Zen is Stalling Frequently - Help Required (Resolved).

Thread Starter #1
History:
I had done 6th year servicing on 14 April.Many consumables replaced. Also service adviser suggested me to do Engine carbonizing and done that. Don't know what it is.Done oil change also.

After that I was going to watch IPL match on 19 May so left home in the after noon. It was very hot day and certainly AC stopped working rather after some time HOT air started coming form ac vents. so I switch of ac and went at my friends place 25 km away. Then taken rest for 3 hours. Then started journey towards stadium. Again the ac stopped working, even I switched from CNG to petrol, the car was not picking up and was not accelerating properly. We were 4 people on board. There was Hugh traffic jam, After some time the car stalled in between traffic jam. [cry] and refused to start at all. I had opened bonnet for 5 mints and then tried to start, it started but was vibrating a lot, some how I managed to take it to outside the road (whole traffic going towards stadium was jammed because of me [roll] ). The engine was too hot and there was smell of burnt oil. Then I waited for an hour to get the engine cool and went to match. Car cooled for good 3 hours. Then while returning car started properly. But after going about 9 kms it was again shutting dawn at idling (in neutral). Again I stopped the engine was very hot, so waited for 30 mints and then started it again and managed some how to reach home.

On the next day taken the car to office, the ac started working but after going 10 km the car was stalled but then I was in the office parking. So same way I managed to drive car for 5 days , it was stalling after 10 km s but I was able to reach home from office as it is about 10 kms and I didnt got time to show it at service station. For the whole week I had driven car on CNG.

So on 26 may I went to my cng installer to check the problem. The car stalled once while we reach the service station but some how managed to reach at it. The car stalled in front of service station again.

The mechanic at CNG station observed the car. The engine was very very hot (although it was not showing that on meter) only oil indicator was blinked some time. Then checked the oil level and it was ok, but then after opening engine oil cap on engine, he told me that it might be because of blocked oil pump. and then he checked coolant level. I told him that I had serviced the car just before 1 month and done oil change , coolant topup etc.
He tried to srart car several time but it was not starting at all.

Then he opened the radiator cap and he told me that there is no water / coolant in it, he was surprised by that, then He told me to wait for some time , then after 30 mints, he had spread pressure water on radiator from front side and then he had put some water in radiator .

The car stared immediately after that. He told me to visit the service station and there is nothing wrong with CNG fitting, the problem is something else.

Then I went about 10 kms properly without any problem , car was running smooth. Then watched a movie , then while come back to home -I started the car - in idling (in neutral gear ) the car started vibrating and stalled, some how managed to start it and started moving again but in traffic whenever I was in neutral gear (at signal also) the car was vibrating a lot and there was a strong smell like oil pent (or like coolant) then I checked the fuel meter and shocked that it was showing empty. (in the morning I filled about 4.5 liter petrol) and also there was smell of petrol inside car, so immediately stopped the car, waited for some time, checked for any petrol leakage but was not able to find anything. Then went to petrol pump and filled 200 rs petrol.Started car somehow , it was vibrating a lot but managed to reach home around 7 kms. The car stalled near home.It was not at all starting. Then waited from some time. Managed to start again some how and kept it running at idle speed (neutral) , there was smell like coolant (old pent) engine was hot also the radiator was functioning imo. Strange thing I observed that the area near hand break (bottom side of car) was hot. also hot air coming from silencer. Then I switched off the engine.

I will be visiting service station now , please suggest what thing should I check? I am really confused what is this happening certainly? also dam frustrated [frustration]

Re: Zen is stalling frequently - Help requird.

Buddy. You dont love your car. :frown:
She has been giving you clear indications of trouble. And you kept on running her in this condition. You should have started jumping on service station guys right at the first instance the problem appeared. I hope the damage is not much.

Hi, Are you planning to buy a new car ?

I guess you have run the car with out coolant/water..

Check your cooling system.

Check all the hoses and pipes.

Check the water pump if all of the above are proper.

Keep an eye on your temp gauge when driving.Check to see if it is faulty.

Check the radiator car, the thermostat, the thermo switch which controls the radiator fan.

Check the oil levels in the engine and gearbox.Check the condition of the oil.

Make sure everything has been looked over twice before you drive out of the service station.

Thread Starter #5

Buddy. You dont love your car.
That's not correct man , I was too much busy with my office work (which I cant avoid) also I want to see my car serviced in front of me hence I didn't called service station people to take the car at get that repaired.

Hi, Are you planning to buy a new car ?
Yes very much
I guess you have run the car with out coolant/water..
Coolant level is proper, but the radiator has no water - this is what mechanic at cng station observed.

Check your cooling system.
Checked coolant level and its pipe looks proper. It is smelling badly though.

Check all the hoses and pipes.
Not able to find any leak

Check the water pump if all of the above are proper.
Where can I find this?

Keep an eye on your temp gauge when driving.Check to see if it is faulty.
It never went above half mark, might be faulty

Check the radiator car, the thermostat, the thermo switch which controls the radiator fan.
Radiator I have checked but dont know how to check thermo switch

Check the oil levels in the engine and gearbox.Check the condition of the oil.
Oil level is proper and oil condition looks ok

Make sure everything has been looked over twice before you drive out of the service station.
Thanks , sure

Update: In the morning I tried starting car, I has started in 3-4 attempts. The car is vibrating a lot also not at all accelerating , And when I tried to accelerate it stalled. Also there is very bad and strong pertrol smell. I think somehow the engine is guzzling more petrol. I will take 5 liter of petrol and will try to start it again to go to service station. Otherwise I have to tow it to service station.

Thread Starter #6

Just tried to start the car again to take to service station, bought some petrol. And now I have seen 'while smoke' coming from exhaust, rather it looks like the way white smoke coming from a rockets tail. Wonder what is this now. And also very strong petrol smell.

@Mods : Sorry for back to back posts.

Why don't you get the radiator pressure checked?

The white smoke is indicative that the antifreeze is entering the cylinder and the engine is burning it with the petrol.

This is happening because the car overheated and the head gasket has failed.

Do not drive your car in these conditions.

Please get your head gasket changed and get the engine examined.

Thread Starter #8
Re: Zen is Stalling Frequently - Help Required.

Thanks jarpickle, Tomorrow service station people are coming, will check these with them

if you need to take you car be sure to have it towed, its better spending some money towing the rather having to have the engine rebuilt or worse replaced.

Thread Starter #10

Yes, will force them to tow the car.

Btw have you check the pipe that goes from the overflow tank to the radiator near the radiator cap?

Has that pipe come off?

Thread Starter #12

Btw have you check the pipe that goes from the overflow tank to the radiator near the radiator cap?
Checked ,looks ok to me

How about the coolant level is it dropping only in the radiator or even in the overflow tank?

Thread Starter #14

How about the coolant level is it dropping only in the radiator or even in the overflow tank?
It was not dropping.
Today service station people came and taken the car.
The pipe in coolant tab was missing.
I will get a call from SA soon.

Top Bottom