“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

Re: “The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

Guys I need some Input.
I am trying to repair the Bumper Tear on my elephant.
I had earlier repaired it this way-
1.Sanding.
2.Wire Gauze & Epoxy from both sides
3.Body filler.
4.Sanding, Primer & paint.

It looked impeccable for 2 months but sadly has now come undone again (Surat-Dhule Deathway, oh yeah). I worried that the tear may widen and rip out the bumper.

Since I do not want to go along with entire painting (and nor it holds), I am thinking to cheaply tie it using "JDM Stitch" or also known as "Drifter's Stitch"

Do let me know what you think. Or any other way.
Bhai, get a used bumper for peace of mind, or try bodmo.

Thread Starter #77

bhvm

Honoured Member

Bhai, get a used bumper for peace of mind, or try bodmo.
Bondo is not available in India. Nor is Loctite plastic weld. Or I would have fixed it like no one's business.

Not getting a used or new bumper at the moment as all the Paint will have to re-done.
I forgot to Emphasize, Currently the bumper is custom painted blue to match with rest of the theme.

For engine vibrations / nvh replace the engine mounts, they will give you day night difference. They cost around 1600 a pair.

Nose dive is present in all Safari's and the Dicors has it more pronounced.
You can adjust the torsion beams so that the front height is increased which will reduce the nose diving feel.

And for bumpers, use a small mesh heat it up and place it behind the crack so that it serves as a bandage / support. Once the bumper is in shape apply body filler sand it and paint it. This is how it is done in Bangalore..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #79

bhvm

Honoured Member

For engine vibrations / nvh replace the engine mounts, they will give you day night difference. They cost around 1600 a pair.

Nose dive is present in all Safari's and the Dicors has it more pronounced.
You can adjust the torsion beams so that the front height is increased which will reduce the nose diving feel.

And for bumpers, use a small mesh heat it up and place it behind the crack so that it serves as a bandage / support. Once the bumper is in shape apply body filler sand it and paint it. This is how it is done in Bangalore..
1. Engine Mounts are in the list. I wonder why TASC was sleeping all the time I did 3 services with them.[sleep]

3. This is what I had done (No heat though) But came undone. The part of Bumper seems to have stress on it During bad roads and tears off from the epoxy and mesh.

BTW Thanks to TAI community for their continued support![clap]

Attachments

A2. The hunt-

Although Entire OLX and other similar Websites are flooded with Cars, Buying one is quite a task. The More than a year gap in Original thread and this ones explains perfectly. As I went on with my hunt, Few interesting facts came to mind, Often from Insider Info.

1. Only one among about 100 to 150 Safaris is made as a 4x4.
2. Among those lucky ONE in 100, Most of them are exported or are for Police/ Military orders

I am not sure if it was only 1 out of 100/150 Safaris was made 4x4.
Won't it be made to order?

So in all probability the 4x4s were only the ones bought by offroad enthusiasts which are quite less in Number.
Rest those 100/150 Safaris were mostly bought as a style / power statement by the Landlords, Politicos and the "Jaanta hain mera baap kaun hain" types for whom 4x4 was no use.

The true capability of the Machine was never explored by the common man
Although now the scenario has changed a lot with many people picking up the refreshed sibling Storme.

A2. The hunt-

3. Most 4x4s listed on OLX turned out to be 4x2s!. Many people did not even know what 4x4s are! Some people put a jolly 4x4 stickers on their 4x2s to justify. I was like, where the hell is front diff? “Pata nahi sir” was the usual reply.
4. Among the lucky folk that actually brought a 4x4, hardly ever used it. Which means the 4x4 was'nt working. The shift motors or entire transfercases where jammed shut. This is signaled by the infamous “4H & 4L Lights coming together” Scenario. No one knows TF and front Diffs need an oil change once in a while. And at times Rats did their number in the 4x4 wiring. Different causes, Same result.
The final taking of this entire hullabaloo was that there were as low as 0.05% of Safari 4x4s on the Road. Much less if I am talking about WORKING 4x4 systems.

I Was looking for Safari 4x4 on the OLX every evening. Like a religion. Admins of SOUL Whatsapp and FB Groups where also initiated. Sadly, Even those groups had a flood of 4x2s. Infact entire OLX was flooded with Safari 4x2s. Even the price is quite low. So take a hint fellas. For the ones who want to “Reclaim their life” with a used Safari, Better do it now. Prices are all time low and if you don't mind a 4x2, there is a wide range of choice available.

That's still way too common with many people yet understanding the 4wd, 2wd, FWD, RWD.

Just because Safari used to be advertised as a 4x4, People put up on the Ads as 4x4.
I am sure they don't even know what a 4x4 means forget about the Front Differential and Transfer case.

Well.
My heart sank. Upon personal inspection, Every minor scratch, dent and blemish is clearly evident. Forget scratch, There were gouges and cracks in places. Parts had started to rust. As I was about to back pedal to my home, I just called up the wife saying how disappointed I was. And I wasn’t even trying to conceal my sadness. It was evident all along. And something strange happened-

Here goes the call-
Me- Gaadi thoda Khartara type dikh raha hai. [anger]
W- You always wanted a project car na? This could be one.
Me- Yeah but this is too much work. Every panel is scratched. The car looks quite beat up. I usually do not buy such cars.
W- It means you could try your hand at painting and learning custom mods.
Me- You sure? Dad wont like it.
W- One life. Live it.
Me- (Don't know what to say. Dumbstruck)
W- Hello?
Me- Yeah yeah.. I'm bringing her home.

The seller Threw in about 10k discount a few goodies. A new Spare tyre (Bridgestone) and battery was added to the deal. Front and rear fogs (which appear cracked in some pics) were installed new. And he also filled me with 10L diesel. Very professional I must say.

So there goes fellas. A twist in the tale. It was dusk and it was getting dark. I visited the lawyer to make Papers done (Sale deed with affidavit). And at almost as the last streak of sunshine was to go away, I made a healthy Advance to the seller. Remaining would be paid upon NOC. And so we were driving her home. TONIGHT. Unknown car with unknown history. 300Kms. Unknown roads. No GPS. We were coming home.

That really was a Big Boost from your Better Half. Understanding your crave for Customizations and encouraging you to get the Battered Car home.

Kudos to her!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #83

bhvm

Honoured Member

Amazing pics. Your vehicle is shining inside out.

How would you compare the ride of the safari to that of the XUV?
Hello Kinshuk,
Most of the ride experience till now has been summarized below-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t-my-safari-4x4-review-mods-5.html#post573939

It would be wrong to compare ride or comfort of Safari with XUV or anything else for that matter. Safari is a slow, Soft sprung, Cushy lumbering elephant. XUV is neat, Agile, Light, Spirited Jungle cheetah.

Here is a rough comparison of Safari vs XUV

1. Comfort. Much better in Safari. Not just compared to XUV but even as High as Merc sedan standards. Maybe more but not less. Most comfortable car below 50 lacs. Period.

2. Brakes take longer to stop the vehicle. XUV calculations do not work. Brain needs a re-learn. Especially true if you are cruising near 100.

3. Extremely heavy Clutch (ouch!), gearbox, Steering means your comfort levels will drop in city. A few initial rides I had knee pain due to very stiff truck like clutch. Now Other vehicle's clutch appears like stepping on feathers. Gearbox and steering is not that bad once you get the hang of it.

4. Huge play in steering. not good for stability over 120. Forget about making Moose Test in Safari (Emergency swerve)

5. Grip levels seem better. Even in RWD. Never I had wheelspin on my fairly old bridgestones. And I haven't even engaged 4x4. Taking inclines with unpaved/gravel roads are a cake.

6. RESPECT. Is definitely a level up or two. Good old macho looks and huge wide stance. People do move aside.

7. No Flat folding seats, means free space for luggage is actually LESS Than XUV. Yes you heard that right. XUV will hold more luggage and will be easier to load/unload too.
2nd row in Safari Folds forward, which eats about 6 inches of space, which is available for luggage in XUV. This was most noticeable when I had to load a Bicycle in Both of the cars.
227.jpg

228.jpg

229.jpg

8. NVH is ages ahed in XUV. There is huge wind noise, which has prompted many owners to look for solutions (Me Included). It seems Major relief is only from opening dashboard and damping from inside. Which I want to avoid.

9. The lack of Features In Safari, Although I miss but are not as Alarming. Having High quality GPS, Media center, Touchscreen etc is solved by adding a neat phone in Safari Permanently. Rest of the things I do not miss much. My VX model has Airbags and ABS. A major plus there.

10. AC takes long time in Safari. Maybe its due to extra large glass area. Maybe Its design factor. Chills too much at night/Evenings but feels inadequate in Noon. The Roof AC for 2nd row is just for namesake although it seems to have its own Coil.

11. Performance is Much slower. This is where I do miss the XUV each and every time. Overtakes have to be planned both due to hefth/width and slow acceleration. Safari does not like to be floored and often complains if done so.

12. FE of Safari would 12 KMPL where in Same driving conditions XUV would return 16 KMPL. This has been mostly verified. However, The Safari FE does not dip much below 11KMPL, Whereas XUV could go down to 10 or so if driven like a maniac.

Many people I met had Misconceptions that a 4x4 would only return 7 KMPL. I was like bah. It returns same as 4x2s.

13. Size Matters. Being roughly 6 inch larger in every dimension (Height, length) means its a Pain to drive in Traffic. Safari is one vehicle I cannot Dare to drive in city without a navigator by my side. Safari is one of the widest vehicle I've driven. Barring a real truck, Safari is even wider then fortuner as well as XUV. Vision due to very thick A pillars is also not great.

Add this the extra wide turning circle of my 4x4 (Maybe 7 meters or more) means even my society exit is often a 3 point turn. Even the watchman gets confused what I keep doing so. Now a days he flings open doors far wide for me whenever he sees the safari.

14. The charm of Driving a Safari. All the memories of 20 years ago feel the same. Safari drive is a perfect medicine for Bad mood. Its hard to explain in words. And not many will understand it.

230.jpg

Last edited:

Hello Kinshuk,
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t-my-safari-4x4-review-mods-5.html#post573939

It would be wrong to compare ride or comfort of Safari with XUV or anything else for that matter. Safari is a slow, Soft sprung, Cushy lumbering elephant. XUV is neat, Agile, Light, Spirited Jungle cheetah.

1. Comfort. Much better in Safari. Not just compared to XUV but even as High as Merc sedan standards. Maybe more but not less. Most comfortable car below 50 lacs. Period.

2. Brakes take longer to stop the vehicle. XUV calculations do not work. Brain needs a re-learn. Especially true if you are cruising near 100.

3. Extremely heavy Clutch (ouch!), gearbox, Steering means your comfort levels will drop in city. A few initial rides I had knee pain due to very stiff truck like clutch. Now Other vehicle's clutch appears like stepping on feathers. Gearbox and steering is not that bad once you get the hang of it.

4. Huge play in steering. not good for stability over 120. Forget about making Moose Test in Safari (Emergency swerve)

5. Grip levels seem better. Even in RWD. Never I had wheelspin on my fairly old bridgestones. And I haven't even engaged 4x4. Taking inclines with unpaved/gravel roads are a cake.

6. RESPECT. Is definitely a level up or two. Good old macho looks and huge wide stance. People do move aside.

7. No Flat folding seats, means free space for luggage is actually LESS Than XUV. Yes you heard that right. XUV will hold more luggage and will be easier to load/unload too.
2nd row in Safari Folds forward, which eats about 6 inches of space, which is available for luggage in XUV. This was most noticeable when I had to load a Bicycle in Both of the cars.

8. NVH is ages ahed in XUV. There is huge wind noise, which has prompted many owners to look for solutions (Me Included). It seems Major relief is only from opening dashboard and damping from inside. Which I want to avoid.

9. The lack of Features In Safari, Although I miss but are not as Alarming. Having High quality GPS, Media center, Touchscreen etc is solved by adding a neat phone in Safari Permanently. Rest of the things I do not miss much. My VX model has Airbags and ABS. A major plus there.

10. AC takes long time in Safari. Maybe its due to extra large glass area. Maybe Its design factor. Chills too much at night/Evenings but feels inadequate in Noon. The Roof AC for 2nd row is just for namesake although it seems to have its own Coil.

11. Performance is Much slower. This is where I do miss the XUV each and every time. Overtakes have to be planned both due to hefth/width and slow acceleration. Safari does not like to be floored and often complains if done so.

12. FE of Safari would 12 KMPL where in Same driving conditions XUV would return 16 KMPL. This has been mostly verified. However, The Safari FE does not dip much below 11KMPL, Whereas XUV could go down to 10 or so if driven like a maniac.

Many people I met had Misconceptions that a 4x4 would only return 7 KMPL. I was like bah. It returns same as 4x2s.

13. Size Matters. Being roughly 6 inch larger in every dimension (Height, length) means its a Pain to drive in Traffic. Safari is one vehicle I cannot Dare to drive in city without a navigator by my side. Safari is one of the widest vehicle I've driven. Barring a real truck, Safari is even wider then fortuner as well as XUV. Vision due to very thick A pillars is also not great.

Add this the extra wide turning circle of my 4x4 (Maybe 7 meters or more) means even my society exit is often a 3 point turn. Even the watchman gets confused what I keep doing so. Now a days he flings open doors far wide for me whenever he sees the safari.

14. The charm of Driving a Safari. All the memories of 20 years ago feel the same. Safari drive is a perfect medicine for Bad mood. Its hard to explain in words. And not many will understand it.

Great comparo man. looking forward for your offroad trysts.

Hello Kinshuk,

My comments Pointwise

1. Bang On. The Sofa Comfort hasn't been found in any other car yet, Specially the middle row one.

2. Braking in the DiCOR is on the downside, although ABS helps a bit. Haven't driven a non-ABS DiCOR much to comment but my TCIC was a Non-ABS. But then it would hardly reach anything above 140 kmph. Always in the 100-110 range, So never felt inadequate braking in that.

3. It's a Truck by DNA so heavy clutch is expected. Best of luck with a your Muscle building on the Left leg.

4. Steering Play have heard of but personally haven't felt anytime in mine. Did had few close manoeuvres at good speeds and there was a quick response seen.

5. Grip levels, more to do with the driving Skills. Remember the Ecosport Struggling in some Himalayan Road where even Alto's passed by easily.
Overall Weight of the car also helps in Traction for the RWD.
Gravels, Wow, I just love that Sound when the Beast goes over the gravelled road.

6. Respect, Yes the Macho size scares the tiny miny ones on the road and they do get aside.
You won't like to see 2 Tonner in your RVM gushing down on you. So better step aside.

7. Luggage Space. As XUV has flat folding seats thats coz the 3rd row seats are also front faced and after folding them and the middle row a flat bed gets formed.

Safari on the other hand has jump seats which fold neatly to give that full space advantage.

Now if Safari also had flat folding front facing seats in third row, then it would also form a proper flat bed with the middle row folded only at Mid Point and not fully lifted and taken full forward.

So I believe its only a illusion that luggage space is less in Safari.

May be you can try folding the 3rd row flat and middle row full forward in XUV and then have a look.

8. NVH, I just ignore it and enjoy the Truck Feeling. Thats the best way to have peace of Mind, Else you will always be bothered by trying to figure out where the noise is coming from rather than enjoying the drive.

9. Lack of features at times is a blessing as more Electronics- More scope for failures. Aftermarket is flooded with many options so you can just pick anything which you deem really require and use it.

10. AC is a pain point. Large cabin space added with huge glass area makes it really difficult to cool in afternoons. But yes Mornings, evenings and Nights it just chills.
2nd Row AC May be you can try opening and cleaning it. It could that dust over the coils is not allowing the air to get cooled by the Coil.

11. Performance, An ECU remap will change the things. I have the ECU remapped and it runs like a Car. Sorry don't ask the specifics. It was all done by the previous Owner, All I roughly know is 152 BHP is something it produces after the remap.
If not then Build your patience and just enjoy the cruise. Overtake only when you get a clear line of sight with enough space to pass by.

12. "Kitna Deti Hain?" The Question itself goes invalid when you Get a Safari.
Nevertheless 10-11 kmpl is the average that has been heard from many Users.
7 KMPL is way to less even in 4x4 mode. Surely these are from people who have never driven the car or using some weird method for calculating the FE.

13. Size is huge, So it takes a little while to get used to. Over the time you get the judgement and could take fast decisions if the car can pass through a particular gap mostly in busy streets with bikes parked haphazardly.
Turning Radius in a 4x4 is a pain. My TCIC which was a 4x4 it was usual affair to take 3 point turns at the corners of the Building.
Biggest nightmare would be taking a you turn on a Busy street.
It now better with the 4x2 Dicor. No more 3 point turns.

14. The Huge Space and Comfort added with the Road Presence, The First floor Sitting with the commanding view.

My best mood builder is to go on a drive in a Safari with the this Song playing for sure.

Punjab by Karunesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBfF0TPrcVI

Happy Driving the Safari and wish you many more Mile Crunching and Off roading.

Thread Starter #86

bhvm

Honoured Member

Great comparo man. looking forward for your offroad trysts.
Glad you Liked

My comments Pointwise

Thanks for Detailed, point wise reply. I do appreciate where such quality discussion can be Had for greater good. My replies in BOLD above.

1. Bang On. The Sofa Comfort hasn't been found in any other car yet, Specially the middle row one.

2. Braking in the DiCOR is on the downside, although ABS helps a bit. Haven't driven a non-ABS DiCOR much to comment but my TCIC was a Non-ABS. But then it would hardly reach anything above 140 kmph. Always in the 100-110 range, So never felt inadequate braking in that.

In Isolation, VX dicor braking is decent considering its heavy weight. But with my perspective of XUV having sharp brakes, and i10 having even sharper, It felt slow to respond. Now If I drive i10 after Driving Safari, Brakes and throttle feels to sensitive that I am worried about being rear ended.

3. It's a Truck by DNA so heavy clutch is expected. Best of luck with a your Muscle building on the Left leg.

4. Steering Play have heard of but personally haven't felt anytime in mine. Did had few close manoeuvres at good speeds and there was a quick response seen.

Steering Play. Hmm. All my cars had more or less. With TCIC having Highest play of all.
Now That I have rebuilt suspension, Play is 50% of what it used to be, But is still a Far, FAR cry from XUV or anything of that sort.

I wonder how I will react under Moose test (Do watch the entire video)
https://youtu.be/06y2ZRPglsI

I specifically remember SOUL- AMIT saying this is the major upgrade in Storme. Steering and Suspension.
A version Of Jeep cherokke also had similar issues with moose test-
https://youtu.be/zaYFLb8WMGM

Due to the reasons 2,4 & 8 Above, I now drive Safari at a leisurely pace of 80~90 Kmph. With occasional 110 for overtakes. But thats all. It even puzzles my Mom, Who often sees me Setting the tarmac on fire doing x40~x60 KMPH in XUV [frustration]

5. Grip levels, more to do with the driving Skills. Remember the Ecosport Struggling in some Himalayan Road where even Alto's passed by easily.
Overall Weight of the car also helps in Traction for the RWD.
Gravels, Wow, I just love that Sound when the Beast goes over the gravelled road.

6. Respect, Yes the Macho size scares the tiny miny ones on the road and they do get aside.
You won't like to see 2 Tonner in your RVM gushing down on you. So better step aside.

7. Luggage Space. As XUV has flat folding seats thats coz the 3rd row seats are also front faced and after folding them and the middle row a flat bed gets formed.

Safari on the other hand has jump seats which fold neatly to give that full space advantage.

Now if Safari also had flat folding front facing seats in third row, then it would also form a proper flat bed with the middle row folded only at Mid Point and not fully lifted and taken full forward.

So I believe its only a illusion that luggage space is less in Safari.

May be you can try folding the 3rd row flat and middle row full forward in XUV and then have a look.

This is where even I was surprised.
BTW, XUV seats do not go full forward. Instead you pull the lever and they kind of "Sink" Into the floor. Entire mounting mechanism is such that it lowers the seat into itself, And seat almost sits on the floor. Very cool mechanism.

Notice how the bicycle Comes up and over the seats, and very close to my head in the above images (Red Box).

The Same in XUV, Stays well behind Front seats (red box) with a few inches to spare. Also note that the navigaor seat in XUV has been pushed to a more comfortable position (Green box). So its not an Illusion about seats. In both cases, Other tyre of Bicycle was touching the Boot door (with thick sponge to prevent scratches.)
I must really give it Mahindra how they are able to Maximize interior space with such a compact design. In my Eye, XUV wins by about 8 inches better luggage space, lower loading lip, as well as flatbed function.

8. NVH, I just ignore it and enjoy the Truck Feeling. Thats the best way to have peace of Mind, Else you will always be bothered by trying to figure out where the noise is coming from rather than enjoying the drive.

At 80KMPH cruise its not THAT bad. But XUV is whisper quiet at those speeds!
I am going to try cheap Yoga mat Damping for doors when I have the time. Stay tuned.

9. Lack of features at times is a blessing as more Electronics- More scope for failures. Aftermarket is flooded with many options so you can just pick anything which you deem really require and use it.

10. AC is a pain point. Large cabin space added with huge glass area makes it really difficult to cool in afternoons. But yes Mornings, evenings and Nights it just chills.
2nd Row AC May be you can try opening and cleaning it. It could that dust over the coils is not allowing the air to get cooled by the Coil.

11. Performance, An ECU remap will change the things. I have the ECU remapped and it runs like a Car. Sorry don't ask the specifics. It was all done by the previous Owner, All I roughly know is 152 BHP is something it produces after the remap.
If not then Build your patience and just enjoy the cruise. Overtake only when you get a clear line of sight with enough space to pass by.

yes, I was thinking about Adding A tuning Box. Its 26k for Dieseltronics. Much safer than remap and tunable options too. But I will use it mostly use it for better torque for offroading etc as going faster will only worsen Point 2,4,8. Who knows, I may even use the ECO mode to Sedate the Lumbering beast even further and save some money!

12. "Kitna Deti Hain?" The Question itself goes invalid when you Get a Safari.
Nevertheless 10-11 kmpl is the average that has been heard from many Users.
7 KMPL is way to less even in 4x4 mode. Surely these are from people who have never driven the car or using some weird method for calculating the FE.

13. Size is huge, So it takes a little while to get used to. Over the time you get the judgement and could take fast decisions if the car can pass through a particular gap mostly in busy streets with bikes parked haphazardly.
Turning Radius in a 4x4 is a pain. My TCIC which was a 4x4 it was usual affair to take 3 point turns at the corners of the Building.
Biggest nightmare would be taking a you turn on a Busy street.
It now better with the 4x2 Dicor. No more 3 point turns.

Glad to hear someone else has used 4x4 and has gone through this. My dad was skeptical that something is wrong with suspension, and as I got it rebuilt, They have not done proper job or something. Now I can say 4x4 huge turning circle is just normal. But with the 4x4 bug in place, I never think i can go back to any 4x2. Infact, I have made up that any future SUV will be a 4x4 only

14. The Huge Space and Comfort added with the Road Presence, The First floor Sitting with the commanding view.

My best mood builder is to go on a drive in a Safari with the this Song playing for sure.

Punjab by Karunesh

Ahh karunesh Punjab.
I remember
The first time I heard this song was Under open sky, watching the stars. The Device being used was my trusty old Nokia 3230-
https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_230-923.php

In Modern terms, It was a "rooted" phone and I had just plonked in a custom 10 band EQ. I played this song atleast 50 times finetuning it. Back then I also had the DICOR 3.0L. But I didn't know the safari connection with this song back then!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #87

bhvm

Honoured Member
Today I renewed Insurance for by beast.
Went with HDFC Ergo via coverfox.

Previous Insurance was TP, which now got Converted to comprehensive by using Photo Inspection method. Converfox is offering this convenient method where surveyor does not need to come down to your place. The Premium came to 13,800 Including 1 L cover for each passenger.

Thread Starter #88

bhvm

Honoured Member
Guys, A few days back I had a stupid Incident.

I was driving alone when I heard a very faint Ticking sound. Like tik-tik-tik. The sound was proportional to RPM.

Thinking it was some belt noise and maybe belts have become hard due to cold morning, i drove on as I was very near destination.

64_fNrpvcyBAX-HzZoGnWJDww-5HFRu0_HWOeyt0Ty23S6TYtLdnJDSOq4gszmGcfmhIuxjGhP1-ZlGhuz=w1167-h656-no.jpg

sRN5WCcLHy1AxMSIC0QgD0d_VP8Mv70nclPNinEvsGQsUmRO66wYk59HdeLrW6q9kmmtc8iOmJ_PBUz01D=w1167-h656-no.jpg

Upon Popping the hood it was (what appears to be) a damn Fuel leak!

As I had reached my wayoint, I let the beast cool down, and looked up TASC centers nearby.
Soon I was on the door step of TASC Bardoli (Surat). Even before popping the hood, Head mechanic knew what it was. A compression leak according to him. There is a copper washer at the bottom of Injector. According to TASC, this washer sometimes collects Carbon, allowing a gap and hence a leak. They just opened the injectors, Polished the washer with Sand paper, and fixed everything back. A positive experience with TASC bardoli and a job well done in just 10 mins and a bill of 250.

6kbT2cEHImQlOUHEMC63SfSlxUKTSje_KY1kmB1LwtNPGJna9OYfdkGGQuMmkiRF7JNim8n05g6Aar04so=w1167-h656-no.jpg

puvVMDFWZ9tnnQpgHM8fWYY6q5Pge_-vHoWlYiqccMLs4GP-ij5DaHz-w9X9uJj8LoK6T0qx_En5u_sk9z=w1167-h656-no.jpg

3yFFqDrfcrNAzS0iXub0iL7fLkyKDt_HckwqKn2apBMEuQgNkXsBUsx7BE_jGArjEGyA6HiZuNnxmsWsCC=w1167-h656-no.jpg

As usual, I was loaded with crap ton of Luggage-
BzvN9yFuuJZlw4fyFCjVqkp2sFwz9X6RuEr2C1WsL4kAfaPG4fmTKBP3g0q1NWsMn_2quXNSpceWx8xGoD=w1167-h656-no.jpg

nYqT4MAexopcMkNE6HVUwq9OamjlM372K-P1JDojY8363fcTNVPEYYi-8D8Q7Lo9awD3mpmZfUFxgn6bxU=w1167-h656-no.jpg

6I9_TkE174tAVqtjs-lgfU6S6kpWhdm7MJjVhxQBjIC_kpVh79aK00aqmqHeV4TpSsdwYLK5TW-zw23ziM=w1167-h656-no.jpg

The beast is ready and Roaring again. The Beast did about 400KM journey after this and seems to be healthy.
Observations-

1. The Leak noise is VERY faint on the inside. Only a trained ear might have heard it. It sounds like clicking and not what you expect from a leak. A layman (my Brother for example) Would not have noticed. Surprising as Safari has generally inadequate Insulation and poor NVH. The sound however on Opening the hood was very loud and almost tractor like.

2. It might be possible that engine was running or 3 cylinders. However. There were no check engine lights. Also, ZERO and I mean ZERO degradation in performance. It did 100Kmph with the same grade & Zest as it usually does.

3. The issue is well known and minor in Nature.

4. Do not drive if you hear this type of sound. Compression leak can damage injector (Melts connectors) if ignored. Although head mechanic said you can drive 50Kms with tons of rest & cooldowns.

@bhvm, just read your full thread today and, man!!! really i liked it.
1 Month ago, when i sold my Alto Lx, i was also finding a used car in market.
I almost finalised on a Safari 2.2 Vtt DiCor, but all my nearby trusted mechanics scared me by saying that this one beast requires too much on maintenance.
Hence, bought a Tata Manza QJet instead of Safari. But anyways would ever like to own a Safari [Dicor, not Strome].
Liked your review.
DRIFTER

Top Bottom