The quest for an indigenous, low cost, readily available option for a side mirror for my 118NE started after the original side mirror in my car was broken by the menacing kids in our society. Though the universal side mirror would have solved the problem functionally, I wasn't convinced in fitting them up for the reason that the mirror orientation is little tilted towards the ground whereas they fit well on the door shoulders of Padmini & Amby. My requirement was simple, no new holes in the door for a new mirror. Hence I started looking adapting commonly available mirrors on to the base of the broken 118NE mirror. Here are the trials.
1. Maruti 800 mirror - Somehow with great care I was able to remove the glass from its housing, unbolt the housing from the mirror base. Got an aluminum adaptor base turned in a lathe to mount the M800 mirror on 118NE mirror base. Seemed like I was close to success. So tried to gentle pry out the glass for the opposite side. This time the mirror got cracked. SO I stopped here concluding that the success rate in removing the mirror intact was too low.
2. Tata Nano mirror - There are 2 types. A cheaper variety where the mirror housing is supported on the stem by a ball joint and adjustments are very much like a motorcycle mirror. Other type is quite complex for this adaptation. Bought the first type and separated the mirror from its stem. Seemed like the 118NE mirror base would need some level of cutting and machining and hence dropped this idea too
3. WagonR & Omni mirrors would fit, but at the place where the 118NE mirror fits. A friendly shop keeper returned my money back :)
Still I had kept my eyes open scanning for a side mirror from another vehicle. Spotted Piaggio Ape and Avenger mirrors which were very much close to 118NE side mirrors in their shape. Since it is a chrome plated part a pair of Avenger mirror was too expensive for the budget I had fixed, I eyed on the Piaggio Ape side mirrors.
Went to a tempo parts shop and to add to my confusion, there were 2 types. One with socket for a ball joint in the back side (the ball is a part of mirror stem) and other with a ball and a small stack with a nut (the stalk fits in a square slot in the mirror stem). As they cost only Rs40/- each I took 1 of each type. Decided to go with the second option which came with the ball joint included. Bought 2 mirror stems, chopped them off at the required length. A friendly lathe guy machined 2 cones to adapt the stem to 118 mirror base. Welded the 2 parts and again got them levelled on the lathe. The rubber protectors from the Ape mirror stem came handy in hiding the weld job and the nut behind the ball joint. The result is evident from the attached pictures.
The rubber base for the mirror are from my old broken mirrors. Had 2 extra pieces. So got a mirror for left side as well. Drilled similar 8mm holes on the left doors, placed the mirror base rubber with self-locking arrangement and fitted the mirror for left side as well.