Engine Before Reaching Operating Temperature

Thread Starter #1
"Warming the engine by letting it idle on the driveway is not a smart idea. The engine does't operate at its peak temperature, resulting in incomplete fuel combustion, soot deposits on cylinder walls, oil contamination, and ultimately damaged components.

Instead accelerate slowly when you begin to drive for the first twnty minutes of operation."

I read this in auto club .in .

I had been leaving my car to idle as advised by many. This seems to contradict my opinion. So what you guys think?

Jeno

True. But when we start after the car was parked overnight, its always advisable to idle. This facilitates lubrication. If we start right away, engine parts will be moving faster with less lubrication for short time. The wear will be negligible, and will show up after a long time. An once it shows up after years of use, the damage would be considerable. So, if its first start in morning, or after a long time, always idle for some time. In very large diesel engines, there is a separate pre lube pump, which keeps all moving parts wet in lube oil before the engine starts.
No need to idle everytime engine is started, I mean after few hours of stoppage.

Yes prolonged idling can be bad. And worse in petrol engine. Because petrol engine efficiency is worst at idling speed.
And my friend, posts in forums are for reference only. You cant blindly rely on all of them.
Everyone is free to put up there view/s. And there are some who will confidently put across a wrong view, which people might believe to be correct.

now a Days the new Cars need not be kept idle for long . when you twist the keys to on .
all the lights glow up wait look for the oil Sign it should go away within 2 - 5 secs or keep the atmosphere Silent . you would hear a click that is the sound of oil Pump Finishing its Pumping Mechanism . you may then start the engine . mostly cars have indicators . Like my Swift it has a yellow indicator . i wait for it and then crank the engine.

if your car is too old . wait for approx 15 Secs and then crank the engine .

Another succcessful way to deal with this is . crank the engine Right away but Accelerate very little. it is because , when we start a non lubrified engine the Friction between the mechanical parts start to wear easily ( Prevented by engile Oil ) and as a result in a few years a car can give a hefty Engine Problem mostly after 3 years .

Except from this there is nothing to worry About .

Regards
Jatin Ahuja

Thread Starter #6
You were right on the part that modern diesel doesn't need idling for lubrication. But i have heard from experts that, idling before and after driving a car will improve the Turbo life (applies to all Turbo cars). And most the diesel engines have a turbo.

Jeno.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
True. But when we start after the car was parked overnight, its always advisable to idle. This facilitates lubrication. If we start right away, engine parts will be moving faster with less lubrication for short time. The wear will be negligible, and will show up after a long time. An once it shows up after years of use, the damage would be considerable. So, if its first start in morning, or after a long time, always idle for some time. In very large diesel engines, there is a separate pre lube pump, which keeps all moving parts wet in lube oil before the engine starts.
No need to idle everytime engine is started, I mean after few hours of stoppage.
so what's the idle time for a petrol car ? say for verna , i start it in the morning the rpm is at 1000 , but when the car is standing still after some time the rpm stays constant below 1000 , i think at 600-800.

and i wait for 15 seconds for the rpm to settle on its own and then drive.

ps : there's a wierd sound when the car starts after 8-10 hours , lots of noise. i'll upload a video soon.

now a Days the new Cars need not be kept idle for long . when you twist the keys to on .
all the lights glow up wait look for the oil Sign it should go away within 2 - 5 secs or keep the atmosphere Silent . you would hear a click that is the sound of oil Pump Finishing its Pumping Mechanism . you may then start the engine . mostly cars have indicators . Like my Swift it has a yellow indicator . i wait for it and then crank the engine.

if your car is too old . wait for approx 15 Secs and then crank the engine .

Another succcessful way to deal with this is . crank the engine Right away but Accelerate very little. it is because , when we start a non lubrified engine the Friction between the mechanical parts start to wear easily ( Prevented by engile Oil ) and as a result in a few years a car can give a hefty Engine Problem mostly after 3 years .

Except from this there is nothing to worry About .

Regards
Jatin Ahuja
oh yes this sound is present in all the cars and i do the same. even my dad suggested the same so i always do.

and guys who don't do this everyday will notice the engine won't start with the first try. and soon it'll become a problem.

Last edited:
Idling time has been greatly reduced with advent of recent technology. In any case, idling shouldn't be done for more than half a minute. And fuel being so expensive, idling only adds to reduced mileage.
One very interesting thing I came across net is that apart from engine, there are other things too which need to be warmed up. And only a moving car can warm up all the components.
@hyundaicars: You follow right procedure. 15 seconds is more than enough. Please upload your video. Maybe fellow members can suggest something.

For turbocharged cars, it is essential to idle the car for a minute before driving and stopping.

For naturally aspirated engines, I never idle the car. I start driving and just avoid revving it too much till it reached it's operating temperature.

Top Bottom