Here is the 1st exclusive test drive report of the newly launched Mercedes Benz CLA Class. Got my hands on this German Angel just an hour back and mind you its extremely comfortable to drive. What's better than starting the weekend by driving a Merc!
This beauty arrived at my home and when I sat in it the first thing I noticed was the sports car like feel in a sedan. Cranked the engine and a sweet yet deep sound felt like melody to the ears.
Took it for a spin of about 3 kms and found it really effortless to drive. Having driven the A3 recently, I have some how started liking these automatic beasts.
All the apprehensions of driving high end automatics fizzed out and it felt so very friendly to handle. Drove it in narrow lanes with speed bumps and wide roads too. This car did not disappoint at all.
The effortless turning and superb cornering was sheer magic. The Tyre(s) grip well and one feels confident while driving it.
The New CLA Class has been launched at a price of INR 31.50 Lac to 35.90 Lac. In all there are 3 Variants of the CLA that have been put on sale in India i.e CLA 200, 200 Cdi, CLA 45 AMG respectively.
Technical Specs of the Mercedes CLA 200
* 4 Cylinder 2.0 L Petrol Engine
* Power Output 135Kw and Torque 300Nm at 1200-4000RPM
* Top Speed is 235 Km/h
* 0-100 in 7.8 seconds
* 7G-DCT Transmission for CLA 200 and 200 CDi
* H/W/L(mm): 1432/1777/4630
* Boot Space: 470 Lts
* Wheelbase: 2699 mm
The new CLA Class has got 3 options of Rim Sizes mentioned below:
* The CLA 200 Petrol has 225/45 R17 Tyre(s)
* The CLA 200 CDi has 2 options here: 225/45 R17 and 205/55 R16
* The CLA 45 AMG has 235/40 R 18 Tyre(s) specs. What I liked about the New Mercedes Benz CLA 200
* Sporty Design
* Front Seats give feel of a racing car.
* Brilliant Air Conditioning
* Accent Lights in rear seats.
* Smooth and Easy Gear shifts.
* NVH levels modulated.
* Multi Info Display.
* Superb Acoustic Setup.
* Paddle Shifters available.
* ORVMs are really well placed with ample viewing space. What needs Improvement
* Rear Headroom is really less for tall people like me. Being 6Ft its a pain.
* Being a low-seating car, ingress and egress is an issue.
* No rear AC for passengers in CLA 200 in initial model whereas A3 comes equipped with it.
* Engine is not as peppy and fast as the A3. The initial pick up is not as good as the Audi A3.
* Hood lever is placed a bit low.
* Unlike A3, the electronic parking brake is located below the steering.
* The location of these small but significant features shall take time to get acquainted with.
My Opinion: Though the brand's image shall definitely help the CLA Class to sell but with competitors like Audi A3, it won't be a cake walk for sure.
So friends, I hope this Test Drive review is helpful to all of you.