Loss of Power in Honda City ZX GXi! Help Needed.

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have Honda City Zx Gxi with 91000 km Oddo with complete service record till now. But some weird problem have started since past couple of months which I have not been able to solve till date and its giving me lot of sleepless nights.

My car seems to lose power as the car warms up, especially in the low rpm. Not only it loses power, but the engine seems more noisy, the engine seems to work harder as I depress the pedal further down. The car feels heavy, like the engine isn't powerful enough. In top gear the car seems to have power, but because the engine isn't working smoothly on low rpm's, I can't stand it so I shift before going past 2k rpm. ( idsi engine have max torque at 2700 rpm which is impossible for me to achieve in low rpms[frustration] )

I drove the city of my friend which is exactly same idsi engine and the engine is much more quiet and smoother.

As I said, losing power when it's warm, it's worse when it's really hot (after driving for a long period of time) However, when it's cold, I don't hear much noise, the car isn't as smooth as others, but it's much better, the torque is there, power isn't that great, but it's a whole lot better than when it's hot. Unfortunately, that doesn't last very long, as soon as the car warms a little, I can feel that the engine is losing power, I have to depress the pedal more much in order the accelerate as fast, even there, it seems the car takes much more time to accelerate to a certain speed.

Here's what have been done on the car since problem started few month ago:
-Engine oil changed
-Air filter replaced
-Clutch plate as well as Pressure plate and bearing replaced
-Valve adjustment done
Well, pretty much all the basic maintenance related to the engine and transmission has been done, just in case. I did a compression test and everything was ok.

So here' what have been bothering me for the few past month, it's kind of depressing since I have no idea what it could be.

Any input, feedback on this might be appreciated.

Thanks

Dude, what was the condition of Engine oil while you replaced it? Quantity was less? In that case piston rings may be the culprit, leading to less compression when the engine heats up and rings expand.

Does your engine heats up pretty early? Do you feel any abnormal vibration?

Thread Starter #5
Dude, what was the condition of Engine oil while you replaced it? Quantity was less? In that case piston rings may be the culprit, leading to less compression when the engine heats up and rings expand.

Mate Quantity was same. No increase or decrease in engine oil level. It was between max and min mark on dipstick.

Don't know if it heats up early or not, car dosent have the temperature gauge it just have two signs of Cold and Hot. C signs stays for cople of minutes before switching off in the morning or when engine is cold. And no abnormal vibration felt.

Buddy, was the valve adjustment done before this problem started, or after? Or was the timing belt touched?
If the problem has started after the adjustments, I suspect problem with valve adjustment.

Thread Starter #7
Buddy, was the valve adjustment done before this problem started, or after? Or was the timing belt touched?
If the problem has started after the adjustments, I suspect problem with valve adjustment.
Valve adjustment was done a month or two after the problem started. And timing belt too not touched.

I forgot to write in my OP that once my car got overheated few months back when my bro took it for 300 km plus for some business trip and since then i think i am feeling this problem.It wasnt a sudden power loss since then but situation got worse Bit by bit overtime.

Last edited:
Looking at the symptoms you gave, I very much suspected something wrong with tappet clearances. But your last post rules that out too. Valves and seats seem to be in good condition, as the compression test was satisfactory.
Buddy, would you mind getting your car checked once more. I feel one of the test was not done properly. Anyways we will try to troubleshoot.
  • Check the condition of your engine oil. If problem with piston rings, the oil will be very dirty (High carbon content).
  • Kindly get the tappet clearance of valves checked once more from a good workshop.
These steps will help you in troubleshooting. But right now your car is in urgent need of a good workshop. Driving her in this condition will seriously worsen the condition.
Thanks

Have you asked from your brother about his business trip? Did something happen? As problem has started since then. That would be of great help in finding the problem.

Mr Boss. You have no idea what you are talking!!!

No petrol engine has fuel injector. Injectors are used in diesel engines.
In petrol engines (termed as MPFI: multi point fuel injection), the air fuel mixture is inducted in the combustion chamber.

Mr Boss. You have no idea what you are talking!!!
Thanks for the compliment.

But it is worth thinking a little out of box. Normal piston ring on expansion should give you more compression, but what about a ring with crack / damage on the inner side?

Dude, you may be packed with lots of knowledge in engines, but mind others in the forum are not dumb.

No petrol engine has fuel injector. Injectors are used in diesel engines.
In petrol engines (termed as MPFI: multi point fuel injection), the air fuel mixture is inducted in the combustion chamber.
Are you sure of this buddy??? For I know that injectors are the main component in the modern MPFI petrol engines.

freakdude.

Thanks for the compliment.
But it is worth thinking a little out of box. Normal piston ring on expansion should give you more compression, but what about a ring with crack / damage on the inner side?
Dude, you may be packed with lots of knowledge in engines, but mind others in the forum are not dumb.
Dude. Once again I would say, You have no idea what you are talking. Please dont be offended. I never said anyone to be dumb. But when something is written technically incorrect, it becomes our duty to correct it.
Being members of this forum doesn't entitle us to say anything. People are following us.

I apologise for being blunt.

Are you sure of this buddy??? For I know that injectors are the main component in the modern MPFI petrol engines.

freakdude.
Injectors operate at very high pressures (more than 250 bars). And such injectors are used on diesel engines. These injectors inject fine spray of fuel, directly into the combustion chamber. In modern petrol engines carburettors have given way to more advanced mpfi system. Here the injection system works by spraying a metered quantity of fuel from an orifice before the intake valve (not directly into the combustion chamber). Operating pressure is 2-4 bars, much lower than the diesel injectors.

Top Bottom