Got my hands on the newly launched Datsun Go+ MPV from Datsun today morning. So here is my short and sweet Test Drive Review of the same. The model I drove was the Top End model in Petrol i.e T Variant. The top Variant costs INR 4.61 Lacs (Ex Showroom).
For details of the Datsun Go+ MPV please refer to this thread.
There are 4 variants of the Datsun Go+ i.e D, D1, A and T. Since the car was not registered hence it could not be taken on a long route. What I Appreciate
* Practical Seating.
* AC works well.
* Paint Quality is good.
* Ground clearance is also good.
* The Power Steering in top variant gives slight ease of driving.
* The MID System
* Follow me home feature in head lamps. What should be improved
* The Engine Noise. The noise is pretty harsh on acceleration.
* The Engine sounds like one is driving a Maruti Omni.
* Gear Shifting is really hard.
* Clutch also needs to be re-worked.
* No safety features except seat-belts.
* Horn is Feeble.
* Jerks in 2nd gear pick-up
* Desperately needs a diesel engine to make it sell.
* The hand-brake looks really odd.
* Misses on Glove Compartment lid.
* Cabin noise too needs to be mellowed down.
* Absence of ABS
is evident while braking at high speed i.e 90 to 100 km/h
* Misses on even a basic audio system. Just an option of USB.
I am really doubtful of this car's sales for personal ownership but it shall be a VFM
for those who only look to buy a car with a AC. The A and T version can have some buyers if those buyers are not concerned about engine noise and ABS
etc. During my test drive I checked the FE and it was 8.8 km/L only.
Overall, It is nothing more than a elongated Datsun Go Hatchback and Datsun definitely needs to rework on a lot of parameters of this car. A major issue shall arise when the cars shall be made to comply to safety norms and as we all know how Datsun Go Hatch had fared in the crash test so taking that as a lesson, Datsun definitely has immense scope of improvement in this MPV. Cost cutting measures of Datsun are very much evident in the offering. Datsun has offered a vehicle to India with features that use to be there in cars a decade back.
All I can say is with the price it has been launched it will majorly attract commercial buyers because in personal ownership there are many better equipped cars from other brands in this price.
Hope you all find this review helpful.