My Fiat Punto Test Drive Experience

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I was in hunt for a new car for daily office commute.

As ecosport is now with a wait period of over 8 months, I decided to settle with Punto ( I know categories are different, Still call was based on heart's call factor).

Well, had read a lot about its road handelling and driving experience.

So went there with a lot of expectation.

Now this is what I observed:

Pathetic plastic quality. Do have a look at the ORVM control's plastic inside the cabin. Also look at poor quality of plastic of Boot Release and Fuel lead release.

There is a palstic strip on top on bonnet and next to windshield. I asked sales guy why these are looking so cheap and suggested these were polished only in morning and dust has accumulated. Hmmm, sounds like made of poor plastic

Cabin Noise at 2500 RPM What surprised me most was cabin noise levels. Engine noise level were simply beyond tolerance at 3K plus RPM. It was high even at 2500 level as well.

Handelling & Steering: Handelling and sterring was really good and it glided over bad roads with ease.

Steering is a joy to handle.

Gear Box Performance:

I could relate to much talked rubberish feeling while changing gears. No way near perfect. Not fun for sure.. I found i10 gear box and that of Brio to be fun...

One good thing was it never stalled even at low speed in low gears, which is handy for city drive.

Music System :

Somewhere between average and decent category. Bass was missing.

Leg Space: : Decent and you cant expect much if BOOT is huge. They could have made it other way round i.e. increasing the leg space in lieu of boot and gained more customers.

These are my views and based on couple of test drives. No offence to any one....I am still stumped about the NOISE LEVELS of engine inside the cabin :-(. Worse than that of an Indica or may be similar..

Re: Looking To Buy Punto? Read This.

I respect your experience. But are you sure that noise was engine noise, because the tyres that FIAT provides with Punto are very noisy. Saying this does not means that there is no engine noise at all.

Yes plastic quality is not at par with other companies (VW, Skoda, MS, Hyundai, Honda).
Leg space is decent.
Music system again agree average.
Gear box nothing to talk about :-)

Welcome to TAI. :-)

But Punto's Build quality (metal) is far better than it's counterpart.
I liked the suspension of Punto also.
Look wise, it better looking than others.

Hi
Cabin Noise at 2500 RPM What surprised me most was cabin noise levels. Engine noise level were simply beyond tolerance at 3K plus RPM. It was high even at 2500 level as well.
car was standing or running when you checked this?
Leg Space: : Decent and you cant expect much if BOOT is huge. They could have made it other way round i.e. increasing the leg space in lieu of boot and gained more customers.
Ideally they should have provided sliding rear seat.

plastic quality is not at par with other companies (VW, Skoda, MS, Hyundai, Honda).
but cost and feature wise cheaper than swift.

i did a Punto TD last year. I didn't observe engine noise, but yes the tyre noise was huge. I was advised by SA to get the tyre altered from the stock ones, which to me was ridiculous (if FIAT knows the issue, why doesnt it get fixed). Looks wise its a beauty, but then too lazy to be maneuvered in City traffic. Handling and suspension of a FIAT is at par with the best in the world, but then I would have preferred an Abarth (engine response and sportiness) over the one I test drove. I hear that FIAT is planning to launch Abarth Punto next month. Would suggest you to wait and TD that before making a decision.

@gauraviift, Welcome to TAI.

Regarding your post, I would like to say, every car has positives and negatives. Hope you had done a TD before buying this car. And also hope you checked other options before finalizing this.

Gourav,

Welcome to TAI !!

I think you are talking about Punto petrol, I did a TD of diesel Punto in 2011 and also drove the Punto diesel of our member Dharmesh and never felt such noise at all and a petrol one should be more quiet

Thread Starter #8
car was standing or running when you checked this?
Ideally they should have provided sliding rear seat.

but cost and feature wise cheaper than swift.
Car was running. in gear noise in first 4 gears...never got a chance to move to fifth during TD

Gourav,

Welcome to TAI !!

I think you are talking about Punto petrol, I did a TD of diesel Punto in 2011 and also drove the Punto diesel of our member Dharmesh and never felt such noise at all and a petrol one should be more quiet
I was referring to diesel variant. noise was on engine and not of tyres. hmmm

I would have preferred a car now as santo at is no more cost effective. guess have to book ecosport as not happy with Punto though I love this car.

@gauraviift, Welcome to TAI.

Regarding your post, I would like to say, every car has positives and negatives. Hope you had done a TD before buying this car. And also hope you checked other options before finalizing this.
Thanks buddy.

Above was post my TD. I have not booked it yet. deal I am getting is close to 95k as cash discount. still engine noise had [confused]

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to post my viewpoints as an owner of a 2012 punto done 17,800 kms in little less than an year.
As I would like to admit me being a fan of Fiats and Fords on an equal scale, (they make great drivers cars though having unpremium feeling interiors and less refinement), the issues that you have raised are agreed upon, yes, its true.
BUT, please remember that car companies in India are always working in uncertain economic conditions, tossed up between government policies, on ensuring that the car is priced competitively and VFM package is offered. cars sold in India are based on two categories:
-Either you pay a price for exterior and interior aesthetics and premium feel but compromise on engineering and suspension and underbody prowess;
-Or you pay a price for engineering and safety but compromise on aesthetics and interiors.

A car is something which, for many is a one time investment and compromises have to be made in one form to gain something else. Also, please remember that TD cars have often been in bad shape so, problems like these are to be expected. BUT, the points you have mentioned aren't that deal breakers considering
-the price after discounts is sold at
-the safety and driveability it offers plus the equipment it offers
-the india specific GC it has
-the engineering it has
-the warranty and service costs it has
-the accidental repair costs it has
-Also I say, the availability of parts it can now have, which, atleast here n Delhi, has improved a lot.

Considering many factors, comparing with i10 or brio for gearshifts is not justified IMO. These cars are segment down and are purely city commuters, drive both on the highway and poor roads and corners and drive any high segment car (punto/ polo) etc and you will know what I mean.

If you like the GP, buy it, if not, there are 100s of cars available in the price bracket, maybe I can suggest you to have a look at the swift dzire ZDI, if the ecosport wait periods is bothering you a lot. But before that, do take a test drive from another dealer or any known person who has a well maintained post 2012 punto and you wont be disappointed. If you are hell bent on a compact SUV, there are good discounts going on the quanto also.

Request to mods: I think this thread can be moved to "what car" section?

yes the tyre noise was huge. I was advised by SA to get the tyre altered from the stock ones, which to me was ridiculous (if FIAT knows the issue, why doesnt.
because they have to compete with cars which sells more despite B grade tyres.
comparing with i10 or brio for gearshifts is not justified IMO. These cars are segment down and are purely city commuters, drive both on the highway and poor roads and corners and drive any high segment,
+100.
Also, these are petrol cars ,should not be compared with diesel GP.

Ecosport is also a segment ahead.

Thread Starter #11

because they have to compete with cars which sells more despite B grade tyres.
+100.
Also, these are petrol cars ,should not be compared with diesel GP.

Ecosport is also a segment ahead.
Well we can compare gear shifts with Swift for that matter. My cousin is into Automobile Industry and he suggested the same.

Above post was for future buyers to compare and contrast things. Above are just expressions to put across what I felt..Did I say Do not buy GP..:-)

Last edited:

@Gaurav

The statements are little contradictory to each other with your first post and the post number 11.

-Are you trying to buy a car ??
-Are you writing your TD experience in the process of buying a car or you are warning the prospective buyers of Punto ??
-It is just a one TD experience of yours and it cannot be treated as a ownership experience, so it can't have in depth analysis of the car which is only possible from the owners who drive it for few thousand kilometers. So you can name the thread as something like "my TD experience of Punto"

When you open a thread please be sure that what you want to convey with that and how people have to understand that which the title reflects

Thread Starter #13

@Gaurav

The statements are little contradictory to each other with your first post and the post number 11.

-Are you trying to buy a car ??
-Are you writing your TD experience in the process of buying a car or you are warning the prospective buyers of Punto ??
-It is just a one TD experience of yours and it cannot be treated as a ownership experience, so it can't have in depth analysis of the car which is only possible from the owners who drive it for few thousand kilometers. So you can name the thread as something like "my TD experience of Punto"

When you open a thread please be sure that what you want to convey with that and how people have to understand that which the title reflects
Agree buddy.Thanks for your inputs

However, towards the end of the post 1 had added that these are based on 2 TDs. So had no claim@above was an Ownership Experience.

I agree anyways with your views about title being more apt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

I was in hunt for a new car for daily office commute.
As ecosport is now with a wait period of over 8 months, I decided to settle with Punto ( I know categories are different, Still call was based on heart's call factor).
Above post was for future buyers to compare and contrast things. Above are just expressions to put across what I felt..Did I say Do not buy GP..:-)
I am little bit confused,which future buyer you are talking about?[confused][thinking]

And which future buyer has asked here for opinions and inputs?

Pathetic plastic quality. Do have a look at the ORVM control's plastic inside the cabin. Also look at poor quality of plastic of Boot Release and Fuel lead release.

There is a palstic strip on top on bonnet and next to windshield. I asked sales guy why these are looking so cheap and suggested these were polished only in morning and dust has accumulated. Hmmm, sounds like made of poor plastic
Yes, Punto has poor plastic quality.
I had a Punto for a year. I used to work in VW, so I have extensively driven a Polo. My cousin has a Swift and my best friend drives the i20. Trust me, Polo is the noisiest followed by Swift. Punto and i20 are the most refined hatches. Your TD vehicle was a problematic piece I guess.

Handelling & Steering: Handelling and sterring was really good and it glided over bad roads with ease.

Steering is a joy to handle.
+10

Gear Box Performance:

I could relate to much talked rubberish feeling while changing gears. No way near perfect. Not fun for sure.. I found i10 gear box and that of Brio to be fun...
+10.

One good thing was it never stalled even at low speed in low gears, which is handy for city drive.
That is because the Multijet engine has amazing low end torque.

Music System :

Somewhere between average and decent category. Bass was missing.
All stock music systems are crap anyways! Get a subwoofer if you want bass.

Again, Polo and Swift is more cramped in the rear seat. i20 is a bit more spacious.
I am still stumped about the NOISE LEVELS of engine inside the cabin :-(. Worse than that of an Indica or may be similar..
I suggest you take another TD in a better maintained vehicle.

And which future buyer has asked here for opinions and inputs?
He is just voicing out his TD experience without anyone asking for it. What's the harm in that?

Top Bottom