Tubeless Tyres - Repairing Punctures

Thread Starter #1
Punctures are a messy thing to experience in an automobile, be it on the move or when you walk out of the door to go to work and a flat tyre greets you first thing in the morning. With tubeless tyres, punctures do happen but if you are one of the do-it-yourself types you do not need to fret and fume. Just get the puncture kit and repair the tyre in a few easy steps.

For tubeless tyre users a tyre repair kit (made by Unipatch Rubber Ltd) is essential.
57602763.jpg

The kit consists of
(1) Spiral cement tool;
(2) T-shaped handle tool;
(3) Needle for permacure plug;
(4) Allen key;
(5) Omni vulcanizing fluid and
(6) Permacure plugs.
And all of these come packed in a separate leather pouch.

29265974.jpg
STEP 1: On a tubeless tyre, air retention in case of a puncture is of a very high order. It doesn't deflate immediately as in the case of a tubed tyre. Our test tyre had a nail in it but still was inflated. Identify such areas to get going on repair work.

66482213.jpg
STEP 2: Once you have located and marked the tear on the tyre, pull out the offending nail or foreign object. Then determine the direction of the tear by carefully working the tip of the spiral tool. Do take care to ensure you do not aggravate the tear.

76814050.jpg
STEP 3: It will pay to use a bit of the vulcanizing fluid at the visible entry point of the abrasion. One will have to cement the injury thoroughly using the spiral tool with the vulcanizing fluid using a clockwise rotating motion. Repeat the process at least thrice.

83893619.jpg
STEP 4: Insert the Permacure rubber plug (after removing the blue poly cover) in the eye of the needle which needs to be inserted in the T-shaped tool for better leverage. Also a slight application of the vulcanizing fluid is suggested here. Take care that you do not dip the Permacure into cement can or tube. Unlike vulcanizing of tubes which requires a heat press and some filing, no such bothers here

[ 22201225.jpg
STEP 5: Place the tip of the needle in line with the open abrasion and then push the Permacure plug into the tyre until about 25 per cent of its length remains above the tread surface. See that the plug is right through and through and then pull out the needle from the tyre. Let it set and seal for about five minutes and then inflate the tyre - to manufacturer recommendation - and inspect the repair for more leaks.

81471319.jpg
STEP 6: Once inflated you can snip off the visible portion of the Permacure plug by a pair of scissors. In case the puncture is big and the Permacure plug has not completely sealed it, simply insert a second Permacure plug at the point of air seepage. This though will only be needed if the abrasion is large. Simple logical thought process will see you through this entire sequence.

Source - India Car

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Cool info. have you tried this?

Is there anything that we mess, if we fail?
I have not tried this, but i am going to buy the kit soon.

In case someone mess up, road side tyre shop will help. Its good to know, in case of emergency, it will be helpful.

Thread Starter #10
In tubeless tyre also, puntcher will be felt, your steering will be rough, tight etc.. but the good thing is that tyre doesn't get flat immediately, so you can still drive till puntcher shop. In normal tyre normally you have to stop immediately.

According to what i've experienced, on both two and four wheelers, a puncture on a tubeless is hardly detectable. On my R15, i had cruised for bout 100 kms, on national highways, over the ton, without a feel. Nothing at all. when i reached back home, during a wash, found a huge nail inside. The moment i pulled it out, it deflated!![shock]

Another event, my uncle's OHC. Great car. Ripped it on highways at 120. In between, felt a little movement on road. Thought it was a stone or something and moved on. No changes. Cornering was the same, no stability changes, when i hit 160 once, felt someting uncommon, slowed down instantly and asked my uncle. he said it shoudnt b there. hit again and felt the car pulling towards right[ Punctured Tyre]. stopped at the next tyre shop, and found a nail again!![shock]

A disavdantage as i think it.[anger]

Hey guys i also had a punctured tyre( front right tyre) and i have been driving with it for 2 weeks!! Its hardly noticeable as told by racerdabba!! I have even went at high speeds in highways but din notice any stability issues like pulling or steering vibration!! But as crazycat said the air deflated within a week which created a doubt in me!! Finally when i went to CEAT SHOPPEE today they found a small nail in the tyre and it was fixed with the same process as explained above!! They charged 100rs though!!

Guys since it is difficult to notice small punctures in tubeless tyres,one will continue his journey (like cooldhaya). can it be dangerous to drive with those punctures?

Top Bottom