18,000 Kms with My Black 'PANTHER' : My 'FAZER'

Thread Starter #16

Fazer

Suspended
looking nice mate
Thanks![:)]

whats the accelration on those bikes?
I will tell you by this evening in my next post.

get into the habbit of keeping it clean !
Why? The 2nd pic? Oh, I was just back from a drive, that's why. And, Mind you, I give the car for wash every second sunday for Rs.35![;)]

let me show ya my car , just took a pic like 10 mins ago

i keep it clean man!!
Yes! I love the Alloys! Are the headlamps HID?
Your's is looking clean also!

Thread Starter #17

Fazer

Suspended
INITIAL OWNERSHIP IMPRESSIONS-

>The FAZER:
Make – Yamaha
Model – Fazer
Colour – Midnight Black
Date of Purchase – 6.5.2010
Daily Running – Approx 28-30 Kms (Home > College > Home > Friend’s House/Some other place > Home)
Dealer – Northern Yamaha, Faridabad
On-Road Price – Rs. 83500
Kilometres done (Till date) – 18358 kms (As on Odometer)
Engine type - Air-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC
Displacement - 153.0 cc
Compression ratio - 9.5:1
Maximum power - 14PS @ 7500 rpm
Maximum torque - 13.6 Nm @ 6000 rpm
Starting system - Electric & Kick start
Fuel tank capacity - 12 litres
Lubrication type - Wet Sump
Fuel Supply - Carburettor
Transmission type - Constant mesh 5-speed
Clutch type - Wet, multiple-disc
Cylinder Layout - Single Cylinder
Bore × Stroke - 58.0 × 57.9 mm
Battery - 12 V, 5.0 Ah
Gear ratios - 1st=2.714, 2nd=1.789, 3rd=1.318, 4th=1.045, 5th=0.875
Primary / Secondary reduction ratio - 3.409/2.857
Frame type - Diamond
Brake type(front/rear) - disc / drum
Headlight - 12V, 35/35W
Caster / trail - 25 degree/ 101 mm
Tyre size (front/rear) - 100/80-17 / 140/60-R17
Suspension (front/rear) - Telescopic/ Swing arm
Overall Length × Width × Height - 1,973mm × 761mm × 1,119mm
Seat height - 790mm
Wheelbase - 1,334mm
Minimum ground clearance - 160mm
Kerb weight - 141 kg

>Exteriors and Features:
Coming from the front, Fazer comes with a colour co-ordinated aerodynamic cowl to keep the wind blast at bay. Yamaha has blessed the bike with Twin Sporty Headlamps, which are adequate for Highway drives (At high beam), But, I face problems at night time in City with Low Beams. I just can’t see where the light is falling on the road! In between the Sporty looking Headlamps is the Parking Lamp/Pilot Lamp, which produces enough glare for people to notice you.
HL 2.jpg

The bike sports 17” Wheels both at the front as well as the rear end. The Rear fender looks out of place from certain angles, maybe because of the thin sidewall of the rear tyre. The front tyre measures 100/80R17, which is very common among bikes (Stunner, etc), but, the Rear Tyre has it ALL, provided with 140/60R17 tyres, It adds to the look of the bike to a Great Extent. Also, it is India’s first radial tyre with 60% Aspect Ratio. Both the tyres being tubeless ones are less susceptible of sudden flattening due to puncture. In other words, “Bande ko Thikane pe pahucha dete hai!”(Are able to take the passengers to their destination.)
582240_328531193882681_972521806_n.jpg

When seen from extreme side, the bike shows its MONSTROUS front and elegant yet sporty rear. The Long, Firm and THIN (really disappointing) seat along with the Large Muscular 12L Fuel tank provides a sportier feel to the bike. The two separate grab bars, as seen in most Pulsars, Apaches, etc, add Style to the side view of the bike and make it a Head-Turner. There are two plastic parts on either side, on which the sticker “Fazer” is placed, are of rather cheap quality and can’t be cleaned without polish, unlike other parts which can be cleaned using a Wet cloth. The Indicators are placed low which do not produce any glare to the Rider and are effective in their job as well. The bike is not provided with any Leg Guard, a missed thing by Yamaha, very bad. The Fazer houses the Mono Cross suspension, which looks Super-Stylish on the bike and also offers an exhilarating ride. The front disc brake adds style in addition to safety in the bike. The Graphics are not rather great but are contemporary and gel well with the bike.
Side.jpg

The rear houses the Taillights as well as the Indicators on the fender itself. The fender provided is long and wide, preventing mud/dirt from splashing up on the bike’s butts. The rear also houses the almost-hidden “Yamaha” logo. Yess Yamaha! The Tail lamp is bright enough at nights with the Indicators also bright enough. The Small fat sporty Exhaust enhances the sportiness of the bike to heights!
Rear.jpg

The Instrument Cluster is not a great looking one, but, it does its function quite well. The Large Speedometer provides better vision and is convenient to read at night. The Tachometer is not that Attractive (unlike the Apache) but does its function well. The Odometer is placed at the centre of the Tachometer. The Fuel Gauge is too small and you have to peep in to see the amount of fuel left! The Indicator does not have separate lights; I have to guess which one is on! The standard things like High beam indicator, Neutral indicator, etc are placed right and are fairly large. I, however, do not like the console much, but, It’s my bike, I have to live with it! Also, the Telescopic forks and all the wiring are entirely visible, which looks cheap!
Speedo.jpg

>Engine and Performance-
The 153cc engine delivers 14PS power with 13.6 Nm of torque. I feel it is not enough for carrying the 141kg machine! The engine is not responsive as I expected in an Rs.80000 bike. The bike takes some time to catch speeds (80-100kmph) no matter how much you twist the throttle. When we talk about 150CC segment bikes, it is rare to find a better one than Yamaha Fazer considering the features but it is solely for looks purpose, not for power purpose. The engine, otherwise, IMO, is perfectly tuned for high speed driving as well as City driving. The engine does not give any Vibration or Jerks, which was the main problem with the Apache RTR 160.
403890_334872446542518_100000592975507_1221784_1143709573_n.jpg

Acceleration -
The Yamaha Fazer leads the list of 150cc bikes when compared to acceleration. The machine can achieve 0-60 km in just 5.6 seconds that is really a mere show of its strength. Pick-up is the best at any speed. Vibration level is hard to find specially on long ride. You can check it even at 5th gear. The top speed is claimed 114 km, cool. So, I managed to do this. Anything more I need to tell?
252032_237361119629572_8266056_n.jpg

>Ride and Handling-

Tyres: Yamaha Fazer has Five Spoke black alloy wheels, which was expected, as it is present in almost all the bikes in this price range. Yamaha has taken a step towards convenience by giving tubeless tyres on both the wheels. The front tyre is of normal size but the rear tyre, being 140/60R17, sets this bike apart from others in terms of looks as well as handling. The cornering, high speed stability and road grip is increased to a great extent. The rear tyre is also claimed by Yamaha to be first of its kind in India. This gives you amazing grip on roads and smooth ride even on bumpy/bad roads. Loss of traction is rare even in Water/Wet roads.
163535_328532137215920_398279779_n.jpg

Suspension: Fazer is equipped with Mom-Cross suspension at the rear and telescopic forks for the front wheel. The Mono-cross suspension can be adjusted 7 times according to the user’s requirement; I use it in second last stiffness mode most of the time! This is an engineering masterpiece as the bike is well formed keeping in mind the suspension and braking technique synchronization.
Suspensoion.jpg

Brakes: Yamaha Fazer has disc brake for its front wheel. Eye catching round shape is not the only thing that you will see but the amazing control of the bike. This ensures your safety on road as well as gives better control of the bike. However, the rear wheel is installed with drum brake. When applied together (say 40% rear one and 60% front), the bike comes to a halt very quickly which enhances safety as well as confidence in the rider.
292120_328531813882619_100001774107954_731714_1972219440_n.jpg

>Comfort -
Looks and performance wise Yamaha Fazer already sets its standard high and with the better changed seating arrangement it gives the best comforting zone you can get into. Forget the problems that were messing up with your long drive plan on your bike. With Yamaha Fazer, you get the best ride of your lifetime! Handle bars are also placed accordingly to provide a better grip and eased up controlling. The seat is best, IMO, for the rider but the pillion has to face problem (Especially ladies) as the seat is too thin from the rear. The Mono-Cross suspension helps in enhancing the ride in bumpy roads as well as in keeping the bike stable on highway runs!
Yamaha Fazer.jpg

>Mileage -
It all depends upon my mood. In good mood (normal driving at normal speeds) and city conditions, this bike fairs out 45kmpl easily and in bad mood (includes revving to higher RPMs); this thing delivers 35-40kpl. On highways, I never get less than 50kmpl, whatever is the mood! Since my running is not that much, I am happy with the mileage.
73261_1585277625721_6497797_n.jpg

>Problems faced -
Till completing one year with my Fazer, I had no issues. But, last year, I felt that the bike was not behaving normally. The Revs were not going to the wheels! I was able to touch 110kmph on 7000RPMs, which was at lower RPMs earlier. I showed it to the service centre; they lubricated the chain saying that it was sludged. The problem was rectified. Otherwise, I have no problems with the bike. Yes, once the Headlight was gone Kaput (Left one approx. 5 months ago), I showed them to Yamaha and they rectified it by replacing the bulb. It took them whole one day to source the bulb! [lol] Else, No major problems faced. Touch-wood.
dgd fcd.jpg

So, This was a small review from my side..[lol]

More pics coming in the next part : GOOD BITS AND BAD BITS..[:)]

DO RATE THE THREAD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics buddy...you have written a quite LOOOOOONGG initial impressions and I am yet to completely read it.
Rest the bike looks really great and it looks like you have installed either HIDs or the bulbs with white light(light blue glass around).

My favorite questions:-
  • Any mods planned(Like angel eyes in headlights etc)?
  • Any stunts etc done?[evil]

Will rate the thread,but after reading the review completely..

@Codename:Now I am seriously gonna pick up a fight with you...seeing a pic of your ride burns my heart:stupid: and you do it in every second thread..[lol]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #19

Fazer

Suspended
Thanks for the pics buddy...
My pleasure bhai! Any review is incomplete without pics.
A thing for tempting you- I still have 20-25 pics saved in my PC! Will post them 2-2 each time!

you have written a quite LOOOOOONGG initial impressions and I am yet to completely read it.
Haha! That is in my blood! [lol]

Rest the bike looks really great and it looks like you have installed either HIDs or the bulbs with white light(light blue glass around).
Thanks. Yes, I got HID's with Blue Angel Eyes 1 week ago :)
409359_334872366542526_956974918_n.jpg
385949_334872409875855_100000592975507_1221783_1311796069_n.jpg
Angel eye.jpg

Any mods planned(Like angel eyes in headlights etc)?
No. Not any till now atleast till 5-6 months. I have already got Angel Eyes.

Any stunts etc done?
Yes, simple smoking stunts! No Wheelies, Stoppies, etc. Just Burnouts ; my favourite timepass
Here's a pic-
The Burnout :
389178_439284639430737_1596367297_n.jpg

Will rate the thread,but after reading the review completely..
Okay. Review will be complete in next 2 days FLAT!!

@Codename:Now I am seriously gonna pick up a fight with you...seeing a pic of your ride burns my heart and you do it in every second thread..
Really true! I have seen his car many times! [;)]

NOTE : The pic in which the Comfort is shown, i.e. My friend Sardarji riding, is his Fazer, not mine, and the one in which ORVM's are straight (Exteriors) is not mine, friend's, don't get confused!

Last edited:
2 days flat!!!
I am scared,why?Because in 2 days you are going to write 10 pages and then ask us to 'RATE' them!!:biggrin:

The angel eyes are looking great.In fact they give the effect like its an eagle'e eyes.And the mid light enhances the look even more.

Is there anything available for 220 too like the angel eyes?BTW,what is the cost of getting the angel eyes installed?

About stunts part:-
I spoilt my 200 in the same and did a lot of them with Fazer too as I was a part of a stunts group.
Hence shame on you,why?Because Fazer/FZ is the best bike for pulling stoppies.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #21

Fazer

Suspended
I am scared,why?Because in 2 days you are going to write 10 pages and then ask us to 'RATE' them!!
[lol] No,No. Just Pros, cons and verdict in the last part..which will hardly cover half page!

The angel eyes are looking great.In fact they give the effect like its an eagle'e eyes.And the mid light enhances the look even more.
Thank You Thank You. Infact, I had this plan from the first day itself (my friend, Sardarji, has them in his bike from the very first day!, See above pic), But, Finally the time has come! Now, I gain a large crowd looking at my bike at college!

Is there anything available for 220 too like the angel eyes?
I don't think so, seeing the Headlight arrangement in p220. Maybe, You can check aftermarket shops if they can do some JUGAAD!

BTW,what is the cost of getting the angel eyes installed?
Angel eyes costed Rs.700 and HIDs 4300k (mine are colour changing ones - Blue, Purple, Pink, Yellow, White) costed me Rs.5500..Will elaborate in detail afterwards.

About stunts part:-
I spoilt my 200 in the same and did a lot of them with Fazer too as I was a part of a stunts group.
Hence shame on you,why?Because Fazer/FZ is the best bike for pulling stoppies.
[anger] I love my bike and don't want to destroy it.. Burnouts are occasional!
I am AFRAID that I will fall off! [lol]

Last edited:
congrats on your 1 year bike.. the review was so damn good.. kudos!
And I loved the angel eye.. looks great.. so how does it work? I mean you have separate bulb for headlights na? so, how do you switch on the angel eye?

And don't listen to TSIVipul unless you are ready to spend some hefty amounts for the damages which might cause. I have seen how stunt vehicles look after a while even though a few occasional stunt is fun!
no offense to TSI :tongue:
erm, once my friend's Dio fell off on the ground while I tried a wheelie but nothing happened to me. I just watched the dio going by itself on one wheel & then *thud*! :biggrin:

woaa.. nice explanation mate
good work you did
and ya bikes looking nice too
and DON't burn the rubber man , it aint worth it. your just abusing your ride.

Thread Starter #24

Fazer

Suspended
congrats on your 1 year bike.. the review was so damn good.. kudos!
Hey! It's 2 yr old now. Well, Thanks. Actually, One part is left..which will be up by this evening.[:D]

And I loved the angel eye.. looks great.. so how does it work? I mean you have separate bulb for headlights na? so, how do you switch on the angel eye?
Thanks. See, I can either turn all lights off, angel eyes+ parking lamp on, HID, Parking Light and Angel Eyes on. I have the stock buttons (Off, Parking Lamp and Headlights) which are used for the purpose above respectively. For the angel eyes and parking lamp, I have to turn the switch to 1st position (Parking lamp on)..In other words, The Angel Eyes are connected with the Parking Lamp.

And don't listen to TSIVipul unless you are ready to spend some hefty amounts for the damages which might cause. I have seen how stunt vehicles look after a while even though a few occasional stunt is fun!
No..I am not a Stunting geek or a member of Stunt Group like Vipul, But, Sometimes, I can't control myself, especially on empty roads and just do what is done in the pic!

erm, once my friend's Dio fell off on the ground while I tried a wheelie but nothing happened to me. I just watched the dio going by itself on one wheel & then *thud*!
Similar thing happened to me on Nova (Old one). I was not attempting a Wheelie, Just starting the scooter (using Kick Start and Accelerator twisted to half!) and without any stand! It went straight with me hanging on one side(say, Flying!) and straight into a park (Town Park's Footpath, Sec12)[lol]

woaa.. nice explanation mate
good work you did
and ya bikes looking nice too
Thank you Thank you!

and DON't burn the rubber man , it aint worth it. your just abusing your ride.
No no.. This is just occasional, in empty roads, with Friends, when the JOSH sets in! [lol]

Thread Starter #26

Fazer

Suspended
hahah in that josh I did once my car and my car had to get new set of tyres
400 dollars down the drain
what a bummer
[lol] My tyres are still healthy, See-
303165_2314547739418_896496255_n.jpg

Cheers.

haha yeah but why risk it though

those 400 for 2 tyres are my fords

skyline's each tyre costs about 380 each- Michelin R18, 235,40

Congrats for your 100th post Fazer..the review is really interesting-Ah,I have read it completely.
Amazingly one thing you did unexpected-You wrote it honestly.[clap]

Waiting for next part to come...

BTW,the dynamics of FZ/Fazer are fantastic for stunting,but this is not the good bike for burnouts.This bike is good only for one thing 'stoppies',Pulsars and CBZs are better at wheelies and burnouts.Say thanks to that fat rear tyre with excessively high grip which makes the bike unsuitable for burning rubber and quite weaker top end(above 6000 rpm)as compared to others that bike feels unsuitable for pushing wheelies.
But no doubt,rolling stoppies are pulled very easily,safely and efficiently on this bike.

Caution:The above mentioned words were just indications,kindly never try them at hom without any expert supervision.

Waiting for next part to come up...

Thread Starter #29

Fazer

Suspended
haha yeah but why risk it though

those 400 for 2 tyres are my fords

skyline's each tyre costs about 380 each- Michelin R18, 235,40
Buddy, Post a pic of the Skyline from the rear..Never seen one!

Congrats for your 100th post Fazer..the review is really interesting-Ah,I have read it completely.
Thank You Thank You.

Amazingly one thing you did unexpected-You wrote it honestly.
Thank you Thank You X 100000000 times[:D]

BTW,the dynamics of FZ/Fazer are fantastic for stunting,but this is not the good bike for burnouts.This bike is good only for one thing 'stoppies',Pulsars and CBZs are better at wheelies and burnouts.Say thanks to that fat rear tyre with excessively high grip which makes the bike unsuitable for burning rubber and quite weaker top end(above 6000 rpm)as compared to others that bike feels unsuitable for pushing wheelies.
But no doubt,rolling stoppies are pulled very easily,safely and efficiently on this bike.

Caution:The above mentioned words were just indications,kindly never try them at hom without any expert supervision.
But, I am not an Expert and I love my Bums and Life more than the bike! Also, I have seen my friend fall off from his p220 unexpectedly while doing a wheelie and got a fracture in his right hand!! Please, I am not that much involved in stunting. I just like cruising at high speeds with Angel Eyes on! :)
I love my bike and don't want to abuse her now...Now, I am involved in STUDYING![lol](2nd yr has come up! It's high time to start, Right?)

Waiting for next part to come up...
I am going to post it in next 1-2 hrs only! [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30

Fazer

Suspended
Good Bits and Bad Bits

>Pros:[thumbsup]

>Excellent Appearance (MONSTROUS!)
>Excellent Handling (Wide rear tyre : 140/60-17)
>Excellent Road Grip, Cornering, Stability (Rear Tyre again..)
>Tubeless Tyres (Convenient in case of punctures)
>Amazing Pickup (with rider+pillion)
>Amazing Acceleration (Especially 0-60kph)
>Super Stylish EXHAUST! (Haha..Even better than p220’s)
>Comfortable ride on bumpy roads and Stable ride on Highway Cruising (Mono-Cross Suspension)
>No VIBRATIONS at all
>Black Wheels, Black Leg Guard gel nicely with my Black Panther!

>Cons:[thumbsdown]

>High Price for a 153cc engine (Rs.83000 for 150cc bike)
>Low on Mileage (It is Okay for me, considering my running.)
>Seat is not suitable for the pillion (Ladies especially)
>All wiring, telescopic forks below the console are visible to the rider
>95kph+ output is not satisfying (No matter how much you twist the throttle)
>Looks Odd from Rear at certain Angles
>Not the BEST Instrument Cluster (Are you listening YAMAHA?)
>No Stock Leg Guard
>Plastic Part Quality
>No space for keeping essentials (Sunglasses{Chulbul Pandey!}, Mobile, etc have to be stuffed in the pockets)

>Modifications done till now-

>Leg Guard : BLACK (Normal One)- Rs.600 (REMOVED)
>Leg Guard : BLACK (Less effective but stylish one)- Rs.550
>Angel Eyes : BLUE (Rs.700)
>HIDs : Colour Changing- (Rs.5500)
>Parking Lamp : BLUE ; Free By Dealer(Rs.500)
>Number Plate (Rs.150)
>Some Stickers (Total Rs.400..till now)

>Modifications planned in future-

>Roots Wind tone Horn (Not Sure)
>Nothing Else (Waiting for something to go Kaput!)

>Overall Verdict-

Seeing the Rs.83000 price bracket, I consider YAMAHA FAZER to be an ASTONISHING Sports Touring Bike from the YAMAHA stable. It is filled to the brim with its sporty appearance and best-in-class handling. It is worth every single penny I have spent on it. The bike, just like everything, has it’s own Pros and Cons. It is upto the Buyer whether he can survive with the Cons to enjoy the Pros. In the last two years, my panther has served me faithfully and I LOVE IT!

>Rating-(Thanks to 350Z)

>Looks and Appearance : tenstar.gif (10/10)
>Ride and Handling : tenstar.gif (10/10)
>Maintenance Costs (Low means high stars) : eightstar.gif (8/10)
>Spare Part Availability : eightstar.gif (8/10)
>Pickup : ninestar.png (9/10)
>Comfort : tenstar.gif (10/10)
>Seating Position : ninestar.png (9/10)
>Mileage : eightstar.gif (8/10)
>Acceleration : ninestar.png (9/10)
>Stability : tenstar.gif (10/10)
>Responsiveness at high speeds : sixstar.gif (6/10)
>VFM : eightstar.gif (8/10)

>OVERALL : ninestar.png (9 out of 10)

>SOME PICS :

206462_209785925717838_100000592975507_730675_4805473_n.jpg

261650_232329516799081_8240584_n.jpg

268497_10150712750415221_5483946_n.jpg

269730_10150715220685221_7110907_n.jpg

283175_232329163465783_100000661026952_791585_1443428_n.jpg

374844_248654755203659_1200559051_n.jpg

404069_10151485679095221_615230220_23728893_425686957_n.jpg

534426_328531683882632_1777712309_n.jpg

If anybody has anything to ask/enquire/share, feel free to do the same!
So, With this, The OWNERSHIP REPORT IS OVER.

Do RATE the thread..

Packing Up![:D]

Top Bottom