“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Plastics are looking like new.
Interior cleaning
View attachment 261121
Yes you are right. Handwork has paid off.It really is looking like New.You are really caring this safari. Well done.
You have posted very beautiful pics of your safari as well as the scenic beauty all around!!
What happened to your fortuner?Had it been still there It would have proved/served better than safari,no?
Where is your right rear hubcap??

Last edited:
Thread Starter #182

bhvm

Honoured Member
What happened to your fortuner?Had it been still there It would have proved/served better than safari,no?
I guess no. Fortuner wasn't my Domain. But I had driven it extensively.
If I still had fortuner It would have been-
1. More reliable
2. More expensive to Maintain (Like many times over)
3. Not as good ride comfort as Safari
4. Not as good FE.
5. beautiful Full time 4wd+AWD+Center diff lock.

Fortuner was given away when we brough XUV in 2013.
Where is your right rear hubcap??
Had removed it during past blowout. Have forgotten to put it back.

fantastic road trip and nature blessed you with lots of rain and lush greenery [clap].Me too love drives in rain albeit the cleaning we have to do after the drive [gun]

Thread Starter #184

bhvm

Honoured Member
Dome lights are randomly coming on and staying on for hours with Doors closed. Looks like there is water entry in the door sensors.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
While you are finding the root cause of the short circuit, remove the CB for the roof lights.
That will help in lessening the tension of lights going on unnecessarily and straining the battery.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #186

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yeah. Currently I have just turned them off. They do this only on Door mode setting. Also sprayed WD 40 in door latches (Where sensors are).

Thread Starter #189

bhvm

Honoured Member
It need not be.
Suspension Setup of DICOR is already superior to Storme when it comes to Offroading.
The front Articulation on my Dicor 4x4 is so much that you need 2 jacks to Change a wheel. So I Carry 2 jacks in the car as one jack reaches the Limit before wheel is cleanly lifted from the ground. This is on solid concrete/Tile floor. I will be worse on uneven terrain. Its strange since I have the Original TATA jack and they haven't thought of this.

BTW I would really love to have a faceoff between DICOR 4x4 and Storme with army spec suspension.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
It need not be.
The front Articulation on my Dicor 4x4 is so much that you need 2 jacks to Change a wheel. So I Carry 2 jacks in the car as one jack reaches the Limit before wheel is cleanly lifted from the ground. This is on solid concrete/Tile floor. I will be worse on uneven terrain. Its strange since I have the Original TATA jack and they haven't thought of this.
They should have thought of this.They sold so many Safaris,with so much mud plugging went on for decades in India and abroad.Its indeed strange. This must not be the case. Check your front suspension and its travel at ASS. Something is messed up there. 2 jacks are never required. Not unless massive wheel diameter is changed intentionally.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #191

bhvm

Honoured Member
They sold so many Safaris,with so much mud plugging went on for decades in India and abroad.Its indeed strange
They did. But only 0.0001 % or so of them are 4x4s. Esp in Indian Scenario.
Check your front suspension and its travel at ASS. Something is messed up there. 2 jacks are never required. Not unless massive wheel diameter is changed intentionally.
The suspension has been rebuilt and calibrated to Factory spec. So I don't think there's anything wrong. Otherwise, the Safari in its typical fashion will eat tyres just within 500kms of tour.
Wheels & Tyres are stock 235/70/R16 HTs.

Thread Starter #192

bhvm

Honoured Member
The blue elephant is looking for new Shoes.
Current Bridgestone duellers don't seem to be very confidence inspiring and have gathered many punctures.

I have decided to keep the stock size 235/70 R16, as Safari is often Intolerant of Upsizing.

Options are-

Yokohama Geolander AT- 8.5K a piece
Michellin LTX force- 8.5k
Apollo Apterrra- 6.5k

Continental Cross contact AT
MRF wanderers AT
Falken Widlpeak AT.

Currently I am leaning towards either Conti Cross contact or Yoko Geos.
Pour in your suggestions fellas.

I can vouch for continental cross contacts ..check out my review..iv done almost 12000 kms since a year.. absolutely fabulous on and off road manners.Mine are made in South Africa and costed 12.5k each for 265R17 size.
Do update on the prices also if you have received quotes from dealer

Thread Starter #194

bhvm

Honoured Member
The elephant went for a routine 90k Service. Details as below-
Reached at 10.00 at TASC.
1. Got engine oil changed to 7L Rest 300ML will be additive..Oil filter changed.

2. Personally checked all diff oils, GB & gearbox oils.
A tube each of liqui moly gear additive was added to rear diff & GB.

3. Door setting done on navigator door by opening pads. Door now opens from outside.

4. Air Filter aired out. Brakes checked. A suspension rubber bush was missing, Fixed that.

5. Greasing prop shafts remains as ASC had no grease gun.

Safari was ready by 11, super fast. However billing took another hour & got out by 12.
Quick & pleasant Service for 3.5k including monsoon bonus & book discount.

6 Reached Tyre shop & inspected Tyres. The guy suggested not to align until new tyres are purchased. Tyres have worn unevenly and are too old to spend anything on.
Got quoted Apollo for 6.5K, Yoko & Michelin at 8.5K each.

What do you think about service costs fellas?
Not just for SUV, but even for normal sedans and Hatchbacks?
P_20190718_103423_HDR.jpg
P_20190718_103516_HDR.jpg
P_20190719_212333.jpg
P_20190719_212348.jpg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Yokohama Geolander AT- 8.5K a piece
Michellin LTX force- 8.5k
Apollo Apterrra- 6.5k

Continental Cross contact AT
MRF wanderers AT
Falken Widlpeak AT.

Currently I am leaning towards either Conti Cross contact or Yoko Geos.
Pour in your suggestions fellas.
Have a look at MRF wanderers AT. They are good and economical too.
NO need to waste unnecessary money on fancy wheels .You have to use it roughly. They will do. I would have done exactly that. Rest is up-to you.

Your service charge is okay, not high at all.

Top Bottom