“Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (5 Years Report)

Re: “Thunderbolt” XUV 5OO Detailed Review (Decals, Audio, LED, Mods++)

Actually I was also thinking the same to add Hellas on top install them with HIDs and you got yourself a truck/bus basher.

but if you put them on the sides they would protrude a lot and might look bad. Can you not just cut the protruding portion?

Thread Starter #62

bhvm

Honoured Member

Actually I was also thinking the same to add Hellas on top install them with HIDs and you got yourself a truck/bus basher.

but if you put them on the sides they would protrude a lot and might look bad. Can you not just cut the protruding portion?
don't install hids that way. they'll blind everyone and someone may bump onto you, or you could get a cop ticket. else, it's cruel to do so. head over to candlepowerforums and lean a thing or two about technical as well as ethical aspect of lights.

I'm planning to put high quality leds on those rods. they'll perfectly fit On top of it. won't protrude at all.( I guess you got the wrong impression that I'll mount them like Mickey mouse ears... sideways ).
I don't want to spoil the front look of 500 or install a bull bar.
thanks!

I know yaar about HIDs have been dealing with them from the past 3 years.

I was considering the Hella Black Magic 500/1000 to mount on them. they have a black colored glass and looks super cool.

can you send a link of the LEDs?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #64

bhvm

Honoured Member

I know yaar about HIDs have been dealing with them from the past 3 years.

I was considering the Hella Black Magic 500/1000 to mount on them. they have a black colored glass and looks super cool.

can you send a link of the LEDs?
are you an auto dealer?
I prefer to make leds myself as always. good leds are just not available in India. one or two cree xml 10w on each side shall be super bright and also power efficient. 8 degree lenses. as usual, I tie them up with high beams so that I don't blind anyone.

no i am not an auto dealer just an enthusiast who has installed HIDs in many vehicles. My bike thrice, XUV low beam has been converted to HIDs.

From where will you source the 10Ws?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #67

bhvm

Honoured Member

no i am not an auto dealer just an enthusiast who has installed HIDs in many vehicles. My bike thrice, XUV low beam has been converted to HIDs.

From where will you source the 10Ws?
Kinsuk, I am not able to locate an electical point to attatch my LEDs into. The High beam fuse which I had planned to tap into is always Live! [confused]
Looks like the switch is AFTER this fuse. So the option remains to open the headlight Loom and splice into the wire near Bulb or Connector. Thats not just acceptable right now.

On the other hand, LEDs on my Low beam are working flawlessly!

Thread Starter #68

bhvm

Honoured Member

THUNDERBOLT XUV 500- 5000KM (1st service Update)

Hello friends, Today I am pleased to Bring you the detailed update of my experiences at "Ms Satpuda Motors, Jalgaon" for my 1st service. This is the same place we had purchased the Vehicle from.

Summary-

Date- 01.08.13
KM reading- 6300
Overall FE before service- 12.5, FE after service 14.8~!! [evil][clap]
Service cost- 2567 Rupees (Enging oil and some top ups)

We reached the service center at 10 in morning, and were pleased to see less rush this day, I had an appointment made earlier and my vehicle was immediately taken in. Greeted the usual Branch manager and others and proceeded to Customer Longue. Fortunately, got to meet the Director of Dealership and had a small talk. He asked if I needed a second vehicle to go somehwere or If I had some Complaints with vehicle etc...

Complaints/Queries and their answers-

1)Exessive Dust in Front Brakes-
XUV uses an Asbestos-Free brake material hence the Dust is little more than Safari or Fortuner. This is normal and I was shown 2 more XUVs and 1 Scorpio for the same. However, The Braking is fantastic and was verified when i Braked Heavily from 170!!

The Brake pads were Opened and were told to have about 30~35k-Km of life worth on them. The assembly was Cleaned and Greased prior to Fitting.

2) Clutch Releases Abruptly- I complained that I was not happy with the behaviour of XUV clutch and this would often cause the Engine to Clip on Slow Traffic or Speed Breakers. If revved to prevent clipping, the vehicle would lunge very aggresively which is bad in bumper-bumper trafic. Alas, there is no “setting”. Perhaps the Cheetah Likes to “Pounce” Its in the blood, live with it.

3)Steering vibrate at 100+ KM/H-
Checked the Air pressure in all tyres. However could not solve the problem. Perhaps some Alignment and Wheel balancing would help at next mid-visit.

4)Average FE poor compared to Other XUVs-
FE improves about 300~400KM past 1st service. Mine had hovering about 12.5, but now after a 700Km Trip to Bombay, is an Astonishing 14.8!!!

5)Hard gearing When Downshifitng to 1st or 2nd-
Recommended to downshift linearly, Like When going from 4th to 2nd, engage 3rd short while. Also as the vehicle is new, Gearing will improve after 1st transmission oil change at 10,000Km service.

6)SW update- SW update performed. No difference Noted However. No Complaints.

7)Sometimes Hot air coming from Feet ac vents- Problem not understood or re-created.

8)Wash-
Free services have free washes, that are usually charged 350 Rupees. Washing service was good and there were 2~3 people working constantly. Things Included-
Exterior Pressure wash
Interior Air jetting
Engine bay cleaning/Wiping
Making vehicle Dry and Cleaning between seams/joints.

Washer Fluid added-

First time saw the Intercooler, which was Air Blasted-

Other Observations-

1) Nice Covers were used during the overall service. This is more Comprehensive than what Toyota or Tata Guys offer. Also notice the small gear lever cap! So cute.

2) My LED Low beams got a lot of attention and many people wanted to experience the beam output at night. People where amazed that this was a Home made and No-Dril/ No Splice install.

3)There were No issues with my Photo taking at the service center. Which is very pleasant, as the Toyota Guys won't even allow me to stand near vehicle , let alone the pics!

4)Other XUV had arrive for accidental repairs. Notice the Mammoth Radiator!

5) some First view pics of the underside of my Thunderbolt!

6) Next serivce is at 10,000km.
We immediately left for a 700Km Trip to Bombay. Updates coming up.

Thread Starter #69

bhvm

Honoured Member

Trip to Bombay With XUV 500 "THUNDERBOLT"

Total Run- Appx 700KM
Type- Mostly Highway with some City runs
FE- 14.8 on Highway (This is my benchmark) and 11~12 in City
Target Speeds- 80Km/h Freeway, 40KM/h or less in City.

We set off early at 5 AM. I was driving and my Wifey was along, Adjusting music, GPS, Snapping Pics etc. Very enjoyable Ride. Connected my Samsung NOTE via BT for calls and Music. The Note has to be on Oxygen (Charger) all time, or it will die off in few hours[roll].
We entred Outsikrts of Bombay (Ghatkopar) near 10.30 and Our Destination ( Peddar Road) by 12.10. Very good speeds for 330Km Run With breakfast, I think.

We had set the GPS straight to our destination. This is the first trip we made Boldly upon the dependence of GPS alone. We had never gone to that area, but thanks to GPS, we reached spot on! It sure deserves a pat on the Back. However on the way back home, it tried to guide us from some interior road after Nashik (Going towards Dhule) I added a Via point on Highway, and all was good.

Enjoyed many fascinating waterfalls past Nashik/Bhandardhara

There were bouts of immense Fog at times and Rain was all time Hit! We put the XUV functions to great use including Front and rear Fogs, Headlights, Auto Wipers, Rear Defroster, Rear wiper etc. I wish the rear wiper was somehow synced to auto wiper function. It sometimes ends up running dry and we have to keep turning it on/off.[confused]

I saw many people using hazard lights during fog which could cause Confusing between Parked/Failed vehicle and moving Vehicle. I used my Front and rear fogs in the Condition. What's your opinion Guys?

On the Mid way (Both Times), we Halted at PALASH FOOD COURT for some tummy filling. Very Serene atmosphere and excellent quality Food. Ample parking. Highly recommended on that route!

Food Quality was top notch!

Lots of Wiping !-

Upon entering Bombay, we were halted by traffic police. My heart was beating loud. He inspected my License and Car documents, Then let us go.
Phew! gues he was looking for a bait but could not Find anything to Loot me[:)]

Here are the FE shots-

Its gradually improving on Empty stretches of freeway.

Now best for the last!
I saw an Scorpio with TAI stickers on it that read-
"Buckle up or go up"!

May I Know here can I print or buy such stickers!

Last edited:

Kinsuk, I am not able to locate an electical point to attatch my LEDs into. The High beam fuse which I had planned to tap into is always Live! [confused]
Looks like the switch is AFTER this fuse. So the option remains to open the headlight Loom and splice into the wire near Bulb or Connector. Thats not just acceptable right now.

On the other hand, LEDs on my Low beam are working flawlessly!
Hi bhvm, instead of splicing the wire before the connector you can always put in an extra wire in between the two parts or you can attach thin wires on the high beam bulb socket itself.

Regarding the Steering wheel vibration get wheel balancing done it is because of that. I have faced the same issue and it has gone after balancing.

Do note that the vendor will push you for both alignment and balancing to be done but one does not need to do alignment after balancing.

Thread Starter #71

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hi bhvm, instead of splicing the wire before the connector you can always put in an extra wire in between the two parts or you can attach thin wires on the high beam bulb socket itself.

Regarding the Steering wheel vibration get wheel balancing done it is because of that. I have faced the same issue and it has gone after balancing.

Do note that the vendor will push you for both alignment and balancing to be done but one does not need to do alignment after balancing.
thanks for the inputs kinsuk!
I thought about the same. putting thin wires to high beam socket to trigger the relay and hence fog lamps.
infact that's the trick I have used for connecting low beam leds. thin wire into low beam fuse socket and just press fuse on it. with just 8watts of power draw, works like a charm sans relay.

now what I need is a thin,flat strip like wire can can be brought out of headlamp housing but still allow dust /water cover to fit snugly. I've seen some PC hard disk wires like that. let's see...

for the balancing, I'll keep in mind.

else, what do you think of my service updates and trip?

The downshifting is hard even in mine when going to 1st. the point what I have observed is that the downshift to first is hard only when it is not required, when required the first gear slots in very easily. i.e. when I feel a hard downshift to first I let it remain in 2nd gear and it picks up smoothly. try it and see.

My dust/water cover is almost detached as after the HID installation the wires are coming out. what we can do is get a backup cover from the svc and make a small incision in the present one for the wire to come out. I am guessing cutting the cover wont be required as its rubber and slight incision should do the job.

Thread Starter #73

bhvm

Honoured Member

The downshifting is hard even in mine when going to 1st. the point what I have observed is that the downshift to first is hard only when it is not required, when required the first gear slots in very easily. i.e. when I feel a hard downshift to first I let it remain in 2nd gear and it picks up smoothly. try it and see.

My dust/water cover is almost detached as after the HID installation the wires are coming out. what we can do is get a backup cover from the svc and make a small incision in the present one for the wire to come out. I am guessing cutting the cover wont be required as its rubber and slight incision should do the job.
thanks for the tip. I'll try it out .

so you're using it without dust cover at all??
any Water entry issues?
I was thinking ribbon wires like they're used to connect Printer head. they're thin and very flexible. perhaps I could wriggle them outta the dust cover seals without any mods or incisions at all!

till now no water entry issues though i am worried everytime i take Optimus out in rain.

Looks like your FE has increased after first service as we discussed before. But that's a real good FE, 14.8 kmpl[thumbsup]

And i like the way they cover both the front seats and steering while servicing. Good job M&M.

Top Bottom