15+ Year Old Cars To Go Under Stringent Checks

Thread Starter #1
Some sad news for the vintage automobile lovers. More than 15-year-old vehicles not permitted to ply in Delhi, irrespective of fuel type, vehicle class (2 wheeler, 3 wheeler, LMV, light / medium / heavy commercial vehicles)

NEW DELHI: Dismayed at increasing air pollution in the national capital, the National Green Tribunal today held that all vehicles which were more than 15 years old would not be permitted to ply on the city roads.

A bench, headed by NGT chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar, also directed that wherever such vehicles of this age are noticed, the concerned authorities shall take appropriate steps in accordance with law including seizure of the vehicles.
Source: More than 15-year-old vehicles not permitted to ply in Delhi: National Green Tribunal - Economic Times

Re: No more 15+ years old vehicles in Delhi - Green Tribunal

Yes, this news also came in TOI yesterday's newspaper. I was literally in tears!

I am planning to buy an RX when I turn 18 but my dream won't come true.

Thread Starter #4
Re: Government Proposes Fitness Tests For Private Vehicles

More than 15-year-old vehicles not permitted to ply in Delhi
I am planning to buy an RX when I turn 18 but my dream won't come true.
Unless the rule extend to all metros or you get shifted to Delhi, your dream can still come true.

What about the vintage cars ? No rallies , nothing?
That's the big worry now. Other option is to conduct vintage rallies outside Delhi[frustration]

PS: Mods who merged a separate thread with this topic, please understand the current thread is related to fitness test for private vehicles, but the subject on discussion is other way round. Though the vehicle may be fit, it cannot be allowed to ply on Delhi roads. I'm wondering that no action is taken on some threads with least value and replies, but this topic is merged to an irrelevant thread.

Re: No More 15+ Years Old Vehicles on Delhi Roads

No Doubt, they will come to Chennai as well in the name of pollution control.

You know, Chennai esp. Pudupet has a lot of 2strokes which are 15 yrs old(Except 1995above bikes). So, Pollution control = Death of 2strokes

Thread Starter #7

what about vehicles entering into Delhi for one or two days trip ?
I don't think there should be any issues with it (not sure though)

PS: I remember reading somewhere earlier there was a proposal in Delhi, refueling at fuel stations require PUC to be produced. I hope that wasn't implemented. That's another trap to catch the vehicles without valid PUC. Again, it is another chance for the fuel stations to bribe the one without PUC (dispensing fuel at higher price)

We often have stupid rules issued because the authorities are too lazy to actually do some work. All they need to do is conduct tests on vehicles that are over a specified age to determine whether it's polluting or not. Another important thing is to check fuel adulteration as that is a major contributor to the problem. Instead they bring out rules with no thought of ramifications, why? because they can as there's no real automobile association to object. Automobile manufacturers will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

The discussion for banning 15 year old vehicle has been there for sometimes and Car manufacturers were pushing for it. From their perspective it would increase their sales. Not sure how far this will work out.

We need to balance pollution control and impact to owners. In my opinion, instead of banning a vehicle based on years, they can evolve a criteria where vehicle pollution is tested and if it is exceeding limit, the owner can be fined heavily. If it is beyond a certain limit, then the vehicle can be banned. Independent test centers can be established.

Great move to make sure 10% of cars go off road each other
a) Otherwise people are buying bigger cars and roads not getting wider
b) so many old cars parked to block space

I agree (16 yr car owner myself) its not perfect, but still this seems only way to reduce congestion (pollution wont decrease)

WHAT ?!!! How ? I um....What am I hearing ? This is Shocking news.Thank you For The News Mr.Boss.This indeed is Sad and Shocking.So...This is the True Last years of 2 Stroke Bikes and Old Cars (Padmini,Old Waggy,Alto,Amby.etc).Not 10% Mr.Vaibhav,More than 30% of Cars are going to go Off-road.I also think and am Scared Restoration of Old Cars and Bikes are also going to be made illegal or are of no use.I wonder what will owners do with their Old Vehicles.Worse,recently restored ones.Crush them ? How on earth can we do that ? This flood will definitly hit Whole India including Chennai,Mr.Boss in the name of Pollution control.RSVB is right.It is going to boost the sales of new cars and bikes drastically and Petrol Prices.Pudupet,As RSVB said,Is the Home of Old Cars and Bikes.So that place is going to be deserted.Mr.AshBabu also have a Good Idea there but It isn't going to be as effective as this,Mr.Boss ? Now That Rally is also a question.Where will these cars and bikes go ? The RXs,Shoguns,Yezdis,Zundapps,Jawas,REs.etc.Where will they go ? I am afraid even My dream can't come true.On restoring my 'Tizzy and using it,right Mr.Boss ? I am very sad of the Condish on RSVB too : I am afraid even he can't own an RX 100.Why can't some manufacturers provide something that can reduce the Pollution of these Old Vehicles and Oh...I just forgot.What about Busses,Auto-rickshaws and any Private Transport ? They newest ones are even more than 16 Years Old.TVS and Bajaj still use Old 2 Stroke Engines to manufacture Autos.Not to forget some 2 Stroke vehicles those are still in Production like the New TVS XL ? That means 80% of the Busses and almost 8 in every 10 Autos in Delhi and in Chennai Only will not be allowed to be on the Roads,right ? Please reply Mr.Boss.Thanks

Oh...I just forgot.What about Buses, Auto-rickshaws and any Private Transport? The newest ones are even more than 16 Years Old. TVS and Bajaj still use Old 2 Stroke Engines to manufacture Autos. Not to forget some 2 Stroke vehicles those are still in Production like the New TVS XL? That means 80% of the Buses and almost 8 in every 10 Autos in Delhi and in Chennai Only will not be allowed to be on the Roads,right ? Please reply Mr.Boss.Thanks
Sorry to interfere, can't resist the urge [roll]

Even if the buses and trucks are kicked off the road, it will make quite a big difference. Most of the times trucks kick out a BIG cloud of black smoke in the higher rpm ranges. It is not that objectionable since many of us Diesel car owners will agree that the same happens to their cars as well. BUT many trucks will do it all the time the engine is running. If the engines are same since 15 years, tuning them correctly should do the trick (or not?). Okay, even if they decide to eliminate all cars older than 15, these guys should give a permit to Vintage cars. There are less numbers of vintages that exist today so that much should be manageable. Better still, instead of all this nonsense just set a norm and conduct a Proper emissions test in all cities (Most PUC guys will just give you the certificate without conducting a test) and kick out all vehicles that do not match. Sure it needs more funds - you can take your time, NGT. By the way, NGT, I respect the initiative - But only Delhi will not be sufficient.

That's true Shrid.It will still not be sufficient even if this rule is on every Metro City.Govt has to do something about this.

Great move to make sure 10% of cars go off road each other
a) Otherwise people are buying bigger cars and roads not getting wider
b) so many old cars parked to block space

I agree (16 yr car owner myself) its not perfect, but still this seems only way to reduce congestion (pollution wont decrease)
I cant agree with your words.

a) bigger/premium cars are very costly to maintain and many of them not lasting 15 years due to this. Checkout the state of premium cars in 1998-2001 now. But the same time people spend money on low cost cars for maintenance and their resale value is higher even though they are not roadworthy.

B) people who doesnt have much daily usage going for used cars. There is no point they are buying a new car and keep it parked.

There are many other ways and Need to consider many things .

-after 2000,each year vehicle sales incresed in huge margin mostly 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers too.

-vehicle usuage increased hugly and most vehicles run 1lakh km within 5-7 years.

-In the saftey/performance/milage point of view these vehicles are far better than old models though the build quality is not that better.The vehicles which sold in the year 2000-2001,I guess atleast 50% of these vehicles are not in the road now.Most of these will be 2wheelers. If frankly told, earlier vehicles build to last and current ones build for a cost.

-In heavy passenger vehicles,Most of the states already not permitting more than 15 year old vehicles.

Car older than 15 years

Recently I found out that all the cars which are 15 yrs and older will be not be given a go ahead to continue in major metropolitan cities. They either have to be scrapped or send to smaller cities with NOC.

I am assuming that these car will be sold for much cheaper price and more people will be able to buy them and drive them in smaller cities which are usually not equipped to handle too may cars. [clap]

These will result in more traffic jams and accident on the roads...

Top Bottom