Originally Posted by Naveen kumar
Thank you @Sidd7hartha.....
Let me clear my doubt...take your car as an example
1. What will be the engine rpm and how it should be @ 1st and top gear?
2. If rpm reduces at top gear, i want to know whether it is happening automatically?
3. If not automatic, how will you control the engine rpm?
I am no expert. We layman think of fuel efficiency more. I asked on a social site regarding best RPM for my Ritz. The reply was to keep it between 1.7 to 2.2. Generally I did not exceed 2.5 RPM. Now I try to answer your queries as far my modest driving knowledge permits:-
1. If you start your car you will find idle RPM is 1 or 0.98 and it comes down more the engines heats up. Put in 1st gear and move at 10 Km/hr speed, the RPM will be 1 to 1.5
I generally shift to 5th gear from 4th at 50-60 Km/hr when RPM generally >2.2.
2.As soon you move to 5th the RPM automatically comes down to 1.5
3. Engine RPM changes with gearshift and acceleration. If one accelerates in 2nd gear to 40 Km/hr, RPM will sore high. But a up shift will bring it down at same acceleration.