“Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (5 Years Report)

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Re: “Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (4 Years Report)

My XUV battery is also becoming weaker. Its already 5 years and counting. Its Amaron OEM.
How come you have so many batteries all lined up. Is this your home inverter supply??Just being curious.:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Thread Starter #768

bhvm

Honoured Member

Thnderbolt took us to Poona last week. 750KM in single day.
MID showed an FE of overall 13.5 KMPL (I assume real 12.5 KMPL).
Half of Center cabin lamp is now blown (Which I asked mahindra to cover in warranty last time). Waiting for it to fully blow so that I can mod it with High CRI Chips!
Otherwise Beast is reliable and a pleasure to drive as usual.

Attachments

Last edited:

waiting for the mod. do let us know and a writable of that with pics.

Thread Starter #770

bhvm

Honoured Member

Is your dome lamp blown too?

Thread Starter #771

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hello Folks, I am back after a long time.

A lot has happened and a lot has not happened with XUV thunderbolt.

1. Thunderbolt completed 5 years of faithful service this April. And has entered my long term fleet.

2. Warranty and Zero dep insurance has expired. So Road ahed is unknown. So far Mahindra has gone a great job honoring warranties and unexpected repairs. However, Niggles have settled down and I hope for the best.

3. As the warranty is done for, My itch for some mods is strongly coming back. Not really about form, but functional mods. I have a lot in like- EGR Delete, Remaps, Engine upgrades and so on. I will take time to reflect upon these and understand pros & Cons before jumping in. So Bring on the discussion, folks!

4. Thunderbolt was suffering slow crank these days. So I swapped the battery with one of my commercial vehicles and problem went away. Its amazing the stock battery has completed 5 years and is ready for more. With some charging cycles and use, it will back to XUV again. I infer, all the sitting around is the cause of slow crank.
Cranks are super fast after battery swap now.

5. Beast has seen less use, ODO stands at 84K Kms.
A major service is coming up.
This time, I am planning on Engine flush and EGR cleaning, along with some premium oil or additives as need be.

6. The performance as usual is enough to keep one happy. However sometimes, I feel engine has become little more linear and the sudden turbo rush has mellowed down. The difference is very small, perhaps in the margin of error. I hope engine flush and decent servicing will bring back the fire!.
Tyre noise has increased these days. Falken WILDPEAK ATs have aged 20K Kms without a single puncture in any of the paws.

7. Did about 3000 KM run few weeks back. Just out of curiosity, I drove sedately with Cruise control pegged at 92KMPH. Please note that this is not hypermilling. I used all the 140 Horses as the need be. And kept my safety at topmost priority. And the results are nothing sort of shocking[evil]
Thunderbolt on the trip, has returned the best ever, In my vehicle's life, in my OWN life, the record fuel efficiency.
MID showed 17.2 KMPL, while TFTF method confirmed 15.9 KMPL.
Whats more impressive? The figure includes gurelling bombay city traffic and 2nd gear driving for about 2 hours. Bombay-Puna Expressway was also one of the major tracks. Otherwise I was confident I would break the 18KMPL bank.

So there goes folks,
The engine is not only very powerful and refined, but can provide staggering fuel economy with sedate driving.

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

Hello Folks, I am back after a long time.
1. Thunderbolt completed 5 years of faithful service this April.
5. Beast has seen less use, ODO stands at 84K Kms.
Thunderbolt on the trip, has returned the best ever, In my vehicle's life, in my OWN life, the record fuel efficiency.
MID showed 17.2 KMPL, while TFTF method confirmed 15.9 KMPL.
Whats more impressive? The figure includes gruelling bombay city traffic and 2nd gear driving for about 2 hours. I was confident I would break the 18 KMPL The engine is not only very powerful and refined, but can provide staggering fuel economy with sedate driving.
Congrats.You are leading the pack(of us XUV owners).Keep it up[clap].You are driving three times more than what I get to drive[anger].
Congrats once more on this fantastic(17.2) average.Yes you can break the 18 km/ltr barrier,if you try little bit patiently.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #773

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: “Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (5 Years Report)

Thunderbolt took us on 500KM trip to Gujrat.

1. We were travelling with too much luggage. Both the 2nd and 3rd row were folded flat and full to the roof with luggage. Check pics for the same.

2. The effect of luggage (Although it wasnt terribly heavy, i have carried heaver luggage than this weight wise.) That I got very planted ride quality. Speed breakers did not upset rear suspension as they usually do. Potholes and breakers felt soft. As expected XUV likes some weight for comfortable ride quality.

3. Engine felt very linear and little low on the rush. This is quite strange. Since a few last trips i have missing a little Turbo spike from the engine. The difference is very small and not noticeable if you have'nt driven the beast since day 1, with a very close watch on all the parameters. And this is not due to luggage or weight.

4. FE of 13.1 KMPL by TF Method. 12.5 by MID.

p.s- Remembered I had disconnected battery to swap it. Maybe that resetted the ECU and loaded a default, linear map.

Attachments

Thread Starter #774

bhvm

Honoured Member

84K Service update-
After the recent trip, I went in for timely 80k Kms Service at ASC. The 80k Is a major service which includes all oils change including brake oil. All filters change. Coolant change. This time i had literally zero issues to report. There was slight grinding noise in brakes. Nothing else.

1>The rotors and front brake pads have been replaced for the same. Rest everything is regular.

2>Service charges have really increased, I do not remember such high charges before.

3> Used liqui moly Engine flush and Oil additive to free up the engine and regain some performance. Nothing noticed yet. Will update if improvement noticed.

4> Gave the leather a good shine with Waxpol Leather polish at home.

5> Total bill 26k which feels on higher side. Regular service & Oil change has costed 13k.

Attachments

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Sirji Now is the right time to sell it and buy a new fortuner or endeavour.
I know you have taken full care of this car.
I know you might be loving it more than me loving my own car.
I know you might be hurt and angry at me for uttering such words.(sorry if it hurts you)
But sirji aapne ab worth nikkaal lee hai.Ab thoda bahut aage wale customer ke liye bhi baksh do.
I am scared that after spending 26000/- these utterances of mine will anger you to no limits.
BUT still Sirji Now is the right time to sell it .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #777

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello bro,
why do you think I should sell the car? There is a lot of life left. Infact more than enough life is left as car is still very fresh. Even the ASC were impressed the car was very clean outside & Inside. Even filters were quite clean.

I have used fortuner 4x4 for 140k Kms. Its not comfortable nor Fuel efficient. Also service is quite a bomb. Also, the pep & Acceleration of XUV is on different level than all BOF SUVs even thrice the price.

I think its not time to sell the car but find a decent showroom or FNG with reasonable charges but deep knowledge of XUV.
My plan would be to modify this an enjoy a few years more.

Last edited:

Sirji Now is the right time to sell it and buy a new fortuner or endeavour.
I know you have taken full care of this car.
I know you might be loving it more than me loving my own car.
I know you might be hurt and angry at me for uttering such words.(sorry if it hurts you)
But sirji aapne ab worth nikkaal lee hai.Ab thoda bahut aage wale customer ke liye bhi baksh do.
I am scared that after spending 26000/- these utterances of mine will anger you to no limits.
BUT still Sirji Now is the right time to sell it .
Buddy it's not even 100K and you are telling him to sell it off? Mine has crossed 110K on the ODO and still running stron. In my last service the SA was taken by a surprise when he saw the ODO of the car. His words were like" sir you have kept your car very well maintained and this would go another 1 lac kms without any fuss the way you have kept it. 1 Lac on the ODO is nothing for these cars bro. You take care of the ca and she will love you back the way you do.

Hello bro,
why do you think I should sell the car? There is a lot of life left. Infact more than enough life is left as car is still very fresh. Even the ASC were impressed the car was very clean outside & Inside. Even filters were quite clean.

I have used fortuner 4x4 for 140k Kms. Its not comfortable nor Fuel efficient. Also service is quite a bomb. Also, the pep & Acceleration of XUV is on different level than all BOF SUVs even thrice the price.

I think its not time to sell the car but find a decent showroom or FNG with reasonable charges but deep knowledge of XUV.
My plan would be to modify this an enjoy a few years more.
Hope you doing good buddy[:)] And you are right it's the right time to modify the XUV and find a decent FNG. See if you have any Bosch one's around you.

Attaching bills for reference.
Hi,

Mine has also crossed 80k mark, and got its servicing done last week. the total bill came to around 17k. My breakpads were replaced earlier so they were not changed this time.
Apart from this not any big issues. Just a concern that my front left side door was replaced 3 years back, and the paint on the same door, specially the inside part is now coming off.

Very bad paint job from Mahindra :(

Top Bottom