Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R Stingray Driven

Thread Starter #1
Folks. When I was invited to test drive Wagon-R Stingray for my online portal by a sales executive who helping me to running my portal/blog, I thought to share my review on TAI also.

Here I am writing the test drive review of New Wagon-R Stingray. I never penned a review in global language, and this is my first try so please do excuse my mistakes.

The story begins

A perfect morning with pleasant weather that what’s the time I choose to drive the new baby from Maruti. She is waiting in front of the parking lot to greet me; there are no other cars around. I parked my alto and rushed to the Stingray but my hope is lost. I expected test drive car in red like in adds but it’s in white. Ignored because I know its difficult to judge a book by its cover.
Discussed about the new features with my contact and he knows everything from the front projector headlamps to the fog lamp on the rear bumper, great and helpful.

Wagon-R Stingray looks awesome in flesh, projector head lamps and reflector grill perfectly blended; huge front bumper with large air dam gives her face a matured stance. Well integrated fog lamps with perfect housing, skirting like lips on the bumper contributing to her aesthetics. Wind shield is large same like the wagon r but there is no roof rails on Stingray. Radio antenna is ordinary one it’s old school. I prefer the one mounted centre on roof like bigger boys,

Side profile looks a bit blank, thanks to the roof rail which is removed in Stingray unlike Wagon-R, but body lines along with beefy wheel arches gives her a mini SUV looks from the side view. Door handle and rear view mirrors painted in body colour and a pillar is blackened. Side indicator is in transparent. Looks from the side is just ok ok for me, I need roof rails on the Stingray as well.

Unlike the Wagon R, Stingray has a rear roof spoiler. Re worked tail lamps looks good, there is chrome lining over the tail lamp, it is inside not slicked on the light though. Other things are same like normal wagon-r there is no more changes. But in the chrome lining on the number plate portion Stingray etched on it.

Doors are opening wide, very easy to get in, bigger seats for a person who driving an Alto daily. Sits 4 comfortably, 5th person is also welcome but a bit congested in my opinion, head room is in higher side and lots of leg room, I found a negative, yes there is no dead pedal for the driver. But no issues to rest left foot on the floor, there is enough space.

Dash board a bit large and now steering get audio controls on it, 3 spoke steering wheel with silver inserts looks contemporary. Tilt adjustable steering is great add-on for whom suffering to get comfortable driving position; gear liver is same piece you can see in the normal wagon R. A leather inserted one like swifts is classier IMO. Integrated head unit looks and perform well, no need to get an aftermarket assembly if you are not an audiophile. The other good feature is glove boxes; yes I said is right glove boxes, it is two in Stingray, one up and one down on the dashboard. No changes in ac controls. Fabric door inserts and parcel tray also integrated in Wagon R Stingray.
There is a MID along with the analogue meters in the console, its shows Odo, trip, average FE and DTE.

Seats are wide and Stingray stitched on the seats. There is enough Leg room at back when the front seat slides to the maximum. Space space and space The USP of wagon r.

Four power windows, ABS, dual air bags, the features list going along with projector head lamps, reflector grill etc. The mirrors are electrical adjustable. Auto fold would be great but in the price point this is enough.
Stingray running on 14’ tyres, looks good under the wheel arches, Alloy wheels are beautiful and eye catchy.

Wagon R Stingray powered by the same 998cc K10B 3 cylinder engine which is in the normal Wagon R. But in Stingray its produces the power of 68bhp @6200 RPM and 90nm of torque at 3500 RPM, and the higher side is the fuel efficiency.

Stingray offers a fabulous mileage of 20.5 KM per litter, certified by ARAI. Along with 35 litters of fuel tank, Stingray will cover lots of kilometers without filling often.

A review cannot complete without a drive, so fired engine and took the car out. There is not much difference in terms of acceleration and pickup. Still the engine is noisy on higher RPM. But handling part changed a lot. There is no more body roll, now it is acceptable. Braking improved with ABS and comfort level also increased. To cut a story short it is a good car.

A perfect family car for a small family, its feature packed, safe and efficient. It’s a car for whom looking a spacious hatch and that not a performer but efficient.

Let’s pictures talk

IMG_0545.JPG
Looks is subjective., I liked it anyways

IMG_0547.JPG
Front projector headlamps, First in this segment

IMG_0550.JPG
Rear spoiler and tail lamps, look at the chrome plated itched Stingray

IMG_0554.JPG
Rear wipe and wash, a must for me

IMG_0555.JPG
K series Engine

IMG_0563.JPG
Glove boxes

IMG_0568.JPG
Integrated stereo and AC controls

IMG_0570.JPG
Steering wheel and MID
Thanks for reading.,

Thread Starter #3
Thanks lucas and yes they integrated USB and Aux into the HU., Sound quality is good also!

Thankyou for sharing your experience buddy.
I wished they could had worked on their small diesel engine and launched with this new waggy.I would have preferred out of the box new design, new looks and lesser boxy design, a little wider maybe with diesel plonked in it to give it a complete new looks.

Hi,
How is the seating arangements. Whether any add ons given for interior space.
I hope technical there is no much difference in this model.

Thread Starter #10
Hi,
How is the seating arangements. Whether any add ons given for interior space.
I hope technical there is no much difference in this model.
Same like the current model but its spacious in the category
This Car would have looked much better had they given her a larger set of wheels :frown:
Yes its true and at least keeping the roof rails would be great and looks cool IMO., but it will fit after though[lol]

Hi Rakesh,

Very nice report on Stingray, though it looks odd to me from the front.

Do you have any idea on the projector set-up, with regard to cost and whether can it be installed on other models too?

I think it can be done since Maruti workshops will be having the spare units.Only concern is the cost and will Maruti people do it on other models?

i think driving exp is same as normal wagon r as enginers similar

what other major difference do you notice between the two ?

is there any difference between seating factors as compared to normal wagon r

Booked Stingray VXI (Opt) Silver. expected delivery is around 20th feb

Did a small test drive and I liked it. I wanted to book swift which is my favourite but its out of my budget. next option was stingray. very easy to drive.

Will post a detailed ownership review once I get it

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom