires, as Gurkha is a 4x4 vehicle power is obviously transmitted to the front wheels as well. So front is IFS and powered(live) and rear is rigid and powered(live)- so they use the terminology live independent and live rigid for front and rear respectively.

btw here is gurkha review

Last edited:

Dont get confused with jargons - live axle is a terminology generally used for SFA(solid front axle).

Live here signifies power is transmitted to the axle/tires, as Gurkha is a 4x4 vehicle power is obviously transmitted to the front wheels as well. So front is IFS and powered(live) and rear is rigid and powered(live)- so they use the terminology live independent and live rigid for front and rear respectively.

btw here is gurkha review
So that translates in to on 2WD Gurkha will be RWD right?

And the review is one heck of it. I read it countless times you know :-).

Last edited:

So that translates in to on 2WD Gurkha will be RWD right?

And the review is one heck of it. I read it countless times you know :-).
Yes a 2WD Gurkha is rear wheel driven, we are anxiously waiting for the Gurkha to be handed over to us to be tested in real world conditions, hopefully very soon.

//we are anxiously waiting for the Gurkha to be handed over to us to be tested in real world conditions, hopefully very soon// Very much. I am looking for this Car to serve my Business need to travel remote places. Only concern what I have is about Safty features. I am OTP. let myself stop here.

Very informative Thread indeed.

Recently I came across a doubt. I was eyeing the Fortuner and specifically the 2.8 4x2 manual.
What I came to know was that the 2.8 4x2 manual does not have Traction control with Brake assist nor ATRAC i.e. Active Traction control.
Now will these make the vehicle ( a big body on frame SUV in this case)unsafe for driving given that I'll be mostly driving on roads or utmost on bad patches in the that one can come across in the daily grind.
I've seen normal Innovas and Xylos racing the Rohtang and Ladhakh. That makes me wonder if these vehicles can manage such terrains why should a 4X2 Manual Fortuner not able to handle normal urban and semi urban terrains?
I request the learned members to please give your inputs on wether absence of Electronic Stability Program or ESP with Brake assist and ATRAC make the 2.8 4x2 manual Fortuner unsafe somehow for the kind of usage envisaged.
Thanks and Regards

Dear team ,

Recently i brought a Mahindra jeep , CJ500 D 4WD Jeep
1978 model with 1997 DI engine, with 3 speed gear box, having average mileage also
Vehicle is Four wheel drive, but disengaged the mechanism , only front housing . no four wheel drive lever nothing .

On hilly road , (means steep slop on city and village roads) vehicle refuse to climb on first gear, and stops .

i consulted a good mechanic, test drive and he told no complaint with engine and clutch.

i consulted a good pump mechanic, test drive and told no complaint with pump,

He says DI engine RPM does not match with old type 3 speed gear box " gear ratio ".
asking me to replace with 5 speed gearbox and rear housing Crown and pinion with more teeth( matching 5 speed )

Dear team please help me ,

Last edited:

Top Bottom