“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
He ,in the video. is praising storm.
You posted it to join in the praise,(or maybe not) but I perceived this only.
Hence my query...Why praise it if you dont like it.

Thread Starter #155

bhvm

Honoured Member
He ,in the video. is praising storm
He is praising Safari in General.
You posted it to join in the praise,(or maybe not) but I perceived this only.
No. Just a Lightweight Safari video.
Why praise it if you dont like it
Storme has its praises where it deserves. Its an Excellent product.
But I had my reasons to go for oldschool Safari. Being 2019 I will clearly recommend Storme for General use. (And Have on few recent threads).
DICOR guys are hardened Veterans. They need no explanation or convincing!

P.S- I was never a Storme Hater, But My reasons & likings for DICOR are far stronger than storme.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #156

bhvm

Honoured Member

I have been following this guy since quite some time now.
His observations on DICOR are just perfect. As the video progresses, he steals my very words and speaks it out.

Thread Starter #157

bhvm

Honoured Member
Part C. Painting.

As I got my vehicle mechanically sorted, It was time to turn to more cosmetic side of the mods. Painting is one of the longest Write-up. There are tons of pics. It also took me a good 4~5 months to get these things done. I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed working on my 4x4.

c2- Wiper sticks

The wiper Sticks had Faded in the sun. Time to give them a good blast of Gloss black paint.
Each stick is just held in by one Nut. And off they come.
e8QzPCT35E9YxmhcAHdYyNwkj4ITiaj1sSYHOudi-1.jpg

Three Coats of Paint-

or3qz5QwJSXyTF0isbKvBDyGwTEMaIj3eD9tusgp-1.jpg
sjiaK5BfdlVCwlQLcBQu53SRVD0ZDEDLlHyXSloW-1.jpg
ZW_Ih9YBhW4T99Zwq0sAshlZa2mJGps10kVpwgv_-1.jpg

And here is how they look when done-

51U1g0GS25yJvglgNFU2ChWuBD5qvHM1uBvIpuRT-1.jpg
cH8jQr0u4iMph5_RQPB5d368YXfkfktAuM2BIWzI-1.jpg
NYWCig21RxaDsyVsQlEYIURQuLLGT3gP0BYPiqFR-1.jpg

Attachments

Thread Starter #158

bhvm

Honoured Member
c3- Wiper cowl area
The wiper Cowl is known hotspot for rust and debris. Mine wasn't any different.
Take a look-

4P2oO4fA1_pr6__86s5rpINKdk_penrAoJJ7_pwk-1.jpg
qfNEeSbzqLnlUv4kAaCbQpTwPUc2JkyhdepUiK91-1.jpg
Sh0lXBWFeN2qTQQIn2X9uyrmjWXx25YOiX_pH_sC-1.jpg
VE8nvqq2jzpMexWhqN9LYqzjTHbj7w5qQl_ll0di-1.jpg

Got the wiper cowl Cleaned and sanded. We had to clean it over 3 times as everytime there was black water in the bucket. On 4th time we got cleaner water to my satisfaction.

Painted it with Anti Rust-
odkeZrl2CgLhbGUmnGeTxkIV0Iv6i1bZquYj1eTP-1.jpg

These are 3 coats of some neatly thick anti rust.
I also sprayed it white for Visual reasons but forgot to take pics.

The wiper motor, which was out also got painted-

e6ZA2PFU_38HsMjIBiDpClkCljIXs92JvN2T0VPu-1.jpg
PkdUbHWZRytHQvzKPtZWUfzb7bYGfyQjTZ472oTW-1.jpg

Motor was also serviced and links were lubricated.

I also took the opportunity to seal the cowl once and for good.
Adding stiff foam as below-

JsttixNo0qnChkTXiOGIeuXIdfg32IBgRRoLo_k_-1.jpg
TeuqYRUFTxsUdFTIVUIrhVG6PRJMrgHHNrqQCmkc-1 (1).jpg

The vents going inward to AC system were also sealed in same manner. Now There are no smells coming inside vehicle. Yay!

Thread Starter #159

bhvm

Honoured Member
c6- Scuff plates

I Must give it to TATA for designing some of the stupidest Scuff plate Mounts on this planet. Entire engineering is completely faulty. These scuff plates have push pins that go into the body (You can see ground from there) to hold them in place. Needless to say , these pins either leak or break, which means everytime I cross a puddle or wash the car, My Carpet becomes mysteriously wet. What's worse is that water and gunk sits under scuff plates for extended periods and makes these areas Very rusty. I have read many times on various forums of people complaining why carpets become wet in the Safari. Now I know why.

The rust-

6pvMjF3BqjTTigSOwacYX3twpx7OHuFraqXxyTuq-1.jpg
zHvgbe1abz22pwqjEUNEhswdPdcNqsptBlo19cZk-1.jpg

Painted and holes sealed-

qDylZZatuFs1hBL6qmZVLygawijMvYbBgBbLZ5Vd-1.jpg
UBPXjFBe6U9lTpKBndemhimLYtYetjfjRB2JofPy-1.jpg
uxKCH9UlbKk5kXfQSDTEerj8V9wncRB5Hx_9vnOo-1.jpg

Scuff panel before-
kKC4Ctu4HJV0cD2bVP2FOcQ3WhR5OqIRul9MrUfP-1.jpg

After-

zsSncD5t1tuWkfvShrGzkVVo4cFtxuAIyaEvJDSR-1.jpg

I have opened all 5 scuff plates in the same manner and painted them. Closing those holes have also increased the cabin seal and Improve NVH.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Painting/sanding,doing primer etc is my favourite part.I am liking it very much.And I am enjoying watching your pictures. Everything is wonderfully as well as thoroughly done. Congrats for the painting part.
But here too you are hell bent on sealing air and water entry /exit from the cowl area!!

A query to you,from your pics from safari rear axle area.
Your safari has 6 overhanging angles/chassis components by the side of rear crown area on the rear axle,3 on each side. 2 of them have small wheel like / pulley attachment. They are present in even 2 wheel drive safaris but are 4 in no,and the pulley is still there in that. Can you tell what are they,and what is there purpose?
I have been observing these for the past many years in the old safaris.I asked drivers as well as technicians,but never got a convincing answer.BTW they are completely removed in the storm,thereby increasing G.C as well as trail driving capability in that area. Now suddenly why are they removed if they were that important?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #164

bhvm

Honoured Member
Congrats for the painting part.
I am glad you liked!
But here too you are hell bent on sealing air
Correct. Its due to my health.
water entry /exit from the cowl area!!
Incorrect. Water exit is not blocked. there are 3 drains out the cowl. These were reeked with Rat poop, Leaves and twigs. Esp the one below wiper motor. This caused severe rusting in that area. Now sealing frontal air vents will prevent Rodent/ Leaves dander from entering. Water can still seep down from windshield lace and drain below.
They are present in even 2 wheel drive safaris but are 4 in no,and the pulley is still there in that
Safari Rear Axle is a Dana 44 (Modded maybe). The rear spline/teeth ratio is also different than Safari 4x2.
Also, Safari 4x4 has LSD kit at the back. Maybe that explains difference in design. Perhaps 4x4 axle is heavier and needs more support. Also, 4x4 safaris, esp older ones have better build quality than later generations.
Those bearing like things are rubber dampers. They do not spin. But I believe they have a role in Safari's Magic carpet ride quality.
Even I don't have much detail on these things but will surely ask during next service.

completely removed in the storm,thereby increasing G.C as well as trail driving capability in that area. Now suddenly why are they removed if they were that important?
Storme has completely different Underbody and new suspension setup. There is hardly anything common with DICOR. Storme also behaves differently on the roads. Body roll was lessened and steering is much shaper.
They increased GC in certain area like you pointed it out. But made it worse in some due to awkwardly placed/Shaped Fuel tank (only 55L vs 65L here), Underneath mounted spare wheel and very low hanging rear bumper. 4x4 shift motor guard plate was also removed and entire 4x4 wiring/ Sensors are very exposed in Storme.

In Any safari, Touching the diff is not easy unless you are at an awkward angle. First things to hit will front Bumper/ Skid plate. Next comes side steps and body.

Top Bottom