Range Rover Evoque MY-16 Drive Review

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Range Rover Evoque MY-16 Drive Review

20151126_133847.jpg

Untitled.png

Buddies,

Today I drove the recently launched Range Rover Evoque Facelift MY-16 Model. The facelift version was launched in India at Ex-Showroom price of Rs. 47.10 Lacs(Mumbai). MY-16 model Evoque comes in 4 variants i.e Pure, SE, HSE and HSE dynamic with the All-Wheel Drive system as standard and JLR is offering a 3 year/1 lakh km warranty period and a 3 year service plan. This model is essentially a cosmetic face-lift with changes done to the front, interiors, rare profile but without any change to the mechanical attributes of the SUV. The Facelift Evoque comes equipped with the same 2.2 Ltr, 4 Cylinder Diesel engine that makes 140 Kw Power at 3,500 rpm and 420 Nm of torque @ 1750 rpm and is mated to a 9-speed automatic transmission. I would be keeping this review concise and sticking to what I felt within a drive of 30 minutes in bustling streets of Delhi.

Looks: On the front side, Evoque MY16 receives a new bumper that gives it a more muscular appearance and now in this new model the design enhances the significantly big air intakes of the bumper. The immaculately refreshed exterior design along with the inclusion of the full LED and Projector adaptive headlamps make the MY-16 Evoque look more visually pleasing to the eyes than the earlier one in my view. The new designed LED fog lamps in this version have been shifted from the middle to the top of the bumper air intakes that enhances the looks and at the same time gives it a more linear front profile. If you may closely observe, there has been superb precision being followed on the entire external look of the Evoque and it is evident from the fact that the air-dam above the number plate is well integrated and complements the new design efficiently. The new grille design has been provided to this MY 16 Evoque. The bold 2 slate horizontal grill adds up to the glamorous look of this SUV. The new grill enhances the overall appeal and is nicely groomed with no rough and unfinished edges and comes nicely integrated in the new Evoque’s front profile. The honeycomb meshes delivers style quotient and looks much in place. The TD car in White looked pretty decent and proportionately designed. The rear profile also boasts of changes like re-designed tail lights and a host of other features like new design alloys, automatic gesture based tail gate, better interiors et al. When you sit inside this SUV not even for a moment you’ll feel bored. The sheer size of the SUV doesn’t translate to it being a very heavy and lazy vehicle. The body panels have been neatly fixed with minimal gaps which ultimately enhance its looks as a finished product. Just like the recently launched GLE Class by Mercedes as a successor of erstwhile ML Class, the MY-16 Evoque too is a successor with certain changes to its earlier avatar. The bold line and crease of the side profile of the Evoque is simply awesome further adding to the oodles of beauty it has and accentuating its overall road presence. In my view, it adheres to the saying “Beauty lies in simplicity” and looks graceful.

20151126_133923.jpg

20151126_133906.jpg

20151126_133912.jpg

20151126_134922.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Engine and Transmission: The engine as mentioned is the 2.2 Lt Diesel engine comes mated to a 9 speed gear box. When I started it, it was soundless and literally I pressed the accelerator to see it has really started. The NVH is superbly modulated and in-cabin noise and wind noise is modulated very effectively and small measures like under-hood carpeting make the NVH far more controlled. The engine appeared to be so well refined that for a moment I actually forgot that it is a diesel engine. Talking about the pick-up, the engine is responsive and not really lethargic. It is an efficient performer within the city and a soft off-road vehicle at max. Having driven the GLE recently, I can say that even this MY-16 Evoque is no less in terms of driving manners rather its better than GLE 250D in many aspects. If I talk of turning for example, the ease of turning this Evoque was far better than the GLE. Power and Torque delivery is quite good and linear. The acceleration is good and no hick ups. Moving on to the 9-Speed AT Box, Frankly, in which part of India in a City drive can anyone actually enjoy this 9 Speed Box? I would say people do not travel on highways everyday where this 9 speed AT can be effectively used. At max a 6-7 Speed AT is sufficient enough for City driving and even on highways it won’t disappoint. Anyways, performance wise, the gear shifts are fast and slightly short as well. The transmission seems to eager to perform to its max. The gear changes are smooth and well meshed. The AT Box is effective and precise during up-shifts and even the downshifts are smooth and easy. But one thing, the drive mode knob is not as effective and smooth as compared to Discovery Sport. I had driven the Discovery sport as well so in comparison, I did not find Evoque’s drive mode changer that smooth.

Suspension, Steering and Braking: The suspension is well designed and enhances the ride. Over the speed bumps mainly and minor potholes, the suspension performed ably and I did not feel any jerks at all. Coming to the steering part, the steering is responsive and one can easily handle the SUV in traffic due to the refined performance of the steering. The steering can be manually adjusted and does not feel strenuous. Though many would test it at 100+ speed, but I don’t so if I may speak of high speed stability of the steering then within the range of 60-90 km/h the steering feels well composed. The steering is certainly confidence inspiring. The steering of my TD car came equipped with steering mounted controls of which I did not use any. Moving on to another important aspect i.e Braking, The Braking is linear and the response of Disc brakes is prompt. There is no jerk in times of sudden braking as well and I can say that because I have actually tried it today at a traffic signal. The car stops without any swaying or jerks.

Ride and Handling: The MY-16 Evoque can surely be a good City driving car in my opinion and the ride according to me was plush and refined all thanks to the 235 Section tyres as there were no abrupt noises or jerks. On turnings, this car handles much better to its competitors and that for me was a big plus point as the body roll is well taken care of too. I vouch for its stability and manners at legal city driving speed limits.

20151126_134832.jpg

20151126_134836.jpg

20151126_134415.jpg

20151126_133928.jpg

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Closer look on finer points of the MY16 Range Rover Evoque.

The Well Designed Center console with Infotainment Screen, Auto AC et al.

20151126_134421.jpg

Panoramic Sunroof

20151126_134727.jpg

Black Finish Electric Folding ORVM

20151126_134844.jpg

Full Black Finish Roof

20151126_134937.jpg

New Design Projector and LED Headlamps and fog lamps

20151126_133900.jpg

New Design Tail Lamps

20151126_134822.jpg

Well Stitched Upholstery

20151126_134755.jpg

Sideways Ground Clearance.

20151126_134953.jpg

Exhaust neatly tucked under rear skid plate.

20151126_135002.jpg

Boot space can be increased with rear seat folding.

20151126_134739.jpg

Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Seating and Interiors of MY16 Range Rover Evoque.​

20151126_134723.jpg

My in-cabin experience with the MY16 Evoque has been pretty decent. The cabin beige upholstery felt roomy and all-round visibility from within was good. Every switch and button was neatly integrated and ergonomically placed for the driver’s as well as passenger’s comfort. The slanting rear roof line didn’t hamper the rear visibility a lot. The instrument cluster is simple with the MID showing all needful info including the name of the FM Channel. Talking about the seating comfort, the seats both in front and the back were very comfortable. The cushioning was very much to my liking and the shoulder room, headroom and knee room was not a problem at all. The only thing I felt was since it was a new product, JLR could very well make it a effective 7 seater or atleast Jump seats like its Indian brother Safari could have been provided. Also, the under thigh support was a tad low to my liking. Coming to the driver’s seat, it was decently designed and provided a good driving position to me. Revised interior door casings in both the front and rear of this SUV speak volumes about the plush new seats designed for utmost luxurious feel and making the cabin look much cleaner, and aesthetic wise more contemporary. The rear armrests are redesigned for a better feel and elegant look with added cup holders for the comfort of the rear seat passengers. Coming to an important aspect of seating and i.e egress and ingress; So, on this front I would say, unlike the Fortuner, it was much easier for me to get in and get out of the car. One does not require acrobatic skills to get in or out of this SUV. Even for older/aged people I am sure this will not be an issue. Moving on to the quality of plastics, Though JLR is owned by TATA but to be honest, the interiors of TATA’s SUV are nowhere near to the finishing of the Evoque. The plastic and fabric used in the cabin are of premium quality and are well finished. All in all, the cabin makes the overall experience worthwhile. If I may further add, during any journey whether in city or highway, the passenger spends most of his or her time inside the cabin so a cabin layout should be such in which the occupants feel comfortable and pleased. Therefore, if one is paying 50 Lacs then surely this SUV does appear to be value for money. Next feature that enhances the in-cabin experience is the acoustic setup and lighting in it. Evoque MY16 is equipped with owner-selected ambient interior lights theme that come with a range of 10 colors which can be controlled through the touch-screen as I had been informed by the executive and to set your mood in to the groove, Evoque comes with 825 Watts Meridian surround sound system with 17 speakers and rear seat entertainment which won’t leave you complaining during long drives as well.

20151126_134204.jpg

20151126_134657.jpg

20151126_134646.jpg

20151126_134711.jpg

What I Liked

* Good Pricing

* Looks much better

* Nice Cabin Layout

* Good Paint Finishing.

* Engine is a refined mill

* Rear AC Flow is good.

* Rear Camera View is very good.

* All Round Visibility.

* Good NVH Levels.

* It is a reliable product so far with good number of takers.

* Smooth Transmission

What needs Improvement

* Dealership staff. Absolutely incompetent and ill-informed

* Horn is bit feeble

* Not a 7 Seater.

* After sales need a lot of improvement.

* A refined Petrol engine can be a thoughtful move.

* Alloy design is mediocre

Couple of Closing shots

20151126_133853.jpg

20151126_134816.jpg

20151126_134931.jpg

All Pics of today drive review are only for The Automotive India. Any re-use needs full credit to TAI.​

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Nice one akash. good read indeed, Evoque is one of my favourite SUV's. Keep up the good work buddy. i simply love the stance of this vehicle so aggressive.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Detailed and well penned review as always Akash!
Is the engine 140 BHP or 140 KW?
In that case, Its actually weaker than new Safari Varicor 400 engine with 160 BHP!

Thread Starter #8

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Detailed and well penned review as always Akash!
Is the engine 140 BHP or 140 KW?
In that case, Its actually weaker than new Safari Varicor 400 engine with 160 BHP!
Buddy Evoque has 188 Bhp engine and in Kw it is 140 so it is not weaker than Safari[:)]

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom