Turbo Intercooler

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
What exactly is a Turbo Intercooler and what does it do and how does it work?

Cold Air helps car perform better because its more dense.Dense air in short means more oxygen molecules in the engine which means better combustion which = MORE POWER.

Now a Turbo as we know compresses the air.When the air is compressed it becomes hot. (hot air = scattered oxygen molecules = less oxygen molecules in combustion processes compared to dense air = LESS POWER.

So to overcome this power loss (hot air issue) caused by the turbo (compression of air) there is this "TURBO INTER COOLER" placed before the intake manifold.So before the hot compressed air goes into the engine it is exposed to cool air outside (not directly through some heat absorbing metal,like fins on Indian bikes engines) & allowed to cool a bit making it dense again & then entered into the engine for combustion.

[cheers]

A turbocharger in simple terms, sends more air into engine for better combustion. It works with the help of a Turbine, which is actually a fan, that is rotated by exhaust gases. This helps the turbine to draw in more oxygen. A turbo's speed is about 150000 RPM.

An intercooler acts as an intake to draw air. It is used to cut down the heat of intake air. As long as the temperature of intake air is lower, the density would be high.

Thread Starter #6

AMG

Suspended
@ Crazy Cat
I asked about turbo intercooler, not turbocharger.

I asked about turbo intercooler, not turbocharger.
Crazycat has explained about turbo intercooler also!!

Which vehicles have this features??
As far as i know the old safari with TDi engine has this turbo intercooler!!! don know whether new cars have this now!!

Almost all turbocharged cars are intercooled. In india, looking at cars, swift, ritz, indica tdi as well as indigo tdi, vista qudrajet, scorpio, xylo, octavia, verna, safari, punto, i10, i20, older accent. MB, 320d, Commercial vehicles such as the 1613, etc all are intercooled. The tavera is NOT intercooled.

Intercooler cools the temp. of the incoming air into the manifold. Compression of air by compressor heats up the air, and expands it [ adiabatic expansion]. this expanded hot air is not a good source of O2 for the engine. so the intercooler cools the air, making it denser in the process. This increases engine performance.
Intercoolers are of mainly two types.
Air to Air.
Air to Water.

All the above mentioned cars use air to air intercoolers.

Last edited:
ilango[speed thirst];10532 said:
even in idle the engine gets air from the turbo,
so why do we get turbo lag?

its seen max in indigo. esp in mine after 1.8k rpm
The air(exhaust gases) would not have enough pressure during idle.

ilango[speed thirst];10532 said:
even in idle the engine gets air from the turbo,
so why do we get turbo lag?

its seen max in indigo. esp in mine after 1.8k rpm
To get that Rush of turbos, u need to have a positive boost in the intake manifold. At idle, the indigo turbo doesnt have enough speed to get a positive boost.And this causes the car to be sluggish at initial pickup. However turbo starts compressing air right from 1k rpm and you'll get full boost at 1.8k rpm. But this boost is limited till 3k rpm only. The BOV openes above 3k rpm to avoid damage to engine due to extensive pressure generated by turbo charger and here turbo presure ends. But At 3k rpm at fifth gear, u'll b doing about 130.[lol]

Last edited:
yeah .
the idle rpm is 1 with ac on.
in all other indigo's also in indica when we switch on the ac the rpm goes down.
Only in mine it goes up

theoretically when ac is switched on the rpm raise. so do in mine. but in all indica and indigo there is a point dip.

but no issues.

and with this turbo , indigo are fun to drive. only if you drive a non turbo indica in ac you will feel its cry.

ilango[speed thirst];10704 said:
yeah .
the idle rpm is 1 with ac on.
in all other indigo's also in indica when we switch on the ac the rpm goes down.
Only in mine it goes up

theoretically when ac is switched on the rpm raise. so do in mine. but in all indica and indigo there is a point dip.
I will check in my Punto tomorrow what happens in idle if AC is switched on. Default idle RPM is little bit less than 1K (around 900).

Top Bottom