Maintenance of Honda City 1.5 EXI

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first time so please bear with me. Well due a frequent transferable job, my father got himself a 2nd hand Honda City 1.5 EXI 1999 Type I model. He is the type of person who would just like to fill petrol and drive the car. He doesn't know much. I have started to drive and its just been over a year. I am really a noob about cars and so is my dad. The problem with the car is the fact that it stayed put outside the owner's house more than it was on the road. In 10 years it has made a mere 80K. But since it was kept outside for months, it faced rains and storms and heat and what not keeping in mind the climate of Delhi.

The engine is fine since it hasn't run much and as I understand this model is so good that people have been driving over 150K without any problem. Now every once a while we get a problem in the car and my dad asks me to look at it. Recently we had the radiator changed, engine oil changed, air filters changed. Suspension has also been changed. But every now and then we get some problem or the other and we end up paying 2K-5k to the mechanic on every visit. If you people could help me with what exactly should I get changed and replaced and what all should I ask the mechanic to check up. In Delhi, most mechanics are a rip off and when we gave it to Honda Service they ripped us off with a bill of 20K without even changing the spark plugs.

So keeping in mind the mechanics are not going to be much of a help, I request you to please help me. One thing I want to get checked up is the electrical wiring because the lights sometimes come on sometimes don't come at all. All wires are old and taped. Recently the car stopped in the middle of the road and later came to know that the self armature for ignition was gone. I am sick of all these small small things popping up every now and then. I am much more concerned about the stability of the car and the mechanical and electrical part rather than any cosmetic things right now. So if you could help me it would be great.

PS I forgot to mention one thing. The AC is completely gone. When it is turned on the car makes a screeching noise and horn does not sound at all. And I am not sure but mostly I have seen this when the AC runs after sometimes under the hood, there are splashes of black oil on the right side. No idea about the leakage. Mechanic couldn't help.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
But every now and then we get some problem or the other and we end up paying 2K-5k to the mechanic on every visit. If you people could help me with what exactly should I get changed and replaced and what all should I ask the mechanic to check up. In Delhi, most mechanics are a rip off and when we gave it to Honda Service they ripped us off with a bill of 20K without even changing the spark plugs.
Sanket, considering the age of the car, a few hiccups are expected. It’s not possible to list out what all needs to be fixed without checking the car in person. I would suggest getting the car inspected from a reliable local mechanic (It’s always a good idea to crosscheck it with a few others for specific issues). My 10 Year old Maruti 800 has a similar story although the issues do not occur so often. After parting with pathetic after sales service of Maruti Suzuki, I found local mechanic in Palika Bhavan who has always been a savior. From what I could figure out, others are also satisfied with his work. I’m unable to recall his name at the moment but he usually roams around the second gate. I will note his contact number and pass on whenever I visit there next time.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
Thank you 350Z,
I completely understand that there are going to be some hiccups but once I get a complete overhaul we can drive it with a certain ease that its not going to go stop right in the middle of the road. Minor faults can be checked but I believe a complete overhaul is definitely required. Its not that mechanics are not there (by the way I have tried 3 in the Hauz Rani area) but they fail to recognize the whole picture. You tell them the problem and they would fix it. Being a novice I really don't know what all I should get checked. Anyways thank you for the information regarding Palika. I would surely check it out. And the guy's no. will be great. Thanks again.

Thread Starter #4
If this is not too much, can you people at least take me through the basic things that are a must in my situation right now. Hope I am not being rude or violating any rules of the forum. Your help is much appreciated.

Top Bottom