1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration

Thread Starter #1
This bike belong to my Friend and I'm working & posting on behalf of him

'History' about this bike & the owner:
He is a good friend of my mechanic and we became friends at my mechanic's garage only. He is another RX fan, never owned one but rode RX100 for a long term at his work place. He was looking to buy one and ended up buying a 1990 RX100, claimed to be "fully restored" paying a hefty amount sometimes back without taking the opinion from mechanic. Bike was glittering with custom painting and stickering.

Once we (self & mechanic) saw the bike, we weren't satisfied with both performance as well as appearance. But it's already too late. The only good thing is all papers were in form and fit to be on road. Bike was little sluggish and clearly audible noise from engine at all rpms. Months passed, the bike was used in the same condition. Couple of days back the noise started increasing and acceleration deteriorated along with evident clutch slippage. We decided not to trouble here any further.

Having a cup of tea in hand the owner asked "Why don't we restore it?" and with no surprise or hesitation we said "YES". Then we realized, my 3rd RX restoration was already put on hold for Pulsar Classic project and now if we start working on this bike, it will be further delayed. But we don't have another option as this bike is his primary (and only) mode of transportation and we don't want him to suffer. Pulsar Engine was already removed for renovation and it may reach us by next week after the mechanical and painting job. So we started striping the engine & transmission to understand the current condition.

WP_20150410_20_27_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20150412_10_53_47_Pro.jpg

Initial Observation:
- Running on 3rd Oversize Piston
- Not sleeved yet
- Excessive scoring marks in piston as well as Cylinder
- Connecting rod free play at Crank end
- 1 Clutch spring broken
- Clutch plates lost their life long ago
- Clutch bell free play
- Worn out clutch collar
- Sprockets were nearing their end of life
- Messed up electrical harness
- Bent rear axle bolt (we had a tough time removing it)
- Excessive play in gear shift pedal

What to do? Where to do? When to do?
What to do?
Since the bike doesn’t require much aesthetic upgrade, we are leaving this portion untouched as of now.

Phase 1:
- Engine rebuild
- Replace all bearings
- Replace complete clutch assembly
- New screw kit
- Replace chain & sprockets, sprocket hub, rear axle assembly
- New wiring harness
- New lock set (current one has individual keys for ignition, gas tank, side lock)
- OE Handle bar
- All cables
- Gear shift pedal
- Change Transmission oil & Air Filter

Phase 2:
- Better shoes
- Front Disc Brake

Phase 3: (Optional & long term)
- Painting (OE theme)

No detailed snaps were taken, but I will keep this thread updated with more snaps and details.

Thread Starter #2
Current Status:
- Almost all necessary parts procured
- Looking for a used bore (STD or 1 OS) Had some pointers from few known mechanics, we are yet to check them in person (My God, people ask for a hand & leg for used bores)

WP_20150412_10_16_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20150412_10_34_55_Pro.jpg

Little OT:
Something else is being cooked in the back end. We 'MAY' have another thread in near future, if everything goes well and good. Keeping my fingers crossed. [glasses]
WP_20150412_10_29_59_Pro.jpg

So, including the last pic, you have 5 RX restoration projects in which 3 are put on hold and 2 are successfully restored!
RX Restoration Guy, Mr.Boss, Vazhga!, Mr.Boss, Vazhga!

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Man another RX 100, Satish or should I call you "Thalaiva" (Boss[:D]). Including this bike, you have successfully restored how many till now? One was a Pulsar as I remember. If the record of maximum bike restoration on TAI is ever made, it will be you at the top. How do you take out time for such vast restorations and more interesting is the end result as the bike comes out as beautiful as new. All the best for the project. Though I don't have much to contribute in 2 wheeler but writing here simply because I admire your sheer will and passion for them. Do update us as regularly as possible and lastly would like to say, I am mighty impressed with the amount of "R&D"[:)] that goes in every project of your's as I have seen. All the best buddy.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6
Thank you all for the kind words.

Whether this last image bike is in Coimbatore? Are you going to take the ownership soon?
It's taken at Chennai only brother. I visit Coimbatore very occasionally and I won't get time to work on bikes. I'm negotiating to get the bike on last snap, sadly the owner is neither interested to sell nor he uses (bike was dumped on a gar(b)age for more than 5 years)

So, including the last pic, you have 5 RX restoration projects in which 3 are put on hold and 2 are successfully restored!
2 completed, 1 put on hold, 1 in progress and the last 1 is not decided which category should it fall or should it be added to any category.

Including this bike, you have successfully restored how many till now?
Below in the order
1994 Yamaha RX100 - Completed and Sold in 2011
1998 Yamaha RX135 - Completed and in use
1997 Yamaha RXG - Completed and in use
1998 Yamaha RX135 - Put on hold to address other priorities
2003 Bajaj P150 - In progress (on behalf of a friend)
1990 Yamaha RX100 - In progress (on behalf of a friend)
2000 Yamaha RX135 - Yet to start (on behalf of a friend)

How do you take out time for such vast restorations
Little difficult, but manageable. We (self & mechanic) start collecting parts during weekends and on weekdays we work after 9:00pm (it may go upto 12:00am)

Thread Starter #7
Few updates:
- Got the crank fixed with Maco connecting rod
- Center case assembled with all new bearings
- New clutch assembly
- Exchanged the current cylinder for a 0.25 used one
- Got 2T oil tank
- Front forks removed to check for bend

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

The part's name in the first pic is BOSS Clutch!
OK Mr.Boss, you can now post the prices of the spares in the two wheeler spare parts thread you created.

Thread Starter #10
Few updates from last night.
- Block re-bored (2 OS Goetze piston) and fixed
- Front end replaced with Pulsar fork & disk assembly
- Rear axle, sprocket, sprocket hub & dampers fixed
- Front & Rear tyres replaced (the one I took out from Pulsar project)

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Forks had little bend and some scoring marks. Also one was already leaking. I had a Pulsar disk assembly (Forks, hub, rim, spokes, axle, worm gear, caliper, master cylinder, hose, etc) initially purchased for my RX135, but didn't find time to fix them. Those parts were used for this bike.

IMG_1103.JPG

This was the time when I reached home.
IMG_1104.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Successfully completed the job Bike started today [clap](in 6th kick to be precise) and engine runs like a gem without any abnormal noise.

Only few minor tasks pending and that will be completed by tomorrow. Let me post the snaps of final outcome tomorrow morning [:)]

Getthu panringa ponga!
So, 3 RXs successfully restored!
So, next is that 2000 RX135 or Yours RX which is put on hold?

Thread Starter #13
Almost done!
IMG_1189.JPG

Gift for the day
IMG_1190.JPG

I had 3 RX cores (1 missing in this snap) tried all of them for better exhaust note
IMG_1198.JPG

Finally she is roaring [:D]
IMG_1193.JPG

And the Final outcome (minus few pending tasks)
IMG_1196.JPG

At last when we packed up. 1 RX at the extreme right is mine and all other bikes belong to my friends. They keep me busy all weekends[sleep]
IMG_1199.JPG

So, next is that 2000 RX135 or Yours RX which is put on hold?
[roll]
For God sake no more restoration in this summer.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
List of pending tasks:
- Horn
- Rear View Mirrors
- Front brake light switch
- Front Brake hose routing
- Front Number plate
- Oil pump & Tank
- Seat assembly

Thread Starter #15
Job done this evening