4x4 Driving Tips

Thread Starter #1
Posting some 4x4 driving tips culled from, believe it or not, the Tata Xenon website[surprise][clap][drive]. Members could add up to these with their experiences.

Driving on Snowy or Icy Roads

Set the selector knob to 4H position. Gently release the clutch and apply the accelerator for a smooth start and to avoid wheel spin.
Use of snow tyres and / or tyre chain is recommended. Maintain a safe distance between vehicles to avoid sudden braking and slow down by shifting down the gears. Avoid sudden acceleration, braking or turning. Such sharp manoeuvers can cause loss of traction and thereby loss of vehicle control.

Driving on Sandy or Muddy Roads

In case the traction on the wheels is sufficient, you may be able to proceed in 4H mode. However in case change in road conditions are anticipated, it is better to select the 4L mode. Shift the selector knob to 4L position by following the correct procedure and proceed in the normal manner. Your vehicle will move at a slower pace with higher engine RPM in the same gear because of the 4L mode. To match your power and speed requirements, you can shift up in any of the 5 forward gears or the reverse gear.

You may choose to reduce the tyre pressure marginally for additional grip on loose surfaces, though with a slight loss of ground clearance.
Try to maintain a constant engine speed and avoid sudden acceleration which can cause wheel spin and loss of traction, possibly leading to bogging down of the vehicle.

If the vehicle gets stuck in loose sand, do not keep on accelerating as the wheel spin will only result in the wheels sinking deeper.

The extent of muddy / sandy, conditions and the traction available is difficult to judge and the vehicle can get bogged down deeply. Operation should be done at slow speed only. If possible, get down and check the path conditions before proceeding.

Driving Through Water

Never venture to drive through water when it flows over guard stones. Engine may get seriously damaged if attempted to cross over through deep water.

If at all the situation demands that you have to drive through water then;
Keep engine in fast idling and crawl the vehicle in low gear.
After driving through water apply brakes several times to dry liners and to regain original braking.
Do not attempt to start the engine if vehicle gets flooded due to water.

Driving on a Rainy Day

Check brakes, steering and windows.

Check tyres for wear and tyre pressure.

Check wiper blades for proper functioning.

Avoid harsh braking and sharp turns. It may cause loss of control and lead to a skid.

For slowing down, shift to lower gears and brake gently.

Keep lights ON if visibility is poor.

Night Driving

Dip the head lamp for oncoming traffic during night driving.

Maintain a speed such that you can stop within illuminated distance of head lamps.

Use head lamp main/dip beam to alert other road users on turns/cross roads etc.

Use side indicators for lane change or turning.

Put on hazard warning switch in case of hazardous parking or if your vehicle is disabled to warn the passing traffic.

Climbing Sharp Gradients on Loose Surfaces

Select the 4L mode, start off smoothly in any suitable gear. Apply power smoothly so that there is no loss of traction by over-revving of the engine.

Choose as smooth a slope as possible and select the appropriate gear so that gear changing in the middle of the climb is not required. Changing gears in the middle of the climb can cause loss of momentum and engine stalling. Shifting to lower gear has to be done cautiously to avoid loss of traction.

Under no conditions should the vehicle be moved diagonally across a hill. The danger is in loss of traction and sideways slippage, possibly resulting in tipping over. If unavoidable, choose as mild an angle as possible and keep the vehicle moving.

If the wheels start to slip within few feet of the end of the climb, motion can be maintained by swinging the steered wheels left and right, thereby providing increased grip.

If the vehicle stalls or losses headway while climbing a steep hill, make a quick shift to reverse and allow the vehicle to move back with the control of engine compression.

Descending Sharp Gradients

Select the 4L mode and depending on the severity of the gradient, shift into appropriate gear. Use engine braking judiciously without over-revving the engine.

Brake application under such situations should be done very smoothly to avoid loss of control. Select appropriate gear so that gear changing or clutch disengagement is not involved while descending the gradient.

Towing the Vehicle

For towing the vehicle, the best way is to use a recovery van.

Alternatively use a rigid tow bar.

Avoid using flexible cable or rope as your vehicle may crash into towing vehicle when it stops suddenly.

Switch 'ON' Hazard warning switch to warn the other road users.

Keep the engine in idling so that power steering assistance is available. This will also build the vacuum for the brakes.

In case of brake failure, use parking brake to control the vehicle.

Attachments

I have always wanted to give it go in a proper 4x4 in slush, sand and water. but I don't own one and never got any chance to drive one in such conditions.
Hope to fulfill my dream sometime

DRIVE SAFE

I have to disagree with the driving through water guidelines!

If you try crawling into water, the fluid resistance will stop you in your tracks. Following which, you will be forced to accelerate, which will cause your wheels to lose traction and dig in to the moist soil underneath. The revving also makes your engine susceptible to any water that may splash into the intake!

The tried-and-tested technique we used to use when we used to go on Safaris is:

Aim the vehicle such that there is a straight path between your entry and exit point, gather the maximum controllable speed depending on the terrain. Select a gear such that the revs are ~2000rpm. Keep the throttle and steering as steady as through the water, you don't want to lose your inertia. As you leave the water, continue for at least 10 metres before stopping, there is often a layer of soft soil around water bodies which you don't want to get stuck in.

You only need to pump the brakes (for drying) if you have drum brakes, if you have disc brakes the rotation of the wheels is enough to dislodge most of the water.

Here is few snow driving tips based on my experience:

1. First and fore most things you need to do is bringing the vehicle to good condition. Before winter starts, check for the following and make sure they are good / you have it in your vehicle. NO COMPROMISE on these as it will risk you and also others

a. Check the tires, if its worst replace it.
b. Check for brakes, brakes should be good. If its bad replace it.
c. Check Wiper blades and replace it before winter starts as you might have damaged your old blades in previous winter but using it against snow frozen in your windshield and also by regular usage.
d. Check all fluids in your vehicle, use antifreeze windshield wiper based on the place where you stay, I used to use antifreeze which can sustain till -20 deg Fahrenheit. It helped me a lot when temp dropped down to -50* centigrade this year. Keep an extra can of fluid when you happen to travel long distance.
e. If you are regular traveler of hilly terrain, would recommend using snow tires and chains. Else you can use all season tires which are more than suffice for regular plains.
f. Keep a handy portable Shovel in your vehicle; this will help you when your vehicle stuck up in deep snows.
g. Keep Torch light, energy bars, blankets in vehicle, occasionally you might get stuck in traffic jam, having energy bar will keep you away from hunger.
h. Check head lights, if needed replace it.

2. As Sam said don’t try to accelerate your vehicle as you normally do in regular days which might result in spin and occasionally go out of control. Be gentle on your gas (I mean acceleration).

3. Don’t break hard as said in first post, but at the same time make sure your break should not freeze, if you break freezes then your vehicle will not stop even though you apply safe breaking. So be gentle on breaks at regular interval ,which will create friction around your break drum / disk break and avoids freezing , so when you apply break when needed you vehicle will be in control.

4. Use low gears to drive, which will give you a mechanical traction, so that you can stop your vehicle at safe distance. Down hill during snow time with this approach will work well. I always prefer this.

5. Don’t accelerate your vehicle when you turn , doing so will skid the vehicle .

6. When you get stuck in snow , first and fore most thing you have to do is be calm , do get panic, you can remove the vehicle with ease by following below steps
a. Keep your steering straight, make sure you have ample amount of space to reverse.
b. Engage reverse gear, slowly accelerate and maintain steady steering.
c. If you have company or co traveler, ask him to give a little push from the front of your vehicle so that your acceleration and the push from his end will give considerable amount of power to come out of the snow.

7. When driving if you happen to slide, don’t be panic, follow the below steps to return back to track
a. Take your feet out of gas pedal (accelerator)
b. If your rear/front wheel skids, steer in the direction you want the front wheel to go.

8. Park your vehicle with hand break engaged.

9. Turn on your head lights to increase visibility to other motorist.

10. Refrain from using Cruise control during snow times.

11. Take extra caution when you travel in bridges and over pass , as they have thin structure ,they will freeze faster than regular roads.

12. Always try to have clear visibility, Run the air conditioner/ hot air to remove condensation and frost from interior.

13. Don’t try to over take.

According to me “TECHNOLOGY WILL NOT CREATE MIRACLE” it can only help you out to a extent, A 4wd /AWD/ABS/ECS will not guarantee that you can drive safe without any issues, so follow driving ethics when driving in ICY/SNOWY conditions and more over be sensible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sir for nice tips collection, all at one place.

Driving on Sandy or Muddy Roads

You may choose to reduce the tyre pressure marginally for additional grip on loose surfaces, though with a slight loss of ground clearance.
I have seen drivers removing air just before starting desert safari in Dubai, but point is, how much air pressure to decrease from recommend tyre pressure?

If the vehicle gets stuck in loose sand, do not keep on accelerating as the wheel spin will only result in the wheels sinking deeper.
In such condition, you steer tyres on right or left side while using reverse gear, often you come out of sandy area, & then try another nearby area to move forward.

Climbing Sharp Gradients on Loose Surfaces

If the vehicle stalls or losses headway while climbing a steep hill, make a quick shift to reverse and allow the vehicle to move back with the control of engine compression.
This usually occurred twice in hilly area while I was TD. What we did was, apply complete break to halt the vehicle in stalled position. Then applied 2-3 big stones at rear wheels so that vehicle won't slip back when brakes released. Then started engine & revv up to 2000-2500rpm, 1st gear applied & gradually clutch released, & with gradual forward motion, climbed the steep rise completely. Now with experience, now we even take 2WD cars like Innova over that steep rise near my friend farmhouse in hilly area. It has become some sort of benchmark in our group where we test our new vehicles. But before attempting that, we keep 4-5 big stones ready to help the crisis, if any car is stalled in between.

Don't know how much HLA (Hill Launch Assistant) will be helpful in such scenario.

Last edited:
Here is few snow driving tips based on my experience:

1. First and fore most things you need to do is bringing the vehicle to good condition. Before winter starts, check for the following and make sure they are good / you have it in your vehicle. NO COMPROMISE on these as it will risk you and also others

a. Check the tires, if its worst replace it.
b. Check for brakes, brakes should be good. If its bad replace it.
c. Check Wiper blades and replace it before winter starts as you might have damaged your old blades in previous winter but using it against snow frozen in your windshield and also by regular usage.
d. Check all fluids in your vehicle, use antifreeze windshield wiper based on the place where you stay, I used to use antifreeze which can sustain till -20 deg Fahrenheit. It helped me a lot when temp dropped down to -50* centigrade this year. Keep an extra can of fluid when you happen to travel long distance.
e. If you are regular traveler of hilly terrain, would recommend using snow tires and chains. Else you can use all season tires which are more than suffice for regular plains.
f. Keep a handy portable Shovel in your vehicle; this will help you when your vehicle stuck up in deep snows.
g. Keep Torch light, energy bars, blankets in vehicle, occasionally you might get stuck in traffic jam, having energy bar will keep you away from hunger.
h. Check head lights, if needed replace it.
Nice
If you're driving on slippery terrain, you can expect to slide from time to time. and Controlling a slide which is so important skill to master to ensure safety when off the beaten track.
[frustration]

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post and tips, Sam Dinkar. Someone ( who lived in Zambia and has driven a lot of 4wd over there) recently suggested that whenever i engage 4L, i should first reverse a few inches and then go forward. I heard it for the first time. Is it true? Whats the logic behind this suggestion? Any idea?

Hi guys,
I am new here and still learning. But in my 37 years of sitting behind the steering wheel of various 4x4s I saw many different terrains and "driving habits". The very first thing that I learned about off-road and other-than-dry-tarmac surfaces was the rule "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary". Today, that is my signature.

Driving on slippery surface is just that: driving on slippery surface. No more, no less. Losing traction is as bad as it can be even for a couple of meters. There is no universal recipe how to drive 4x4 or any other vehicle on slippery surface. Problem is that all vehicles are different, tires are different, "slipperiness" is different... and so on. The only thing that a man can do is to avoid any, and I mean any, sudden movements, acceleration, breaking, jerking steering wheel, etc. Smooth is a must on slippery surfaces. For the rest, read first post in this thread. Very good and informative post.

If you really want to enjoy driving on off-road terrain, try to learn a fine art of maintaining momentum and controlling inertia. To do that, you must be totally familiar with the car you are driving. How it performs, the amount of power, how fast it can deliver it, how fast and how much it can kill acceleration when you lift your leg off the accelerator pedal... Breaking "habits" of a car are essential to master. Power means nothing on slippery surface. Torque and ability of your car to move slow is what will keep you on the move. You are getting a picture of what I am saying.

Tires are important outside the tarmac. And on tarmac as well. Don't expect mud tire to perform well on dry stone. They are mud tires. Go in the mud with them. Opposite of that, is driving normal road tire in deep mud. Simply it doesn't work. AT (all terrain) tires are very good today since technology went a long way from let's say 40 years ago. Every tire has it's limitations and there is no magic wand that would turn mud tire into HT (hard terrain) tire. And we came to the important point: where do you want to drive your 4x4? When you know your terrain, get proper equipment.

There is a difference between snow and ice. Snow can be as mud and as sand, depending on temperature. Very cold snow is more like sand whereas "warm snow" is more like mud. Almost same rules can be applied for snow and for sand and mud. And of course it is important how deep is your layer of snow? Thin layer of snow becomes ice under your tires in no time. Deep snow equals deep sand or mud.

Ice is a devil. But you can control it... often. Driving on ice is a hell. Most of the time your car will go where it can, depending on roughness of ice surface, slope, etc. If it can go where you want it to go, than you are the winner. If doesn't, you lose. Game over. If the ice is very, very cold, tires seam to stick to it. It sounds crazy but it works. You can control much of a car movement. If the temperature is low, ice under the tire instantaneously turns to water and you slide. Uncontrollably. Hence, avoid any sudden moves of any kind. This is situation of "fast as necessary" to maintain momentum. If you stop on iced slope, praise the god to start moving uphill again. Go backward and try again correcting previous error. In any case don't fight snow or ice or you'll lose. Be smart and conquer it. Go with it, not against it.

Going downhill on ice is double hell. This is situation of "as slow as possible". You get the point. Breaking on ice is possible if the slope is small (shallow) and it is very cold. Best way is to let your engine do the job of slowing down. That way you still have some degree of controllable steering. As long as wheels are turning, you can steer... a little bit. For that, you must know is your car nose heavy, or rear heavy. What will keep inertia or momentum and will want to go straight. Is your nose going to slip forward or your rear end will try to overtake your nose? If you are lucky, some snow on a side of your path will provide enough traction for you to stop.

This is just a beginning and I already became boring. More posts and ideas as they pop up on my mind

Last edited:

Top Bottom