Power Steering Fluid Leak - Change Complete Rack ??

Thread Starter #1

zengetz

Suspended
Guys,

I walked into a great shock earlier today. I noticed the power steering fluid levels down below the minimum in my Getz. This has never happened in the past 2 and half years of owning the car let alone the levels EVER going down below the full mark.The car is religiously serviced at the Hyundai Service center.

Anyway, so planned today to top up the fluid but wanted to be sure if there was no leaks. So first had gone to get my wheel alignment and rotation done and when the car was on the ramp, I noticed oil traces. So confirmed it was a leak.

Took it to Kun Hyundai and the car was raised on the ramp and I was told, Yes there is a leak. So I figured out it would be an oil seal issue or may be something minor.

To my horror, I was told the there is no oil seal but its the whole rack that has to be replaced. I was told the cost for would be 45k :eek:

I told them let me think over in a day or two and get it replaced but what struck me on my way back was is there no way of repairing it ? Is it just that A.S.S would replace only and not repair ?

Oh also to mention, my warranty expired and I did not go for an extended warranty [frustration] .

So guys - what do I do ? I'm prepared to get it replaced but I want to be sure if it cannot be repaired ?

- Avi

Oh my 45k!! That is why it's always better to take extended warranty , although mine went through the drain only! BTW my car is almost 4 years old now but still i didn't face this issue.

I don't know if it can be repaired , let's wait for the technical gurus to comment.

Thread Starter #4

zengetz

Suspended
Update - I went back to the Hyundai Service Center and I was given the same reasoning that they would not 'repair' but will Replace the whole rack.
I took the car to a buddy of mine who owns a service center for Maruti to get his views.I met him almost after a year and I was happy to see he does service Tata and Hyundai too now.

So, he lifts the car on a jack and cleans up the bottom where the oil traces were present. He turned the steering about 5-6 times and showed me the oil was leaking out from the gear and linkage assembly. This seems to be a common problem with lots of cars and most of the times its an oil seal that needs to be replaced.

He told me there's a shop where they work on the rack-pinion steering repairs and we will be taking the system there to have it fixed. The cost he indicated would be around 4-7k :)

Will be looking to get this fixed next weekend.

Hmmm A.S.S is known to always rob the customers but this is bad attitude from Hyundai , i suggest you send a mail and complain against the dealership.

But how about the reliability and quality of work done outside? A.S.S always charge more but you can atleast be assured of quality.

Thread Starter #6

zengetz

Suspended
Hmmm A.S.S is known to always rob the customers but this is bad attitude from Hyundai , i suggest you send a mail and complain against the dealership.

But how about the reliability and quality of work done outside? A.S.S always charge more but you can atleast be assured of quality.
A.S.S would only replace the part and that part is covered by warranty. They don't take up repair work like these as the work carried out would not be guaranteed and at times would involve repeat visits post repair.

Back to your question about reliability and quality of work done outside, I am going to check the place out first and see it first hand before I let them work on my car. But my friends said this is a common thing and in my case would have happened due to wider tyres.

Another thing to note with power steering system is that, never lock and hold the steering all the way to the end. This puts a lot of strain.

Thanks for the advice bro , i always keep the steering position straight before i park.

Is this the reason for your repair?

Thread Starter #8

zengetz

Suspended
^^ I did not mean when parked. Let say you are waiting to take a U turn and there's vehicles ahead of you BUT, the steering is already positioned to take the turn with full cut (the steering will not move any more). This is what I meant by the lock and hold.

I still don't understand what caused mine to leak but my buddy has told me the wider tires could be the reason. will only know once the post mortem is done [lol]

Hmm ok just curious , what is the stock size of your tyre and to what size you have upsized?

I will have a close watch to this thread as i think even my Verna must be having the same mechanicals of your car almost.

You can try openingn the hood when the engine is running and steer to extreme right or left. The power steering liquid will be pumped at high speed inside the container and it will be highly visible. this high speed flow of (hot)liquid puts more pressure in the system. Any weak part like the seal can break if it continuously takes such pressure in long run.

Note: dont try this often or for a longer time as it is not a healthy practice. when waiting in turn or trying to park the car, it is adviseable to leave the steering in normal position instead of waiting with the wheel turned to any position

Thread Starter #11

zengetz

Suspended
Note: dont try this often or for a longer time as it is not a healthy practice. when waiting in turn or trying to park the car, it is adviseable to leave the steering in normal position instead of waiting with the wheel turned to any position
Exactly what I mentioned earlier.

@Dhaya - Yep we both drive the same monster mine's a little lighter though [glasses]

My stock tires are 175/65/R14 which I upsized to Yoko A drives 185/65/R14, this was keeping in mind strictly the upsize calculation. Im a sedate driver and only like to stretch my legs on clear roads and I don't do crazy bends. So harsh driving and putting the steering mechanism under strain is out of the question. Only guess would be the Upsize or may be wear and tear.
But again - Car is serviced religiously at the A.S.S.

Top Bottom