“Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (5 Years Report)

Re: “Thunderbolt” XUV 5OO Detailed Review (Decals, Audio, LED, Mods++)

Congrats on your xuv.
Looks like this is going to be an exhaustive thread about XUV mods.

Read some parts and felt like i should explain them to you.

M& M wanted it to be called the world SUV.
Hence the feature list and designing looks something which is kept to international norms.

So with the headlights, internationally headlights are meant to be used on low.
Hence the auto light feature has itself set on low.

The blank spot when using low beam should be dealt with when the fog lights are used along with the low beam.

About the not so comfortable third row , made deliberately to avoid it join the taxi clan.
Xylo did join the taxi clan for that very reason.
So either one gets the third row for seating with No luggage or no third row seating with decent luggage space.
If you know what i mean.

This is by far the best XUV 5OO review I have read so far online. Nice pics. Nicely every feature explained. Nice write up. Kudos to you man.

My best wishes to you and all the best for your life with the cheetah.

About the not so comfortable third row , made deliberately to avoid it join the taxi clan.
So either one gets the third row for seating with No luggage or no third row seating with decent luggage space.
If you know what i mean.
[lol] Just dont buy your logic here. So why not give only 5 seats (2 rows). Why to serve half cooked food. Is this documented some where or you just infered it form somewhere.

Thread Starter #18

bhvm

Honoured Member

U can test the defogger only when the window mists.

The antenna is embedded in the front windshield, as far as I remember.
Is there a way to test it sans the mist? Like it turn it on and feel the heat or something? Maybe i'll try tomorrow. But these heat is so high that glass are scorching hot anyways.
Congrats on your xuv.
Looks like this is going to be an exhaustive thread about XUV mods.

Read some parts and felt like i should explain them to you.

M& M wanted it to be called the world SUV.
Hence the feature list and designing looks something which is kept to international norms.

So with the headlights, internationally headlights are meant to be used on low.
Hence the auto light feature has itself set on low.

The blank spot when using low beam should be dealt with when the fog lights are used along with the low beam.

If you know what i mean.
Okay,
But If you read my suggestion again, I want the Auto Mode to start on Low beams BUT the driver can engage High beams as when required without turning off auto lamps.

For the Fogs, using them in absense of Valid Weather requirements is illegal in many advanced countries so that defeats the purpose. I don't see why they could have intentionally made the shadow Issue. Either its cost saving or they're actually HID projectors but sold with Halogens in India.

This is by far the best XUV 5OO review I have read so far online. Nice pics. Nicely every feature explained. Nice write up. Kudos to you man.

[lol] Just dont buy your logic here. So why not give only 5 seats (2 rows). Why to serve half cooked food. Is this documented some where or you just infered it form somewhere.
ask the question to tata who designed the storme in that way.
Aria did make it to taxi segment for comfortable 3 rows.
If you get convinced by their logic , Then you can buy my logic here [lol]

Thread Starter #20

bhvm

Honoured Member

Very true. They should have given 5 seater version and save us some Money and TAX, plus an extended wheelbase with PROPER 6 seats (2+2+2) would sell like hot cakes.

Calling a vehicle Taxi just based on 3Rd row comfort would be not fair. Infact it is very Controversial if a Designer made the seats cramped just to prevent entry into Taxi segment.

Taxi choice is much more than seats, The major ones are-

Body form-
SUV's have larger wheel arches, Heavier suspension and AWD provisions that eat away into cabin space compared to MUV and UVs. Also they make the running costs higher than MUV.
Fortuner and Innova has both same seats and similar Plastic/Interior yet innova feels more airy and Last row is somewhat better due to smaller wheels.

Buying cost and Running cost-
This is a major component. I am yet to see anything above 10 lac 7 seater vehicle used as taxi. Also Running costs and FE matters the Most. MUV and UV will mostly have better FE than SUVs. Also parts will be cheaper. Taxi is all about business I know. Hence you can find Sumos, armada, Bolero, Trax,, Xylo, Base end scorpio for taxi due to sub 10 lac segment. But never Safari (LX is minimum variant not like Scorpio who comes with manual windo glass, gray plastics , NO AC etc)

Simplicity and reliablity-
The Hoarde of functions in vehicle like 5OO will either be broken by rough use (read Pesky kids) or will confuse elderly gentlemen. Infact its sad that people don't know how to use all functions of their car, even personal users, So taxi? Forget it! Simplicity makes sense.

Why should I ask any one? I have nothing to do about what TATA or MnM designed . I am just asking you? Is it documented anywhere or just your perception?

Very true. They should have given 5 seater version and save us some Money and TAX, plus an extended wheelbase with PROPER 6 seats (2+2+2) would sell like hot cakes.

Calling a vehicle Taxi just based on 3Rd row comfort would be not fair. Infact it is very Controversial if a Designer made the seats cramped just to prevent entry into Taxi segment.

Taxi choice is much more than seats, The major ones are-

Body form-
SUV's have larger wheel arches, Heavier suspension and AWD provisions that eat away into cabin space compared to MUV and UVs. Also they make the running costs higher than MUV.
Fortuner and Innova has both same seats and similar Plastic/Interior yet innova feels more airy and Last row is somewhat better due to smaller wheels.

Buying cost and Running cost-
This is a major component. I am yet to see anything above 10 lac 7 seater vehicle used as taxi. Also Running costs and FE matters the Most. MUV and UV will mostly have better FE than SUVs. Also parts will be cheaper. Taxi is all about business I know. Hence you can find Sumos, armada, Bolero, Trax,, Xylo, Base end scorpio for taxi due to sub 10 lac segment. But never Safari (LX is minimum variant not like Scorpio who comes with manual windo glass, gray plastics , NO AC etc)

Simplicity and reliablity-
The Hoarde of functions in vehicle like 5OO will either be broken by rough use (read Pesky kids) or will confuse elderly gentlemen. Infact its sad that people don't know how to use all functions of their car, even personal users, So taxi? Forget it! Simplicity makes sense.
Nice post man.

@bhvm - superb detail unbaised review of the xuv . One of the best I have read so far [clap][clap][clap]And my fav along with Singh890 and kinshuk arya and their xuvs review . And the passion in your review deserve's a 5 star rating . Congrats and have fun with the machine . And are the decals really important ?

@ Superbad - are you really serious ? I mean m&m desgined the 3rd row cramped deliberately ? Really ? As dharmesh has asked already , has the desgin team documented this anywhere ? or is this is your own self conceived sweet and cute logic ?
And xylo making it to the taxi clan was a given , do you think xylo was made with auto enthusiast or offroader's in mind and just the comfortable 3rd row made it slip in the taxi clan ? And what about Scorpio how and why do we see them as taxi's ? Comfortable 3rd row or what new logic you have to explain ?
So what exactly has been the goal in order to priority for mahindra to make a global SUV or to avoid it being sold as taxi ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #23

bhvm

Honoured Member

glad you liked it.
for decals, it's my signature for every vehicle I own. and I had promised mom this time I'll buy other colour than white.(too common ) but alas I had to go white so I made her up by going to offset the boredom with some catchy decals .

Thread Starter #24

bhvm

Honoured Member

Subtle Observations-

XUV

I had Back to Back drives in Fortuner and 5OO, Here are my observations-
>Fortuner has a higher Floor but Low seating position that's Less comfortable Esp for Tall people.

>Navigating 5OO in tight City is FAR easier. Due to reason above, small dimensions and better view of sides. On Fortuner the dashboard is too tall for visiblity and what all I can see is the 'Nose". And I am worried to dash that nose here and there.

>Rearward view is much better in Fortuner.

>Fortuner has tremendous low down torque and engine clipping is absent ! What a relief. You can dump the clutch in Idle speeds and Fortuner Lunges forward; whereas XUV 5OO clips out with a loud THUD.

>The steering is much harder than 5OO, gear is too tall.

>Fortuner gives the feeling of Sitting in a DITCH. Dooor panels, Levers, Dashboard etc is very high and gives you a Suffocating feeling. However on the XUV 5OO door panels etc are low and glass area is extended (esp first row), Giving you a KING like feeling with clear view around. Very airy cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:

^^ Nice little comparo man. Happy to see that Indian manufactured UV is better than those Toyotas in some factors. Please keep them coming, I am loving this thread already. Rating it a 5 star. :-)

@BHVM

Excellent, Excellent review buddy !! I enjoyed reading it completely and yes completely unbiased review and look forward for your updates on you KING of the ROAD [clap]

350Z

Core Team

Note: Post #5 has been updated with additional information as per OP's request.

Drive Safe,
350Z

this comparo is incomplete because you have not given the light effect with low beam and fog lights. (the stock fog lights)
Personally i feel the added lights are a bit of overkill.

Thread Starter #29

bhvm

Honoured Member

this comparo is incomplete because you have not given the light effect with low beam and fog lights. (the stock fog lights)
Personally i feel the added lights are a bit of overkill.
I will try to add another comparison set with 8 way comparison- highs, lows, fogs and led.
lights are looking so due to the camera. shutter speed was 1.6 seconds to make beams appear distinguishable. earlier up the thread, you'll notice that low beams are pretty dim. ( shadow pics )

Thread Starter #30

bhvm

Honoured Member

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...e-powder-xuv-500-brake-issues.html#post287327

Please assist the issue.

Excerpt-
My XUV 500 THUNDERBOLT just returned from a 900KM Trip and I was horrified to find this black soot all over the alloys. Looks like the powder is coming from brake system. Interestingly, it covers only front wheels so the chances of it being dust etc is ruled out. Its definately not just. Smells wierd too.

Top Bottom