I am starting this thread on behalf of my friend who has booked a Used car from a dealer here in Bangalore. We are not sure if the previous owner has serviced it recently & the dealer himself is insisting upon a full service ASAP
. Here are the details of the car TATA INDICA
(I think it is DLG model)
Fuel Type - Diesel
Turbocharged - Not sure
Model - 2007
37,xxxkms done till date
Accident free The story:
My friend has bought this from a dealer who does not provide any free service/warranty. The dealer only sells cars. My friend is very particular that he doesnot want to visit TASS (he has read a lot of posts on TAI
& similar forums about the quality of TASS service) for two reasons
1. Not at all happy with the reviews he read on the internet
2. The car itself is in very good condition & wont need TASS kind of expensive service (Although I am yet to see the car).
My doubts & queries:
Since I have never owned/serviced a diesel car, I have only driven them (Vento TDI, Fiesta classic, Innova) for a few thousand kilometers, I am posting my doubts here.
Assuming that the car needs a full service as soon as we buy it, Am I right that the below parts needs to be changed? Can someone give a rough idea on prices of each part (this way we have some idea on necessary parts & their prices before I visit any spares shop/garage) Parts I am planning to change are:
Engine Oil, Brake Oil, gear oil, All Belts, Radiator Hoses, Coolant, Wiper blades, front 2 tyres (must), wheel bearings (only if worn out), 100/90wiring kit, disc brake pads. Please suggest on:
1. Engine Oil - Not synthetic as it is too costly (for his usage), Semi synthetic/mineral? Brand, price, 5.5ltrs/ 6ltrs
2. Gear Oil - Brand, quantity
3. Brake Oil - DOT3 or DOT4
- Manual says DOT3 (I had used DOT4 in my M800 itself)
4. Seat Belt driver side (worn out in present car) - cost & brand
6. Battery top up (with distilled water) - is it a 90amps
7. Diesel Filter (is it a must?) - never seen one till date
(you can understand now, why my list is so big)
8. Air filter (Brand Name?)
9.Glow plugs - how to identify if they are alright or need replacement?
10. I believe the new clear lens type headlamp of latest Indica will fit the old car too? Other doubts on diesel cars.
1. Does the Engine Oil, Gear Oil & Coolant differ in petrol & diesel engines?
2. Where is the diesel filter located in a car?
3. Is Indica headlamp glass/plastic type - do you suggest 100/90kit?
4. I read somewhere else that Indica Diesel pump costs 13k! Is that true?
5. Did Indica come with Turbo charged engine in 2007? If yes, did it have intercooler too?
6. Do all Turbocharged cars in today's market come with Intercooler?
7. Are drain bolts for Engine Oil & gear oil easy to access in a Indica (is it similar to M800?)
8. Does TATA too have Authorised dealers to sell Genuine Tata parts? like MGP outlets (ESSAR, POPULAR etc) Is there any outlet in J.C.Road?
9. Do you suggest aftermarket parts or Genuine parts for a Indica Diesel?
10. Any particular outlet where I can get all this stuff at once?
Since he is my friend, I am planning a DIY day with his car
(hope he agrees).
SORRY FOR THE BIG LIST OF QUESTIONS, this is the first time I am entering a Diesel cars engine bay so I am excited already :D. Please do help me out with the prices too. We have roughly figured out the bill to be around Rs.10,000/- max for parts alone. Also let me know if the list is going to unnecessarily cost my dear friend.