“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

Thread Starter #61

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: “The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

Nice thread @bhvm.

Its all about how your mind thinks. The whole thread shows that you are upto the challenge and can take challenges. you enjoy the DIY and resolving the issues by yourself which most of the people do not want to do. keeping check on minute issues like taking care of rubber parts, back camera etc etc.

Overall this tata was rescued by the right person......thumbs up man
Thanks buddy.
Lot more updates are lined up. Just little busy with diwali vacation, soon next posts will rain down.

BTW, Drove Safari and XUV on a set of speed breakers (10 Breakers ) Back to back. Both cars in 2nd gear Idle. man-o-man. What a difference in comfort.
Whereas XUV gives a distinct kick (esp rear), Safari felt like it was riding on pillows. So soft and cushy. Even the way Suspension comes back down after the breaker is so smooth and softy.

Also enjoyed the ultra low 1st crawling gear of safari. Almost a granny gear?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I am enjoying by imagining you enjoying your safari.Ha ha ha.
Your observation is correct.
Safari has a double wishbone setup in front.It will always be more comfortable.Also its new isnt it? But it won't last as long as an XUV suspension (which was necessary for its Monocoque platform). Also double wishbone setup is far more costly to repair.

Last edited:

I m here !! Btw you should try something to stop the wind noise from the front doors, I'm exhausted and couldn't find any solution..
try sealing the gaps between the body and the side mirrors. mostly there are rubber seals bwteen the side mirrors and the boday....the air tend to escape inside cabin at high speeds.

i dont know how is the seal in ur 4 x 4 but i did in my mehran as it was taking air.

Thread Starter #65

bhvm

Honoured Member

I am enjoying by imagining you enjoying your safari.Ha ha ha.
Your observation is correct.
Safari has a double wishbone setup in front.It will always be more comfortable.Also its new isnt it? But it won't last as long as an XUV suspension (which was necessary for its Monocoque platform). Also double wishbone setup is far more costly to repair.
Sirji, Welcome in person whenever you want to enjoy my Safari.
I just hope someday, A Person like you will rescue an old Safari and I will no longer feel alone. There are tons and tons of enthusiasts about Other SUVs on the Internet. Range Rovers. Toyotas. Fords. Even BMWs now. But It feels so aloof when I need to find some chitchat about the Safari! Seems no one is interested.[cry]

About XUV yes, Its mostly a fill and drive vehicle. No Maintainance. Whereas Safari suspension needs attention time & being. Yes the suspension has been totally rebuilt. Including ball joints, Bearings and Bushes etc.
I m here !! Btw you should try something to stop the wind noise from the front doors, I'm exhausted and couldn't find any solution..
Wow welcome[clap]
Whats the update on your beast? (I assume you have one?)
And what fiddling have you done till date for wind noise? Its very irritating. So far I have been limiting my Speeds to 90KMPH due to this noise and also that handling of Safari is not very tight.
try sealing the gaps between the body and the side mirrors. mostly there are rubber seals bwteen the side mirrors and the boday....the air tend to escape inside cabin at high speeds.

i dont know how is the seal in ur 4 x 4 but i did in my mehran as it was taking air.
Which gaps do you precisely mean?
In Safari the Side mirrors are attached to the doors. So when doors open, these open too. And yes, door area is (Atleast visibly sealed from inside). Do you mean to open Door pads and check actual internal Mounting of these mirrors?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

Sirji, Welcome in person whenever you want to enjoy my Safari.
But It feels so aloof when I need to find some chitchat about the Safari! Seems no one is interested.[cry]
You have never been alone.Everyone is interested and we are watching you from the sidelines, in awe because you have taken up such a daunting task.We are afraid to comment unnecessarily,lest we break your concentration,or worse demoralise you.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #67

bhvm

Honoured Member
Every reply I get tends to kick me into higher gear (morale). To be frank.
And yes, I do very much appreciate the close support of all TAI family!

Bhvm, i went through your thread. Very well detailed man [clap] I really appreciate your patience in restoring the beast. Loved the way you take every minute thing for restoration. Your thread is like a workshop manual. Keep it up buddy. Wish you all the best. Enjoy the beast.

Wow welcome[clap]
Whats the update on your beast? (I assume you have one?)
And what fiddling have you done till date for wind noise? Its very irritating. So far I have been limiting my Speeds to 90KMPH due to this noise and also that handling of Safari is not very tight.
Thanks, I hope you remember my Chevy Enjoy it was replaced with a Storme. [evil] I have tried all the methods of blocking the air and failed to do so. Hence I increase the volume of the music to overcome this [lol]

Thread Starter #72

bhvm

Honoured Member

The Humongous elephant accompanied us on a diwali trip of Roughly 600 KMS.
As usual, too much luggage when returning.

For those who guessed it, Yes its a full size bicycle among tons of other luggage. Safari is apt tool to shift your house or carry one around!

My Trip experience-
1. Comfort! Oh man. We have forgotten how comfortable something can be. Esp since the roads i was traveling on was very broken for about 200KMs. Safari has that magic carpet ride which is hard to put into words. I am afraid that with move towards sportier and taunt vehicles (SUVs Included) such feeling will become just a relic in time.

2. No difference in performance With or without luggage. It drives the same.

3. VX model with ABS brakes is a boon. Once you get the hang of the pedal (Which has not much linear feedback), You can stop the elephant at your will. Useful for those sudden wretched unmarked speedbreakers (100+ Breakers in trip).
However Safari has huge nosedive, or is it for mine being at 4x4?

4. Engine and Cabin NVH is pretty high. Still looking for solutions. Maybe damping is next

5. Highbeamers! In both directions. Christ, I was counting my hair on the Sun visors. Although I have upgraded to LED headlamps, I desperately need LED High beam assists to bring these M0rons to bow. Will figure out relays tonight.

6. Combined FE of 11.7 KMPL in mixed driving conditions. A little less than expected.

7. Enjoyed the slow crawl over bad roads and tall speedbreakers (1st gear , Idle) wheres other car would have to use clutch. Especially true for speedbreakers at railway crossing which are competing with Mount Everest!
No Scraping or rollback issues (May cars were clipping and rolling back).

8. Temp needle stays at Half during normal drive with AC. However, On sedate Highway cruises (90kmph) it stays a shade below Half. I was able to get it back to quarter with a very lazy stretch without AC at 80 Kmph

Last edited:
Thread Starter #73

bhvm

Honoured Member

The Interior Trim and plastics were looking dull and dry (Faded to whitish color).
So used Kangaroo Dash polish (Liquid spray type) and within 20 Mins got this done. I Polished up Entire Dash, 4 Doors and Steering, gear level and park brake. Also Wiper cowl (Black) and Weather Beadings around Glass and windows (Black rubber ones) with this polish.

One of knobs is Untreated. Can you guess which one?

Once again?

Correct answer-

Results after polish-

Thread Starter #75

bhvm

Honoured Member

Guys I need some Input.
I am trying to repair the Bumper Tear on my elephant.
I had earlier repaired it this way-
1.Sanding.
2.Wire Gauze & Epoxy from both sides
3.Body filler.
4.Sanding, Primer & paint.

It looked impeccable for 2 months but sadly has now come undone again (Surat-Dhule Deathway, oh yeah). I worried that the tear may widen and rip out the bumper.

Since I do not want to go along with entire painting (and nor it holds), I am thinking to cheaply tie it using "JDM Stitch" or also known as "Drifter's Stitch"

Do let me know what you think. Or any other way.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom