Mercedes Benz GLC 300 & GLS 350d Drive Review

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

Finally got my hands on the 2 new super smart and handsome SUVs of Mercedes Benz that have been launched in a span of about 2 weeks. The GLS and GLC. The GLS was launched in mid May-2016 and GLC was launched on 02nd June 2016. The GLS is the updated version of the top of the line Mercedes Benz SUV, the GL Class and GLC is the new entrant in the line up which is placed between the GLA and GLE. With the launch of GLS and GLC not only Mercedes Benz in India has got a versatile SUV product portfolio, also, it now boasts of modern SUVs across its SUV line up. Though mainly in Delhi at present the norms are not favoring the 2000 cc+ capacity diesel cars but this did not stop me from driving them around on a awesome and reasonably long test run. I had spoken to my friend who as always was very welcoming and happy to hand me over the keys of both the beasts and also accompany me on the drive. We were 3 pax in the gigantic SUVs today and we drove both of them on the Faridabad-Agra Highway. Driving both these uber cool SUVs back to back was actually a fantastic experience for me today!

First up, I drove the petrol powered GLC 300. The GLC 300 4 Matic was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo. The GLC is indeed an interesting offering by Mercedes Benz for India since it's filling the void created between GLA and GLE SUV respectively. The GLC is priced at Ex-Showroom price of Rs. 50.7 Lacs and it also has a diesel variant; the GLC 220d. At present the GLC "Edition 1" comes as CBU i.e Completely Built Unit. Just to give an idea, the new Petrol GLC is equipped with a 2.0 Lt Petrol engine meshed to 9 G-Tronic Transmission. As of driving, GLC 300 is a comfortable and enjoyable machine to drive.

Next up was the GLS SUV, the S Class of SUVs as Mercedes Benz says![:)]. Frankly, this GLS SUV is indeed living up to the luxurious characteristics of the S-Class. The plush cabin with good all round in-cabin visibility and a superb driving position all sum up to a brilliant drive experience. The GLS SUV has been launched in India at an Ex-Showroom price of Rs. 80.38 Lacs. Equipped with a 3 Lt V6 Diesel Mill, how this Giant performed will be told in following posts.

20160604_133423.jpg

20160604_130815.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Mercedes Benz GLC 300 & GLS 350d Drive Review.

Mercedes Benz GLC 300 4 Matic Petrol Drive Review.

Front Looks​

20160604_130810.jpg

Mercedes Benz in India has launched the GLC SUV to take on the likes of Audi Q5 and BMW's X3 SUVs. In my opinion, Mercedes translates to luxury with slight compromise on performance where as BMW has performance combined with luxury and Audi has performance but slightly compromised on luxury front. Upfront, if you look at the GLC, the SUV follows similar design language like all other recently launched Mercedes Benz cars. At the launch, it was said, with the launch of the GLC, Mercedes Benz in India boasts of the widest and most versatile line up in luxury SUV segment. Mercedes Benz in India is known for it's luxurious offerings and the respect commanded by the 3 pointed star on the hood. Of all it's competitors, Mercedes Benz does enjoy an edge in terms of decades old brand image. Based on the C-Class platform, this new SUV of Mercedes Benz highlights a Bold looking front profile, thanks to the big bold Grill and the 3 pointed star which would instantly make you recognize it in the crowd. The front chrome skid plates add to the SUV character of this new kid on the block.

Side and Rear Profile

20160604_130832.jpg

Talking of the side profile, to project the GLC as an SUV, there is Black cladding provided to the neatly designed wheel arcs and the shoulder lines and neat persona of the GLC give it an attractive look and make it look as an eye-catching SUV. The side foot steps in GLC will convince you to accept that yes this GLC is not here to only garner admirers but to serve your purpose of easily getting-in and experiencing the thrill it has for you and once done, you'll be happy to come out with ease and a big smile. Coming to the rear profile, it is the rear profile of the GLC that took the browny points from me because I personally found the rear design of GLC to be well complementing to it's SUV looks. The new design tail lamps would faintly remind you of the GLE Coupe's tail lights and they are extending to the boot as well which enhance the profile a lot. The dual chrome exhaust neatly tucked in the big chrome skid plate stand as a testament to the fact, that GLC has been offered as an SUV and not a cross-over. However, the one thing which I did notice was the too-much of slant in the rear-most pillar which if had slightly more height then GLC could have looked even more macho.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The Interiors of Mercedes Benz GLC 300 4 Matic.

20160604_130851.jpg

20160604_132020.jpg

20160604_130101.jpg

The interiors of the new GLC SUV essentially boasts of the same design as the C-Class Sedan has. The GLC though a new entrant to the line-up, yet, Mercedes Benz has not taken any half-measures in terms of making it's cabin feel and look plush. The wooden center console with the beige interiors ably complemented the look of the cabin. Since I have seen the GLC couple of times since the launch, I would suggest, if you may need to see the pics or videos of the same please follow this link. Coming back to the interiors, there isn't anything as such to complain about the GLC's cabin. The upholstery feels premium and the plastics used are of good quality as well. Afterall, its a Benz, and Benz means pure luxury. Moving on, the GLC is mainly a 5 seater. With it's stretched wheelbase of 2873mm, the GLC offers good seating comfort both in the front and back. The seats are reasonably huge and well bolstered. For a tall person like me, attaining a comfortable driving position was not a big deal and to be true, the front visibility of the GLC is very good and you'll not be hassled to maneuver it in traffic as the hood too is visible to guide you. The seats are power adjusted so it becomes even more easy to find the best suited seating position for the driver as well as passenger. Talking of the rear seats, first up, the seats lack a under-thigh support. Though there is ample amount of legroom and headroom yet, lack of under-thigh support for me was a put-off since I am a 6ft+ tall person with slightly heavy built. But, if I may say, even with the shortage of under-thigh support, still, 3 Pax can easily sit in the rear and with the rear AC console being placed appropriately, it does not interfere with the legroom for the passengers as well.

The Boot Space of GLC 300

20160603_121658.jpg

As can be seen from above pic, another shortcoming of GLC, which I mentioned even earlier was the lack of boot space. I will add the same over here as well. In Indian context is the compromised boot space. The space saver wheel occupies major part of boot space which shall make the luggage space almost unusable. Even if the spare wheel is kept in the conventional position then too luggage cannot be properly kept since the spare wheel protrudes from beneath i.e from the in-boot wheel well and the flap above cant be properly laid down. If someone in India is spending approx 50-55 Lacs then no matter what he would ask for proper boot space for sure. The boot of GLC 300 has a volume of 550 Lts which can be extended to 1600 Lts upon folding the rear row. Still, if you are traveling with friends and family, the lack of boot space will leave you asking for more surely. You might as well have to choose between spare wheel or your luggage.[lol]. The boot however, does come equipped with boot lamp, 12 V charger and luggage hooks for a convenient experience for the passengers.

The Speedo Console​

20160604_130056.jpg

The speedo console of the GLC 300 is simple and clean with dual barrel dials. There is a MID in the center that displays the speed, outside temperature, clock and other useful driving info. About the dials, they aren't flashy too and look designed to purpose.

What I liked in the Interiors of GLC 300

* Plush Cabin

* The awesome sun-roof (though in summers better to keep it closed)

* Good seating position.

* Neatly finished upholstery

* Good Attention paid to Ergonomic detailing.

* The Air-conditioning is big plus for me.

What needs improvement!

* The under-thigh support for the rear seat passengers.

* The infotainment system could have been bigger. At present the same 7inch system is there.

* Boot space needs a lot of attention and re-work.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Engine & Transmission, Steering Feedback, Braking, Ride and Tyre(s) Of Mercedes Benz GLC-300 4 Matic

20160602_173313.jpg

20160603_121821.jpg

20160603_121440.jpg

20160603_122333.jpg

The GLC which I am writing about is the petrol powered GLC 300 having a 2.0 L 4 cylinder engine. The engine is capable of producing 245 hp and 370 Nm of Torque. Though a small clarification, please do not assume that GLC 300 would translate into a 3 Lt Petrol mill. This petrol engine is meshed to a 9 speed AT box. The GLC's petrol engine is a decent performer according to me since the power build up is linear and neither it is too boring nor its too aggressive, in short, a convenient and comfortable driving car. What I noticed while driving that in the initial low rpm range i.e 1500-2500 the engine is performing on a average note but once it passed 3000 rpm mark, it was a bliss to drive it till 4000 mark and 4000 rpm was the max GLC touched as I drove. To be frank for the highway drive experience and high speed manners I crossed 100 km/h mark and it did not disappoint me. Absolutely controlled and no untoward noises in the cabin. Totally a silent cabin. My friend told me to test it in the sports mode, as the GLC 300 has 5 drive modes to offer i.e Comfort, Eco, Sport, Sport+ and Individual and by default, the drive mode is comfort mode and one can select desired mode to drive using Dynamic select drive selector. Upon engaging the sports mode, while driving the GLC, the sudden burst of balanced agility surprised me pleasantly. The steering feedback was very balanced and even at 100+ km/h the steering gave a very confident and precise response. This is my first time of testing a SUV at 3 digit speed but actually it also was a necessity as a large number of people on highways do touch this speed. However, in normal conditions, I do not recommend 3 digit speeds. Talking of the transmission performance, as mentioned the GLC 300 is equipped with the 9 speed G-Tronic Transmission. Mercedes Benz has used this new transmission to make the GLC more efficient to drive and more performance oriented. While driving, the gear shifts according to my observations in the default mode at large were very smooth without any jerk or untoward power loss. However, once you switch to sport mode, as I did, the transmission wasn't as smooth and the gear changes were felt by me. Due to more number of gears i.e 9, the change-over from 1 to 2nd and further, the ranges I felt was quite short but overall it was a smooth working unit at least in comfort mode. Coming to the ride and suspension, the GLC is balanced on turns and not really a bumpy customer on bad patches rather it is acceptable. The raised height and ground clearance ensure best possible ride in comfort mode. The cornering abilities are worthy of a mention too over here. Being an SUV, it did not bother me to turn it in the Mathura road traffic which is notorious for insane driving. Also, talking of the high speed braking, as I said, I tested it at 100+ km/h so even braking was very responsive and no nervous feel which actually is a confidence inspiring thing in my view. Since I haven't driven the diesel GLC so can't comment on the manners of it but GLC 300 is a SUV which may not be as peppy as other competitors but certainly not an outright disappoint as well. If you intend for a relaxed drive on highways and a comfortable city drive, GLC would be worth considering. Let me also write something that would interest the off-road lovers; I had a 50+ Lac SUV in my hand, and as inexperienced as I am in terms of off-roading, I did not even bother about it. Still, for the interest, the GLC is equipped with 3 additional off-roading modes i.e Off-road, Incline and slippery. Also the ABS, ESP are terrain friendly with a controlled downhill descent system called DSR (Downhill Speed Regulation). Lastly, GLC 300 is equipped with 235/60 R18 5 spoke alloys. While driving it, I felt the Tyre(s) of my TD Car had a nice grip on the road and proper insulation along with the Tyre(s) ensured least amount of road noise translating into the cabin. So, all in all, in my view, the GLC 300 Petrol 4 Matic is a machine that is capable, balanced and has reasonable amount of performance. Do not expect a ravishing performance from it just drive it in a relaxed way to enjoy it and feel the luxury on board!

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
20160604_130710.jpg

Salient Features of Mercedes Benz GLC-300 4 Matic

* Fuel Type: Petrol

* Engine: 4 Cylinder, 2.0 Ltr with 9G Tronic Transmission

* ABS and Airbags.

* Automatic Panoramic Sliding Sunroof

* Steering mounted controls

* Cruise Control.

* 7 inch Infotainment screen with Garmin Map-Pilot Navigation and CD Changer.

* Rear Seat Split folding.

* 3 Zone Automatic Climate Control with separate temperature setting for rear unit.

* Intelligent Lighting System with Coming Home feature.

* L/W/H/WB (mm): 4656 / 1890 / 1639 / 2873

* Fuel Tank: 65 Ltr

* Kerb Weight: 1871 Kgs

* Front and Rear Disc Brakes

* Push Button and Keyless GO

* Ambient Lighting.

* Park Assist and Reversing Camera.

* Front Seats equipped with memory function.

* Easy Pack Tailgate, can be opened and closed at a button's touch.

* 3 Upholstery Options i.e Beige, Espresso Brown and Black

What I liked in GLC 300 4 Matic

Silent Cabin.

Nicely Performing Engine.

Nice In-cabin Ergonomics.

Well Finished Upholstery

External design is neat

Alloy Design looks very nice.

Air Flow from the ACC is awesome.

What needs improvement

Under-thigh Support.

Boot Space is lacking.

20160604_130825.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Mercedes Benz GLS 350D Drive Review.

Front Looks.​

20160604_133423.jpg

Mercedes Benz in India has launched the Facelifted avatar of their top-of-the-line SUV, the GL Class now called as GLS. When we attended the official launch of the GLS in Delhi, we were told, that the new GLS is the "S Class" of SUVs. Well this got me more excited to check it out. So, upon my seeing the new SUV recently in daylight, I could make out that it also follows the new design language of Mercedes Benz to a great extent like all its other products. The new GLS looks much more bold and aggressive than it's outgoing sibling, the GL Class. The new designed full LED headlamps and the big bold twin-slat grill still retain the muscular character of the SUV and give a refreshing look to it. Moving on, the front profile of GLS also boasts of a new re-designed front bumper. Apart from these changes, the front profile still looks well balanced and no unwanted curves and edges. The precision with which the front profile of Mercedes Benz's GLS has been designed, it sure looks quite elegant and the finesse is worth a mention.

The Side and Rear Profile.

20160604_133448.jpg

Frankly speaking, the side profile of the GLS is pretty much the same as the outgoing GL Class SUV and the changes done to the rear profile include New LED Tail lights and a tweaked rear bumper. Mercedes Benz has made sure that the people who loved this SUV's earlier looks should definitely relate to the newer and more stylish looks of GLS as well so they have not really changed the side and rear profile in the GLS too. All in all, the new GLS, is certainly much HOTTER in terms of looks and still does manages to have a great road presence.

Thread Starter #7

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Interiors of Mercedes Benz GLS 350d

20160604_134607.jpg

20160604_134615.jpg

20160604_134755.jpg

20160604_132603.jpg

20160604_132702.jpg

20160604_132720.jpg

20160604_132729.jpg

20160604_133505.jpg

20160604_132617.jpg

20160604_133508.jpg

Friends as we had attended the official launch of the Mercedes Benz GLS SUV, I got to see the interiors of it in great detail and after that upon my visit to Mumbai, I checked out the interiors again in broad daylight. The launch car had Brown interiors where as the one that I saw in Mumbai had 2 tone (Beige) Interiors. To begin with, GLS SUV certainly deserves 5 stars rating for its plush looking, well laid out and ergonomically designed cabin. The moment you sit on the driver's seat, the comfort of the GLS makes you cuddle in luxury. The visibility of traffic from inside is also very good with negligible blind spot upon turning. The visibility of the hood from inside shall surely help those who don't actually have experience of driving such big and large SUVs. Also to attain a commanding drive position, you'll not have to work on much as the seats are electrically adjustable and for a tall guy like me, this was indeed a big plus point. Apart from that the front seats have memory function too so if more than 1 person and upto 3 person use the same seat then they may store the desired setting of seat accordingly. Coming back to the cabin The leather finished dash-console gives it a premium feel and the cabin does exudes a posh character. The stitching, bolstering and cushioning of the seats is done with utmost precision and the seats do feel soft. There is very good amount of legroom, headroom and knee room for well built and tall passengers like me. The ingress and egress though to the 3rd row is slightly tricky though and needs effort and care. Unlike many other similar type of High End SUVs which are coming with an ornamental 3rd row in terms of seating comfort the new GLS on the other hand has ample space in the 3 row as well with the 3rd row seats folding electrically. The adult passengers in the 3rd row wont be disappointed about the seating comfort. Since we were 3 Pax in this giant SUV, so rotating wise, I also got to sit in the 2nd row as passenger and believe me, it was nothing less than a king-like feel. Since my friend drove too so I have to say this, you'll enjoy the uber-luxurious cabin of GLS even more if you are driven around. Moving on, the GLS is termed as "S Class" of SUVs and rightly so, it is a successful amalgamation of Bold Styling, Rich Interiors and Good Performance. The cabin further boasts of good number of driver and passenger friendly devices like multifunction 3 spoke steering wheel with paddle shifter, push button start, a nicely designed dual barrel Instrument Cluster with MID et al. Since it was hot summer afternoon and as can be seen that the temperature was 40+ Degrees so did not dare to open the panoramic sunroof[lol]. Talking of the ICE and AVN setup, the GLS comes equipped with 20.3cm (Diagonal Size) Glass Screen. The touchpad enables easy operation of the Infotainment Screen. The infotainment screen can be synced with the smartphone through Apple Carplay. Apart from this there is Garmin Map Pilot for routes and locations and finally to park this giant SUV, there is a parking assist device and a 360 Degree camera. Now if I talk of more features then, there is 3 Zone Auto Climate Control with vents till 3rd row so no one can ever feel sweaty inside. Since I drove it in middle of a hot afternoon, I must admit that, while seated inside, the AC even in 40+ degrees did a commendable job with the air flow being absolutely great. Then comes storage space, there are good number of cup holders and stowage places well within the reach inside the cabin of GLS and another interesting feature is the front cup-holders can be adjusted to keep beverage cool or hot as required. There is a button for that by pressing of which, Blue color light shows cool and Red one shows hot. Also there is feature of ambient lights but in daytime (read sunlight), couldn't see them properly. All in all, with the features like Dynamic Drive Select for selecting your own driving mode as per terrain and the other regular features which are present in each of the cars of Mercedes Benz, you'll very easily relate to the GLS for sure.

Thread Starter #8

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Disclaimer: I am using a couple of pics from official coverage too. In the hot weather it wasn't easy to click many pics.[:)] Hope you all understand!

Engine, Suspension, Braking, Ride & Handling, Steering Feedback of Mercedes Benz GLS 350D

20160518_174446.jpg

20160518_122219.jpg

20160518_125454.jpg

20160518_134656.jpg

20160518_131916.jpg

20160604_134812.jpg

The new GLS SUV of Mercedes Benz has been powered with a 3.0 L V6 Diesel mill. The technical specs of the same have also been attached above. On my driving that day, the GLS though looks quite a heavy SUV but in terms of performance it was a acceptably quick. However, what I felt was, the acceleration wasn't upto the mark. The V6 is a powerful mill for sure but still the acceleration though smooth did not excite me much. The engine is meshed with a 9 Speed G-tronic transmission and its performance I found to be up to the mark. The quick shifts of the transmission were smooth and seamless as I felt and for this genuinely Mercedes Benz should be thanked. Driving a big fat SUV with couple of tonnes of weight definitely needs a peppy engine and a complementing, smooth transmission to take it through. On the engine front, the GLS could still have been slightly better but the transmission is a capable performer. I for testing it's capability took it to 110 km/h and while coming back took it to 120 km/h speed and was pleasantly surprised that the engine though slightly sluggish yet did not become loud on a high speeds. The speed build up was fine enough and no untoward tantrums in terms of high speed manners were shown by GLS. This SUV remained extremely stable at 3 digit speed and with its sheer balance and weight, the high speeds were not even felt much. Neither was I nervous nor was my friend but yes my chauffeur who sat in the 2nd row was wiping his sweat from forehead[lol]. Also, for the first time, I used paddle shifts too and using them felt easy and smooth to me in this SUV. The up-shift and down-shift according to me were acceptable and driving while using them was definitely a fun experience for me. About the favorite part, the NVH of engine, the in-cabin experience with the V6 diesel monster under the hood was really nice. Not a single audible noise penetrated to the cabin and it was a silent drive and it certainly instills the fact that Mercedes Benz means luxury and comfort. The engine is well insulated and so is the cabin and end-result is a big built tall driver coming out twirling his handlebar mustache with a big 32 teeth happy grin on the face. About the ride and handling I am to speak, then unlike GLC, I did not drive the GLS in sports mode. In the comfort mode, I was happy to drive it since it was peacefully driving and gave me a sense of ease as well. The suspension and ride quality in comfort mode was very nice and it also took rough patches sportingly and the jerk did not transfer to the cabin to a great extent. As of the braking, with me belted, and keeping an eye on the right ORVM and IRVM at a empty stretch, I applied brakes and the SUV had come down from about 100 to 70 km/h in real time without any nerve wracking experience. The grip of the Tyre(s) was superb and they kept the car well balanced even at high speed braking and even otherwise too during the drive. The GLS comes equipped with 275/50/R20 spec Tyre(s) and the same spec was there in my TD Car too but the spare wheel is to be used only at max speed of 50 m/h for emergency. Now, moving towards off-roading, when the word SUV comes to mind, the next thought is can it do off-roading too? While I always also think of same but never think of trying that whether I have 8 lac rupees car or a 80 Lac rupees high end SUV. I am scared! Yes indeed the moment the word off-road comes, I am all nervous. Yet I may be just one of the few and I know most of the drivers look for knowing and doing the off-road stuff. The GLS comes with Airmatic suspension and an adaptive damping system too as I am told by my friend. In the off-road mode, the SUV can be raised upto 60mm and what further adds to the driving comfort is the 4 Matic all wheel drive system with safety features like ABS and ESP. About the steering feedback if I talk, then I am very pleased with the confidence inspiring job done by the steering. With the increase of speed, driving a 2+ tonnes SUV the steering felt well gripped and as I touched the 3 figure mark it became more responsive which shows that this GLS SUV is not just big in size but definitely big in terms of providing a confident driving experience as well. The steering never left me wondering and there was not a single moment in which I felt that what if I have to take sharp turn in emergency! At on instance I did went for a sharp over-taking from right side and was somewhere around 70-80 km/h (being highway) and I was really happy with the steering pro-active response and stable attitude. The cornering abilities of this SUV are acceptable in my view and since GLS measures as 5130mm long and 2141mm in width so the giant SUV accordingly takes its sweet time to turn. Also for the record,the wheelbase of GLS stands at 3075mm. So, summing my drive experience of GLS 350D, I can say that for a person like me who once in a blue moon would do a 3 digit figure on road, this GLS SUV was a comfortable, extremely sober and a ably groomed performer on highways and city too. Also, I loved the stares we got while clicking it on the road. Of-course the stares were for the giant SUV!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9

Akash1886

Honoured Member
20160604_133419.jpg

Some Salient Features of Mercedes Benz GLS 350d

* It competes against Audi's Q7 and the likes.

* Top Speed: 222 km/h

* Fuel Type: Diesel

* Fuel Tank Capacity: 100 Ltr of which 12 Ltr is for Reserve.

* Boot Capacity: 680 Ltr and can be extended to 2300 Ltr

* Kerb Weight: 2455 Kg.

* 6 Color Options to choose from. Black is my personal favorite!

* 3 Options for Upholstery. Black, Brown, Beige.

* 10 Spoke Alloy Wheel

* Attention Assist

* Adaptive High Beam Assist with Intelligent Lighting.

* 2nd row has fixed glass roof and only 1st row has sliding panoramic sunroof.

* Eco Start Stop Feature and Cruise Control.

What I liked in GLS 350d SUV

* Beautiful External Design.

* Alloys looked great.

* Spacious and well laid out cabin.

* Good All Round Visibility

* Very silent cabin with almost nil external noise filtration.

* Very smooth 9 Speed Transmission.

* Auto AC is superb.

* Very comfortable seats.

* The front and rear chrome skid plates add more of tough character to SUV.

What could be better!

V6 Engine could have been slightly more aggressive.

The side and rear profile needs to be more contemporary like that of competitors.

Interior layout though very spacious and well finished but Mercedes Benz should plan a new design language now.

Egress and Ingress of 3rd row is slightly tricky and needs effort.

20160604_133442.jpg

All the details of the above drive reviews are only for The Automotive India. Any sharing needs full credit to T.A.I

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom