Honda CBR600F4i

Thread Starter #1
It was time for me to get my NZ license converted, I was hoping that I'll be getting the equivalent which is FULL license for bike/car. My wish came true and I was issued with my license.

That weekend the fun began. I had for sometime been looking at bikes that came in my price range and I had found the one. It was a 1999 Honda CBR600F. An old bike but beautiful. I rang up the dealer to find out the bike got sold a week back. RATS! What to do now, went back online and did another search and found a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i (successor to the F4). What the F4i is, its a CBR600R with a different look, 10 hp less (109hp) and a sports touring ride. I called the dealer and the bike was available, so I got my gear which had been sitting for 5 months and went to check the bike out.

First impressions of the bike is simply outstanding. It looks the part and this bike had a few customized parts, like a carbon fiber exhaust and tinted screen. Had a quick look around and was happy with the overall package. Before I can even ask for a test ride the dealer asks me.

Within a few minute I'm on the bike ready to head off. Now I have ridden a few 600cc bikes but all the bikes I have ridden (including mine) have all had upright riding positions This was the first bike I have ridden with clip ons.
When I get on and put my hand on the bars I don't find the position bad at all, it doesn't feel weird. The bike is super easy to ride and had so much power 109 hp. To tell you the truth from riding a 19hp bike to 109hp it isn't bad but of course I never red lined the engine. I took the bike down small tight streets and on the high ways. The bike performed beautiful and had nothing to pick at. The suspension was hard but it is adjustable, but the roads are smooth so I wouldn't have bothered changing it.
Now this is probably to do with me than the bike, but at slow speeds due to low clip ons it did feel a little funny to do some tight turns/ u turns, but this is something I feel one will get used to. High speed turns are a breeze.

Overall I very much like the bike. I have also found a few other that I'll be checking out like; Yamaha FZ6S (not FZ16), Suzuki Gsr600 and Suzuki gsx650F.

Attachments

Thread Starter #4
Yes the bike in the pictures is the one I tested. Yes it does have an after market screen too. I might buy this one or something else, as I am going to go try other bikes as well.

To ALL: Feel free to ask questions. I have just written a short review as I only rode the bike for 20 minutes so can't tell you the finer detail of this bike.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Precise review. Just like any other sports bike, CBR does have that aggressive and distinguished visual appeal. Good luck for your purchase and do keep us posted. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Man, I'm jealous. Now to get a rider licence is a bloody pain in the ass, not to mention expensive. I only just paid $140 for my Provisionals, and looking at rider licence it is going to cost me over $280 for Learners only. Damn.

AMG

Suspended
If you ask me, I would say buy a Kwacker 636 or a Yamaha R6.

Honda's are reliable, but probably as exciting as watching the hands of of a clock go by(or in other words, Boring)

Thread Starter #8
If you ask me, I would say buy a Kwacker 636 or a Yamaha R6.

Honda's are reliable, but probably as exciting as watching the hands of of a clock go by(or in other words, Boring)
I could do that but once you have experienced blood (eg R6), what is the next bike to move up to? It can only be a 1000cc super sport.
I'm taking by biking experience in gradual steps. This way you have a lot more choice when you want to upgrade again.

@R-A its a pain just to go through the license system in aus. I am lucky that I had my fulls in nz so all I had to do was convert.

AMG

Suspended
AFAIK, CBR 600 and R6 are head to head competitors.
And if you think R6 is too focussed, go buy a used Kwacker 636.

PS: Also consider a new Kwacker W 800. I love that bike.

Thread Starter #11
Ya that is a cbr in the back. I know the Cbr is a super sport but this one is a little different, it doesn't have the low clip on bars and the engine is a little less powerful. So its called a sports tourer (just what I'm looking for)

AMG

Suspended
There were two versions of the Kawasaki.
One was Zx6R (599cc) which was fore hardcore racing.
It was like the current day supersports. Focused.

And a second was Kawasaki ZX6R 636 cc
Which was more or less a sports tourer.

Also consider Triumph Daytona?

Last edited:
I could do that but once you have experienced blood (eg R6), what is the next bike to move up to? It can only be a 1000cc super sport.
I'm taking by biking experience in gradual steps. This way you have a lot more choice when you want to upgrade again.

@R-A its a pain just to go through the license system in aus. I am lucky that I had my fulls in nz so all I had to do was convert.
you indeed are lucky. I just booked my pre-learners course too. Another 60 bucks out of my pocket.

Top Bottom