Using Diesel Additives?

Thread Starter #1
I have been using "SERVO ADON D" diesel Additives for my Car (Skoda Octavia) for the last few months. I read in Skod amanual the other day to not to using additives in Engine oil or the disel.

Do anyone have openion if it is good or bad to use the additives.

I have been using "SERVO ADON D" diesel Additives for my Car (Skoda Octavia) for the last few months. I read in Skod amanual the other day to not to using additives in Engine oil or the disel.

Do anyone have openion if it is good or bad to use the additives.
Ravurus :- I got the diesel additive during my i20 CRDI's second service and the car was running smooth after that. It was not added by me but my SA added it . He told me that diesel has all impurities settled at the bottom and this additive removes it

I tried System D in my Figo for couple of months. I couldn't find any much noticable differences either in Performance or FE.

The manufacturers do not recommend additives, because there are too many on the market and it is impossible for the manufacturer to be on top of which products are good and which might do harm. Therefore they discourage using them in order to not being held responsible.

A high quality will not harm the engine. To the contrary they will add to the life due to removal of harmful substances.

To what degree the additives improve the running and FE of the engine depends on what build up has taken place. This in turn depends as much on the driving style as on the fuel itself. This can be below as little as 1,000kms from new.

Fuel Additive

Can we use Bardahl injector Klene for diesel cars? There is a separate product called Diesel combustion improver. My requirement is to clean the injector. But when checked the websites, it is not clear on whether this product is compatible for diesel system.

Anyone has ever tried injector Klene on diesel and any observations?

Thanks
Sai

System D / Standney / 3M - Which is better in your experience for Figo D?

I have used System D earlier, but can't find them anywhere. With System D, the ratio is 1:1 (ie - 1 ML for 1 Ltr). However, as per 3M website, the entire bottled to be used for 30 - 50 Ltrs of Diesel. Hence confused [roll]

The engine has been tested under certain condition.
The Engineers have spent a considerable amount of time for the design of the engine.
The manufacture have spent a lot of money on that.
After a lot of R&D they conclude the design and released in the market.

Do you think they might not have spent time on making the engine the best smooth.
The engine will perform best only on manufacturer defined condition.

My suggestion is not use such marketing gimmick stuff. It will rather damage your engine.
If manufacturer is not recommending mean, they might have also done some research on that.

The engine has been tested under certain condition.
The Engineers have spent a considerable amount of time for the design of the engine.
The manufacture have spent a lot of money on that.
After a lot of R&D they conclude the design and released in the market.

Do you think they might not have spent time on making the engine the best smooth.
The engine will perform best only on manufacturer defined condition.

My suggestion is not use such marketing gimmick stuff. It will rather damage your engine.
If manufacturer is not recommending mean, they might have also done some research on that.
Agree that many manufacturers don't, yet some do recommend such additives. Even FASS recommends & sells System G & D. Even I was recommended by them once in Pune.

However, just that they don't recommend doesn't mean that it's not recommended at all. Imagine, there are quite a few such products in the market. It would be impossible for any manufacturers to test each of it and recommend one. Another issue is, even if the one suggested gets bad over a period, may be deteriorated in quality or if one off incidents reported, then the consumer will hold the manufacturer responsible for sure. Obviously, manufacturers can't keep a tab of such products in the market. Hence, they will have to play safe by just not recommending any. Makes sense?

That doesn't mean that I am recommending such products anyway... Let me play safe like our manufacturers here... [lol] I had tried it earlier and since have been facing FE issues and some of our TAIans including myself suspected Fuel Injectors / System for bad deposits maybe because of adulterated fuels, I thought of using it again for couple of tank fills to clean them better.

Obviously, manufacturers can't keep a tab of such products in the market. Hence, they will have to play safe by just not recommending any. Makes sense?
OK, let’s say for a moment I am agreeing with you, but at the same time then they do not impose such restriction on engine oil/break oil/power steering oil.
There are also n number of oil manufacturer in the market. So company has stick to the grade of the engine oil irrespective of oil manufacturer.
They may not able keep tab on manufacturer but can recommend the standard of additive to use. Still they don’t do.
As you told you are being advised by FASS to use additive, but they are dealer not the manufacturer. The recommendation is coming from the dealer. The dealer will suggest anything which get them some dime.
I really doubt whether additive will be able to help in clearing the deposit in the fuel injector system (IMO).

Last edited:
My comments are inline.

OK, let’s say for a moment I am agreeing with you, but at the same time then they do not impose such restriction on engine oil/break oil/power steering oil. There are also n number of oil manufacturer in the market. So company has stick to the grade of the engine oil irrespective of oil manufacturer. AFAIK, both Ford & FASS recommends the fluids only from FASS.

They may not able keep tab on manufacturer but can recommend the standard of additive to use. Still they don’t do. The problem is, they can't be sure even if a standard one may deteriorate later... Hence, simple not to recommend one.

As you told you are being advised by FASS to use additive, but they are dealer not the manufacturer. The recommendation is coming from the dealer. The dealer will suggest anything which get them some dime. Agree with you. However, though dealers are independent, they are still under direct supervision and control of the manufacturer to an extent. So I don't think the manufacturer would just overlook the dealer selling anything that would affect the vehicle's running conditions. Things like additive, fluids, air filter etc. are ones such which may affect the vehicle either in short or long term.

I really doubt whether additive will be able to help in clearing the deposit in the fuel injector system (IMO). I am not an expert, but was advised by many around here as they believe so. I will leave it to experts who may have some technical info on it.

Fuel additives are no marketing gimmick. Good ones do help and improve engine responsiveness if there is a blockage or sludge deposit.

If in doubt, check episode 2 of the latest season (S23) of fifth gear. I think its also available on you tube.

Fuel additives are no marketing gimmick. Good ones do help and improve engine responsiveness if there is a blockage or sludge deposit.

If in doubt, check episode 2 of the latest season (S23) of fifth gear. I think its also available on you tube.
Still I will suggest against it. Below are some link which may be useful.
Some detail explanation has given.

HowStuffWorks "Why Fuel Additives Won't Improve Performance and Gas Mileage"

Do Those Fuel Additives Work? - Ask Our Experts Blog

Some extract:

To understand why so many of these additives are ineffective, it’s helpful to understand that all modern engines are controlled by the vehicle’s on-board computer. The computer relies on sensors to adjust engine functions, including fuel delivery, ignition timing and — on the most advanced engines — when the intake and exhaust valves open and close. Mileage-boosting fuel additives claim to increase the combustion efficiency of gasoline. But the automaker programs a vehicle’s computer to have optimal fuel economy with straight gasoline in the tank. Change the chemistry, and you may actually find a decrease in both performance and mpg — if there is any real change at all. Also, consider this: If there really were safe, cost-effective additives to increase fuel economy, wouldn’t some gasoline brands already be trying to sell them to you (along with their gas)?

Some More
There is no magical elixir that is designed to make your engine magically become more efficient and powerful. About the only time these additives may work is if you are not using the right octane rating fuel as your vehicle requires and you increase it to what it is supposed to be using an additive.

Top Bottom