“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

Well well now, I believe you would know as much as the best engineer in Tata would know about safari (if not, more)

For me I am not much into DIY basically because not enough educated so this is kind of learning guide for me ...I was particularly impressed by your repair of the switch. Hope the metal rod that you fused to the switch with glue remains strong.

Adding DRL just like that is injustice to your capabilities. Instead I would suggest some thing built into theheadlight.

Attaching pic for reference.

Here the amazon link provided below, you can get the flexible DRL tube which can double up as turn indicator as well. however, its milky white which looks tacky and after market. had it been transparent that would have been ideal. Or you may go for DRL wire strips in transclucent pic casing, that you get for home lighting, you will get warm white 4300K white which I believe you prefer over the 6000k white. Those DRL will match with your headlights as well.

https://www.amazon.in/Kozdiko-Headl...niversal/dp/B07CWTMC4M?tag=googinhydr18418-21

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #47

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: “The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

b7- Rat seals, NVH improvement and Dust proofing-

As when I brought the beast Home, I noticed it has high NVH compared to my other beasts. Perhaps the perception was exaggerated as I was comparing it to the smooth and powerful Mhawk 2.2 from the XUV 5OO. Both the Engines are developed in Conjunction with AVL, Austria. They have the same displacements and make the same power. But thats where the difference ends. The engine in XUV is Light years ahed than the one in Safari.

I had to do something to bring the NVH to tolerable levels and increase Cabin comfort. So I divided the process in few parts-

1. Rat Seal- Finding out Rat entry points and replacing rubber seals or plugging holes
2. Dust- Preventing dust entry by sealing gaps in Rubber beadings, Doors, AC system and so on
3. Noise- Damping, Sealing and coating surfaces, Doors, Hood and underbody to Suppress noise (Pending)
4. Rattling- Using foam to Reduce rattling.

The Ideal sealant I used for this was a combination of Silicon sealant and Neoprene. Now the Neoprene is different from the usual “Sponge” that many know. Neoprene is more 'plasticky' And hence does not collect water, Dust or smell. It is also a good insulator for Heat, noise and Dust. So here we go-

b7 part A, Wiper cowl-
Wiper cowl is the area under wiper motors. This is the usual hotpspot for Rat and Dust entry. Also, the Recirculation button in my Beast was kind of dummy as it did not seem to have any effect. I could smell Smoke and Dust when driving through not-so-nice areas. So Sealed it for good

Sealed AC air intake permanently-

Sealed mesh at cowl Plastic cover. This will also stop dirt and leaves from being accumulated in the cowl.

b7 part B, Jack storage area-

This area had rubber seals that were either chewed by rat or missing entirely. Every night the rat would enter this area and make a huge mess here. Permanently sealed with Foam-

Also gave a blast of Paint as the area was looking rusty and stained.

b7 part C, Doors-
Now I started to pay attention to the doors. As Safari Doors are extremely heavy, they sometimes droop or fall out of alignment, Causing Rattling (This is known issue). Also, The laces had become old.

Now I started fixing this problem in the most Ghetto-est way possible. Adding foam where I think would help. Like so-

b7 part D, Missing rubber plugs-
A representative image of How rubber Plug should look like-

Missing Rubber Plugs sealed in various locations- (Dont' have image of missing plugs)

The Neoprene foam was glued with Neutral cure silicon (with tapes to temporary hold them in alignment.)

Doing this addressed a few problems.
1.The Huge panel gaps disappeared and hence sealed possible entry points for Dust and wind noise.
2. Torn rubber seals/boots are now history
3. Doors have more support, so they close more firmly and have stopped rattling (mostly)
4. Door beadings have a helping had to prevent dust and rain entry.

Thread Starter #48

bhvm

Honoured Member

This is simply AMAZING,1st of a kind for sure.
A brilliant idea to convert a spare CCTV cam into a reversing camera.[clap]
Loved reading your DIY jobs Sir
Thanks! [:)]
Well well now, I believe you would know as much as the best engineer in Tata would know about safari (if not, more)

For me I am not much into DIY basically because not enough educated so this is kind of learning guide for me ...I was particularly impressed by your repair of the switch. Hope the metal rod that you fused to the switch with glue remains strong.

Adding DRL just like that is injustice to your capabilities. Instead I would suggest some thing built into theheadlight.

Attaching pic for reference.

Here the amazon link provided below, you can get the flexible DRL tube which can double up as turn indicator as well. however, its milky white which looks tacky and after market. had it been transparent that would have been ideal. Or you may go for DRL wire strips in transclucent pic casing, that you get for home lighting, you will get warm white 4300K white which I believe you prefer over the 6000k white. Those DRL will match with your headlights as well.

https://www.amazon.in/Kozdiko-Headl...niversal/dp/B07CWTMC4M?tag=googinhydr18418-21
1. Thanks! Glad you liked

2. The switches are holding up very well since past 6 months. I do use them very gently though.

3. The DRL design you made is just Stunning! Like Prev. Gen Land rover!
I am sure to use that design whenever I do so.
However currently,I have no plans to open the headlights. When I may open them I will also go for a proper projector retrofit and other mods. Maybe a dual projector setup.

The recent plans for DRL are to add LED Aux lamps and use them as DRL as the need be. (They also look very unique and beautiful)

Attachments

BHVM this is bravado - borderline crazy - and i am trying to be polite! :biggrin:

Just went through the thread, I wouldn't have dared picked this one(you are way more brave than me!) especially the state of the interiors, hope you didnt pay over 2.5L! How much moolah spent so far ? The previous owner definitely wasn't a car enthusiast.
Great if you can post a cost table. Also how much is it run ? Timing belt change was the best thing done so far given how the owner kept it!

Heck this is super bravado and you have absolutely opened up a jhugaad ki dukaan. These experiments will be never ending and the best part would the journey more than the outcome! Enjoy it!

Wish you many many safe miles in the blue elephant and no more limp modes!

Yesterday night went thro' the thread and Man ... you are one PASIONATE 4x4 lover [thumbswink] ... AND, you get involved in the internals of your vehicle. Wow [clap]

During my rides in Rajastan sands, many times the Driver of the Bolero/Scorpio 4x2 would slightly deflate Tyres and get out of the problem. So, I thought that a 4x2 was more than adequate for driving on tarmac with little soft-roading, whereas a 4x4 is for charting NEW PATHS. Am I correct ?

And, yes; the respect Scorpio/Safari COMMAND from other road users is IMMENSE. For the same road users, a Sedan is a Joke; me feeling jealous. But, NO, I am NOT thinking of changing my Car now. Hello World, any thing that appears immediate next is just in your imagination...
Ex-Showroom Price at B'lore for Safari Storme Vx Refreshed (400 NM) 4x2 is Rs. 14,33,563

Best gift a car can get is , its owner being caring, and you are one of the best ones Mr.BHVM.

With my limited experience of Restoring an Old 1999 Zen in 2017 , I will suggest you some bits-

Zen, being a 1999 model ,(Last batch of carburettor engine , after that MPFI)- Features that were top that days was it had A/c , Front Disc Brake. We refurbished the A/c setup , and also the vehicle was already repainted (Better he hadn't as it was shoddy paint job)- More to the story , if you want will discuss as private message , or if anyone else needs to hear do ping me.

1.Exterior- Don't spoil the Butch SUV look of the car (If at all you wish to paint the exteriors , I prefer you to go with same colour , so as to minimise expense).If you wish to change colour , only one colour , I prefer , Black.
2.Interior- From 100% damaged interiors , you have restored it to 85% best one. Suggestion , you can change the seat covers /leather(I prefer you to try Innova's leather colour). There's dash paint , you can paint it up , preferably with black to give a contrasting feel to the interior.
3.A/c - Do a complete A/c overhaulling (Stage4 A/c checkup)- Poor A/c , can affect your health .
4.Engine- I think engine wise you have did your best. Just check with EGR mechanism (If equipped , am not sure), and also injectors . Turbo misfire , can occur due to many reasons , pdate once you do the former 2. If turbo issue is there , check with the pipes, can have leaks .
5.Suspension - I think you have done it
6.Tyres- Pretty much fine i think , check with rims for bends etc (Inner side), as rims durabiity can affect other parameters.
7. Underbody - Apply a new coat of Underbody Anti Corrossion.
8. Please ensure joints are devoid of rust .

Wow,what a thread bhvm bro.Congrats for buying Safari 4X4 and Safari is my favourite since my childhood but dad hates Tata and hence bought Innova over Safari.But,blue wrap to me doesn't look good.You could have wrapped it to Matte Black or Charcoal grey as it looks good on Safari.

Thread Starter #53

bhvm

Honoured Member

BHVM this is bravado - borderline crazy - and i am trying to be polite!

Just went through the thread, I wouldn't have dared picked this one(you are way more brave than me!) especially the state of the interiors, hope you didnt pay over 2.5L! How much moolah spent so far ? The previous owner definitely wasn't a car enthusiast.
Great if you can post a cost table. Also how much is it run ? Timing belt change was the best thing done so far given how the owner kept it!

Heck this is super bravado and you have absolutely opened up a jhugaad ki dukaan. These experiments will be never ending and the best part would the journey more than the outcome! Enjoy it!

Wish you many many safe miles in the blue elephant and no more limp modes!
Thanks IR!
1. When I picked it up, I was sure I will be getting surprised reactions from Many people(like you). And Esp my Parents. My dad still says why you buy such a car. And yes, calling the interiors "tattered" was just being polite. They are (Were) far worse than any car I have owned or sat in.
However with all that Fixed up, The Beast starts growing on you. On my recent 1,000KM Trip my Parents couldn't help but praise the comfort. "Issme to gaddhey lagte hi nahi hai" Said my mom.

I had to change the perception to buy this. From a Royal, Gleaming Pearl elephant to something little more coarse which could take the brunt of my DIY and Mods. But now that its standing in my parking, the Highly Royal effect of the safari is mostly back on track!

2. The moolah spent on repairs and mods is trying to compete with the purchase price of the beast. Although there is some margin left. Price discussions will happen at the very end. My very first Bill at TASC was 45k. And later bills sums to 15 to 20k. DIY mods & Materials are also on a different list. I do have a chart ready.

3. Car was run 74k Kms when brought. Current ODO is 81k. I am assuimg ODO to be over 1L km (When cracking the deal) as there is no service history.

4. As you said, journey is more fun. I have already enjoyed a year modding and working my beast. Now few more DIYs have popped up in my mind which have been added to Opening post.

5. No limp modes!

Yesterday night went thro' the thread and Man ... you are one PASIONATE 4x4 lover ... AND, you get involved in the internals of your vehicle. Wow [clap]

During my rides in Rajastan sands, many times the Driver of the Bolero/Scorpio 4x2 would slightly deflate Tyres and get out of the problem. So, I thought that a 4x2 was more than adequate for driving on tarmac with little soft-roading, whereas a 4x4 is for charting NEW PATHS. Am I correct ?

And, yes; the respect Scorpio/Safari COMMAND from other road users is IMMENSE. For the same road users, a Sedan is a Joke; me feeling jealous. But, NO, I am NOT thinking of changing my Car now. Hello World, any thing that appears immediate next is just in your imagination...
Ex-Showroom Price at B'lore for Safari Storme Vx Refreshed (400 NM) 4x2 is Rs. 14,33,563
Thanks Vijay!
1. Lowering the Air pressure gives a longer footprint to the tyre, allowing better grip. But yes, a 4x4 is on totally different level. Also, for making new roads, a 4x4 is far less damaging to the terrain. On a 4x2, your each driven wheel handles 50% Torque. Which sometimes tears up the surface. This is specially true if a 4x2 has to be revved up, with frantically spinning wheels or High momentum required to pass the terrain.

But in a 4x4, each wheel handles only 25% of the torque, which means its very gentle on the New and untouched terrain/trail/jungle/snow you are trying to explore. Of course then there is the killer 4L Mode.[glasses]

2. Lately, There has been a slight influx of Old/new Safari's on the forum. Lets keep the ball rolling, Shall we?[evil]

3. Yes, crazy Taxes and inflation has pushed Storme VX4x4 prices to roughly 20L. A little hard to digest.

Best gift a car can get is , its owner being caring, and you are one of the best ones Mr.BHVM.

With my limited experience of Restoring an Old 1999 Zen in 2017 , I will suggest you some bits-

Zen, being a 1999 model ,(Last batch of carburettor engine , after that MPFI)- Features that were top that days was it had A/c , Front Disc Brake. We refurbished the A/c setup , and also the vehicle was already repainted (Better he hadn't as it was shoddy paint job)- More to the story , if you want will discuss as private message , or if anyone else needs to hear do ping me.

1.Exterior- Don't spoil the Butch SUV look of the car (If at all you wish to paint the exteriors , I prefer you to go with same colour , so as to minimise expense).If you wish to change colour , only one colour , I prefer , Black.
2.Interior- From 100% damaged interiors , you have restored it to 85% best one. Suggestion , you can change the seat covers /leather(I prefer you to try Innova's leather colour). There's dash paint , you can paint it up , preferably with black to give a contrasting feel to the interior.
3.A/c - Do a complete A/c overhaulling (Stage4 A/c checkup)- Poor A/c , can affect your health .
4.Engine- I think engine wise you have did your best. Just check with EGR mechanism (If equipped , am not sure), and also injectors . Turbo misfire , can occur due to many reasons , pdate once you do the former 2. If turbo issue is there , check with the pipes, can have leaks .
5.Suspension - I think you have done it
6.Tyres- Pretty much fine i think , check with rims for bends etc (Inner side), as rims durabiity can affect other parameters.
7. Underbody - Apply a new coat of Underbody Anti Corrossion.
8. Please ensure joints are devoid of rust .
Hello Vishnu!
Do share more about your zen and the paint story.

2. Seat covers planned. Not available. Will get them stitched after Diwali.
Dash Finish is not too bad. After cleaning its actually looking quite good.

3. AC cleaned and serviced. AC is a chiller now.

4. Engine is quite healthy. I checked the EGR. Sooty but fine. Also ran OBD scan. Cannot see anything serious. Turbo is not having any problems. I checked the Turbo impeller and shaft. Almost new looking with no play or oil.

5. Entire suspension replaced/Rebuilt.

6. Tyres are Okayish. I do not like bridgestone HT. There are also some punctures. But they are holding up for now. Rims have been completely restored.

7. Underbody and Anti-rust paint done (A lot of it).

Wow,what a thread bhvm bro.Congrats for buying Safari 4X4 and Safari is my favourite since my childhood but dad hates Tata and hence bought Innova over Safari.But,blue wrap to me doesn't look good.You could have wrapped it to Matte Black or Charcoal grey as it looks good on Safari.
Thanks for Joining in M.S!
I do respect all opinions and I was aware many won't like blue scheme. (BTW its paint, not wrap)

But You know what? I don't give a damm! It was my heart's call and I went ahed with it. Now I think it just looks gorgeous!

Charcoal grey (Metallic) or graphite (As my wheels are) was my second best choice. Perhaps it could come a few years down the line. I do love to experiment and give facelifts to the beast.

Me along with 3 of my close car buddies here , were planning to take in a car for our rough use (In the sense , going to places within city , to carry out various needs as well as 2 of them had construction business , so they needed one ride to transport them to workplace )- Workplace being full of dust and marshy mostly , so better a old ride , quite can tackle abuse without hurting our own cars.
We searched for many cars mostly within 50k budget , we got hold of this Zen clocked 88k on odo. It was from a used car dealer in outskirts. We talked to him , and we made the deal for 30k (We negotiated from 40k , mentioning the Poor maintenance of interior, suspension also needs replacement).
One of our friend was interested to learn driving , so that also will be catered by this .
So he shelled out half the money , we the rest.Ownership on his name.Hence am not posting as a thread.

One thing I love is , the steering (Manual steering , its best for any enthusiasts).
Braking was way excellent (Front discs do the job superbly).
Cons need addressing soon is - A/c Overhaul ( I doubt the full unit to be konked off), Suspension (From shocks to lower arms to Struts ) needs complete check.

The dealer had taken care of changing fluids as well as tyres , thats all he did , rest all we need to do.

Overall happy quotient- 7/10 (Happy for the ride) , if we waited could have got even better ones .(I dream of modifying an Esteem)

Great thread BHVM.

Liked reading it!!!.

Safari is spl vehicle to all those who own up.
Tass can irritate you when the vehicle is new. You need patience to solve or live with it. lol.

Not all take the chance of buying a used safari. Even i get lot of question why safari if it do not have resale value.

Cheers man for your DIY in the vehicle esp the immobilizer part.
Following this thread closely.

Keep the 4x4 motor ( like a wiper motor) near GB clean. It can act funny sometimes.

Hi Bhvm
Need a help from you. Could you please share as to where you could source those Remote key cases , self Ananth (the safari you posted as "legendary' is mine 2005 TCIC) still running fantastic. Kindly share the contact details if you have as my remote is broken.

Ananth

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #59

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hi Bhvm
Need a help from you. Could you please share as to where you could source those Remote key cases , self Ananth (the safari you posted as "legendary' is mine 2005 TCIC) still running fantastic. Kindly share the contact details if you have as my remote is broken .

Ananth
Hello Ananth_pn,
Nice to connect with you.
Those are not remote cases. But entire new remote. They cost 2.5k from nearest TASC. Ring the TASC in your area and they will arrange it for you.

BTW, do update on the Legendary beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thread @bhvm.

Its all about how your mind thinks. The whole thread shows that you are upto the challenge and can take challenges. you enjoy the DIY and resolving the issues by yourself which most of the people do not want to do. keeping check on minute issues like taking care of rubber parts, back camera etc etc.

Overall this tata was rescued by the right person......thumbs up man

Top Bottom