VW Jetta Diesel (AT) 2015: Test Driven

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

Here is the 1st test drive report of the recently launched new VW Jetta 2015 for T.A.I. The model driven by me is the Jetta TDi with DSG. The car was sent to my home by the dealer here in Noida and the executives Mr. Pankaj and Mr. Ajay ably helped in coordinating of the test drive. This car actually was out of town for a couple of days so I had to delay the Test Drive report by a few days. Finally, today morning the VW executive confirmed the availability of the car and bought it home.

The new VW Jetta in 2015 was launched on 17th Feb 2015 in Mumbai and in Delhi was launched on 18th of Feb 2015 respectively in 2 variants i.e 1.4 L Petrol and 2.0 L Diesel. For more details about launch and pricing please refer to this link.

IMG_20150225_123130.jpg

Technical Details of New VW Jetta

Untitledv.png

Being one from the VAG i.e VW and Audi Group, the new Jetta does offer a sense of style, comfort and great design and yet keeping the things simple. As it is often said, beauty lies in simplicity, new VW Jetta is a true example of that.

IMG_20150225_123228.jpg

IMG_20150225_123155.jpg

IMG_20150225_123218.jpg

Things I appreciate in the new VW Jetta 2015

* Considering it to be a diesel engine, the NVH levels are really very good and modulated.

* Headroom is good for tall people. All thanks to the driver side seat height adjustment.

* Pick Up is really good. Ride quality is smooth and well balanced. The car can easily be driven without much effort on 90-100 km.

* Braking is also really nice at speeds of 90-100 km/h. No jerk while braking on high speeds.

* The engine is really responsive. No complaints in terms of responsiveness. Not at all sluggish.

* Very Good Interiors. The seating was really comfortable with ample legroom and thigh support.

* The DRL's in front headlamps give it a striking look.

* The trademark horn. Audible and very good in sound as well.

* Build Quality. I feel its one of the USP of VAG. Even now, Skoda, VW, Audi all of them I have found to be very well built.

* The front Infotainment panel is really simple to use and good quality of display.

* Cornering and Turning of the car is excellent.

* 6 Speed DSG is really easy to operate and fantastic at response.

* The Cruise Control integrated in the steering wheel itself for easy access.

* Highly Secure and Safe car with excellent safety features for all passengers.

* Paint Quality and shine on the road looks brilliant. Standing inside showrooms, all cars look beautiful but the real thing comes out when they are driven on roads.

* The design of the Alloy wheels look really beautiful and well finished.

IMG_20150225_123045.jpg

IMG_20150225_123052.jpg

IMG_20150225_123135.jpg

IMG_20150225_123346.jpg

IMG_20150225_123424.jpg

IMG_20150225_123036.jpg

IMG_20150225_123030.jpg

Things to be Improved by VW

* Adding a sun-roof, today even an entry level sedan like Honda City gives one.

* The after-sales support needs to be improvised upon for sure. If anyone buys the car then having a good after-sales support is really important.

* Missing chrome tip on exhausts.

* The rubber on acceleration and brake paddle could be better. The positioning also needs a slight improvement.

* The petrol spec engine i.e Tsi 1.4 can be upgraded to at-least a 1.5 L spec. In Vento and Rapid we have 1.5 Spec so why cant Jetta also have it!

* Absence of Electric Parking Brake.

IMG_20150225_123110.jpg

Finally, It is always a pleasure to drive a refined Diesel sedan with an AT box at disposal. The car is definitely better than the previous generations but it is yet to be seen how shall it fare against competitors like the Chevrolet Cruze and Toyota Altis Corolla.

Closing pics of the New Jetta

IMG_20150225_123239.jpg

IMG_20150225_123355.jpg

IMG_20150225_123255.jpg

IMG_20150225_123209.jpg

IMG_20150225_123329.jpg

As I conclude, I hope the above test drive review is helpful to you all. The pics are exclusively for the The Automotive India only. Re-use shall require due credit to T.A.I.

Regards

Akash

Re: VW Jetta Diesel(AT) 2015: Test Driven.

Nice review Akash!

Jetta has come up with a new feature - Fatigue Detection system. Curious to get more details on this. Did you get any first hand info from VW guys regarding this?

Thanks for sharing. Could you also point out the changes compared to the 2014 Jetta? And I heard that VW has changed the horn in Polo and now it sounds a bit different(bad) compared to the old one. Did you find any difference on the Jetta's horn.

I thought VAG was Volkswagen AG(Public limited company). And Vento/Rapid's 1.5l engine is a diesel one.

Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Jetta has come up with a new feature - Fatigue Detection system. Curious to get more details on this. Did you get any first hand info from VW guys regarding this?
Ya. actually there is an indication in MID which indicates via symbol of a tea-cup and that is called the Fatigue Detection. It analysis the pattern of driving specially during night and long drives when there is most possibility of the driver getting tired. It's an able feature that is there to prevent uncalled situations on road and suggests the driver to take breaks and refresh.

Could you also point out the changes compared to the 2014 Jetta? And I heard that VW has changed the horn in Polo and now it sounds a bit different(bad) compared to the old one. Did you find any difference on the Jetta's horn. And Vento/Rapid's 1.5l engine is a diesel one.
As of the changes, externally, the new Jetta has got facial tweaks with redesigned bumpers, headlamps and tail lamps. The interiors are also looking aesthetically pleasing and give a bright and roomy feel. Jetta's Horn on the other hand is pretty audible unlike the sharp sound of the Polo's horn. It sounds like proper sedan's horn. For Engine, What I meant was, if Vento and Rapid do have a 1.5 Diesel Spec engine then why can't Jetta be tried upon with a 1.5 L engine in petrol spec. At least, those people who are not so well informed would compare it to 1.4 L Ciaz which is almost 3-to-5 lac less expensive than VW Jetta at present and with a 1.5 L engine at least those people wont compare it to an entry level car. Just a thought.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Ya. actually there is an indication in MID which indicates via symbol of a tea-cup and that is called the Fatigue Detection. It analysis the pattern of driving specially during night and long drives when there is most possibility of the driver getting tired. It's an able feature that is there to prevent uncalled situations on road and suggests the driver to take breaks and refresh.

As of the changes, externally, the new Jetta has got facial tweaks with redesigned bumpers, headlamps and tail lamps. The interiors are also looking aesthetically pleasing and give a bright and roomy feel. Jetta's Horn on the other hand is pretty audible unlike the sharp sound of the Polo's horn. It sounds like proper sedan's horn. For Engine, What I meant was, if Vento and Rapid do have a 1.5 Diesel Spec engine then why can't Jetta be tried upon with a 1.5 L engine in petrol spec. At least, those people who are not so well informed would compare it to 1.4 L Ciaz which is almost 3-to-5 lac less expensive than VW Jetta at present and with a 1.5 L engine at least those people wont compare it to an entry level car. Just a thought.

Regards

Akash
I think numbers won't be sufficient for Vw to invest in changing displacement. Also, with the next gen MQB Jetta expected in an a year, VW would be not interested in extensive changes for the current gen model.

Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I think numbers won't be sufficient for Vw to invest in changing displacement. Also, with the next gen MQB Jetta expected in an a year, VW would be not interested in extensive changes for the current gen model.
Buddy, you have hit the point really well. Infact, at the launch webcast on similar lines it was hinted that major changes will be there in MQB Jetta that's next in plans of VW. No wonder, VW is majorly eyeing the corporate sector, whose primary aim is safety and comfort. They are not really that concerned on power, torque etc. However, in my humble opinion, VW could have taken up this new Jetta as an experiment with 1.5 L petrol engine because in the Indian market specifically, there are buyers who are looking for good performance as well so they definitely could have tried. On the other hand, I am sure you'll agree, that a common man, who gains limited knowledge about a car from the Dealer's Showroom executive, will definitely comment "Why should I pay a premium of 5 Lacs and still get a 1.4 L engine when I can well get the same capacity engine for a price of 10 Lacs from Maruti?" and on the other hand, Hyundai's new Verna also comes in 1.4 L engine with options of Petrol and Diesel and a host of segment 1st feature at a much lesser price. Hence, I feel, If the petrol engine of new Jetta would have been 1.5 L then it could have attracted many more buyers. Anyways, now the new Jetta being an year away, nothing can be done so we are left to choose between an under-powered 1.4 Tsi petrol Jetta or 2.0 L Diesel only. I wish in MQB they do give a thought over the increase of displacement in petrol versions.

Regards

Akash

I absolutely love this car since the day we bought it. It feels class apart, apart from ASS issues this doesn't have any negatives. It's sibling Octavia is also good but is more expensive and is slightly lighter in build compared to this one.
Ours has done 43k and no issues till now. It would be very hard to find a replacement for it considering its near perfect qualities.
Cricket Insect is known as "Malnad Chitti", we call our Jetta as "German Jetti" :-)

Last edited:
My review of Jetta DSG 2014

Finally found the review of Jetta.I recently had a spin in my friend's 2014 Jetta HL DSG and left impressed.Body roll is quite excellent due to Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres.The owner of Jetta is car freak and drives like a maniac. Leg space is quite OK but way better than BMW 5 series.The thing which I liked in Jetta till now is ICE.ICE is quite excellent and sounds like aftermarket ICE.His friend,who also owns Jetta Comfortline upgraded his OE HU to Pioneer touchscreen HU and sounds better than his RCD510.Bluetooth of RCD510 works flawlessly and he always connects his iPhone 6+ to his ICE.

BTW,his car colour is White and has done just 12000 Km in 1.2 years.His previous car before Jetta was Corolla 2006 one.He has i10 AT 2011 too at home.But,he said Hyundai cars are too worst as his car gives less than 10 Kmpl in city.So,I suggested him to sell i10 and buy GT TSI.But,he didn't like the space of GT.So,he is waiting for new Honda Jazz.As per him,his Jetta is giving 13-14 Kmpl in city and 18 Kmpl on highways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom