Which is the Safest Seat in a Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I would like to raise this debate on which is the safest seat in a car! Earlier on, everybody felt that the rear seat was best in fiat padminis & ambys but then times have changed & now people sitting upfront have airbag protection. But is this true that people upfront are actually safer in frontal crashes(provided rear passengers are wearing seat belts)?

What about hits from the rear & side? Nowadays luxury cars come with side airbags & curtain airbags but that represents a miniscule number as compared to the total car population!

So bottomline is, if given an option would you sit in the front left seat or in the rear if you are being driven by your driver in a highway...

i would prefer to be on Driver seat.
coz, driver knows everything , and he can partially control the jerk / accident . and most probably front seaters are buckled up always (atleast in my car !) i have never seen anyone bound in seatbelt on rear side.

I am not sure which seat I will choose, till I see the car (Hatch/Sedan/SUV). This is a pretty difficult question to answer indeed.

I feel most of the accidents on the highways are a frontal collision, so rear seats should provide more safety than front seats.

However front seats (in almost all cars) have the headrest (front seats are taller)which does save the neck area in case of a severe roll over.

Another point to be considered is -Even if I were in the safest Mercedes car still all its safety goes to the bin if the driver rear ends a Indian Truck on the highway, I dont think the A pillars can take heavy crashes directly at the roof / top portion of the windshield.

There is nothing called safest seat in a car, regardless of any amount of safety feature a car possesses an high speed crash on a highway can be fatal.

Top Bottom