Here is the first exclusive test drive review of the newly launched Mercedes Benz C Class Diesel i.e CDi 220 for T.A.I. The C Class Diesel has been launched in India on 11th of February 2015 in 2 variants i.e C220 CDi and the C-220 CDi Avan. Last year in November 2014, the petrol variant of the new C Class (C-200) was launched. Now, the pricing for the Indian market has been kept really competitive by Mercedes Benz for the new Diesel Variants.
Here are the prices of the 2 newly launched variants of the C-220 Diesel Mercedes Benz C-Class:
• C-Class Diesel CDI 220 comes at Rs. 39.9 Lakhs (Ex Delhi)
• C Class Diesel CDI 220 Avan comes at 42.9 Lakhs (Ex-Delhi)
The Technical Specs of the new C Class Petrol (C-200) and the C Class Diesel (C-220) are also attached below for your benefit. As claimed by executive of Mercedes Benz, 0-100 km/h can be achieved by this C-220 Diesel in 7.4 secs which I feel is respectable.
Today after-noon I visited the Mercedes Benz Dealer, Silver Arrows, in Noida for a different query altogether but what made my after-noon much more enjoyable and rather exciting was the presence of the new C Class Diesel Variant of Mercedes Benz. There were 2 cars of C-220 spec parked at the dealer of which one was a Test-Drive car which was in White and the other one was the Metallic Brown Color C-220 that was the media car.
I made it a point to drive this diesel beast there and then itself. Completed the formalities of the Test Drive and for next 1 hours this beast was at my disposal. When I first sat in the car, the feeling of pure class, sheer comfort and unparalleled charisma flashed in my mind. Finally took out the car for the Test Drive along with their Customer Relation Personnel and it really turned out to be bliss of a drive. If I say that the new C-Class Diesel is awesome then it would be sheer understatement. It is a Superlative and when I say superlative, I mean it in all respects. What I liked in Mercedes Benz C Class Diesel C-220.
• Extremely responsive Diesel Engine. Just at slight press of the accelerator the car is ready to roll.
• Pick up is really good and super smooth.
• No Torque lag in this Diesel engine.
• Eco Start and Stop feature that saves fuel at signals by switching off the engine.
• Brilliant NVH Levels. The engine is so well tuned that you can’t even hear slightest of its noise in the cabin and that makes the driving experience really nice.
• Gear shift is very easy. The MID gives full and proper info of the gear shifts.
• Cabin is really well designed and feels roomy and panoramic sunroof adds to the elegance.
• Fantastic Cornering.
• Cruise Control and Paddle Shifters and Superb Brakes.
• Brilliant Air Conditioning.
• One of the best automatics available with 7 speed Transmission in the Price of INR 40-50 Lacs.
If I compare this new C Class with the earlier C Class, then with the updated interiors and exteriors the designs looks more attractive and contemporary. It gives a feel of being in the lap of uber luxury and pure richness. Here are some of the new features of the C-220 Diesel which I came to know about during the Test Drive:
• Electronic adjustable steering wheel
• A two-pin plug is provided at the rear for charging phones and i-pads.
• The C-220 CDI gets a new dashboard design with a new touch-screen with Mercedes’s Command infotainment system that features a new touch pad and regular scroll curser as well. The infotainment panel as was told to me by the executive is 8.4 inch in size and very interactive.
Honestly If I have to speak of the short-comings then there are none. This car is a perfect blend of class and luxury if I may say. Though design reminds of the S Class but still it has a good recall value among it’s takers simply because of its feature-rich profile and proportionate pricing. When one pays a price of 40+ lacs for a car like C-Class, then let me say this, he will never be disappointed and with my experience of today, I definitely feel that its no surprise that C-Class is one of the hottest selling car around of Mercedes Benz.
The C-220 Diesel remains as safe as the petrol cousin with standard features like 7 airbags, ABS
, ESP with curve dynamic assist, traction control, park assist among other important features.
As I conclude this report, I definitely feel that with such a refined Diesel Engine, the C-220 has become a hot-cake. One of the most eligible contender in its segment is the C-220 CDI.
For referring to the new Mercedes Benz C-Class Petrol, Please feel free to click this Link. All pictures are exclusively for The Automotive India and republishing them requires due credit to T.A.I.
I hope this Test Drive review of the new Mercedes Benz C Class Diesel is helpful to all members and guests at T.A.I.