How to Start a Petrol Engine?!

Thread Starter #1
Experts Please enlighten !!

Do we have to keep the clutch pedal depressed while starting a petrol car,even if your gear is disengaged ?
If yes then why ? and if no then Why ???

That is not necessary for most of the cars (P & D included)

There might be some exceptions. For example, the new Vista, you have to floor the clutch at start up, else the engine does not start, doesn't matter if you are in Neutral position or engaged!!

what car you are querying about?

I agree with Umang. It is always good to floor the clutch before starting up your car!

Last edited:
Experts Please enlighten !!

Do we have to keep the clutch pedal depressed while starting a petrol car,even if your gear is disengaged ?
If yes then why ? and if no then Why ???
Pressing the clutch disconnects the gearbox from the engine and therefore disengages the flywheel and so reduces the stress on the starter motor. In some cars, this mechanism is put in place as a safety feature (so that the car wont lurch ahead on cranking the engine if it is in gear and the clutch is not depressed).

Thread Starter #5
Thanks a ton ! I own a pertol Ritz, and I always used to depress the clutch lever while Cranking the engine. But recently one of my friends told me there is no need to do that if your gear is not engaged. so had this doubt poppin up.

Now 1 more Question ![:D] If your gear is not engaged then where is the extra load comin from when you are cranking your engine ? Pls advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually this a safety feature in some cars especially some American cars that they won't start until the clutch is depressed so if the car is left in any driving gear while firing ignition than it won't fly away and bang somewhere.

But its is a debatable subject from a long time that if the ignition is fired with clutch depressed will reduce the load or not. Some people say that what is the meaning of pressing clutch while the car is already in neutral as engine is already on lesser loads.

I have always been starting my cars with clutch pedal fully depressed, doesn't matter if its a petrol or diesel car. Still not sure if this is beneficial for engine or not but atleast it ensures safety.

Thread Starter #7
But its is a debatable subject from a long time that if the ignition is fired with clutch depressed will reduce the load or not. Some people say that what is the meaning of pressing clutch while the car is already in neutral as engine is already on lesser loads.

I have always been starting my cars with clutch pedal fully depressed, doesn't matter if its a petrol or diesel car. Still not sure if this is beneficial for engine or not but atleast it ensures safety.
Thanks. And yes me too had been doing the same but wanted to know if that would cause any wear and tear to my clutch in the long run..

Thanks. And yes me too had been doing the same but wanted to know if that would cause any wear and tear to my clutch in the long run..

I don't know much about the issue you are talking about. But i have a Verna CRDI and it's clutch needs to engaged to crank the engine. My car has clocked close 60k KMS and still running in the stock clutch , hope this should clear your doubt.[:)]

Clutch wears fast only if it isn't pressed or left completely. I mean use the clutch as a on-off switch (as much as you can) rather than taking its help while accelerating.

Clutch wears fast only if it isn't pressed or left completely. I mean use the clutch as a on-off switch (as much as you can) rather than taking its help while accelerating.

Well i wont quite agree to that. I always use the help of clutch to gain some acceleration especially more in diesels. And in all the cars i have owned none of them showed premature clutch wearing due to the reason you are mentioning.

Anyways let's stick to the thread title!

Well except for my new Verna Fluidic I never felt the need to depress the clutch before cranking the engine. To be frank nobody in our family has this habit and we have cars clocking 70K+ without any major engine problems. However I almost always start my bike with clutch depressed since I never leave it in neutral.. And no problems here too...

From an engineering point of view depressing the clutch pedal would reduce the load on the starter motor by a very minimal margin. It is the clutch plate which delivers the power from engine flywheel to the gearbox. Thus depressing the clutch pedal would reduce the load on starter motor by a couple of gear levers which as I said earlier is 'negligible'. Hence apart from the safety aspect I do not see any significant benefit adopting this habit.. [:)]

And yes riding on the clutch (pressing the clutch pedal halfway or not releasing completely while running) should be avoided as far as possible. This is a major contributor for clutch plate wear. But in cities like Bangalore with bumper-to-bumper traffic this is almost never avoidable..[frustration] Probably that's why nowadays manufacturers have thick clutch plates..[:D]

Well except for my new Verna Fluidic I never felt the need to depress the clutch before cranking the engine. To be frank nobody in our family has this habit and we have cars clocking 70K+ without any major engine problems. However I almost always start my bike with clutch depressed since I never leave it in neutral.. And no problems here too...

From an engineering point of view depressing the clutch pedal would reduce the load on the starter motor by a very minimal margin. It is the clutch plate which delivers the power from engine flywheel to the gearbox. Thus depressing the clutch pedal would reduce the load on starter motor by a couple of gear levers which as I said earlier is 'negligible'. Hence apart from the safety aspect I do not see any significant benefit adopting this habit.. [:)]

And yes riding on the clutch (pressing the clutch pedal halfway or not releasing completely while running) should be avoided as far as possible. This is a major contributor for clutch plate wear. But in cities like Bangalore with bumper-to-bumper traffic this is almost never avoidable..[frustration] Probably that's why nowadays manufacturers have thick clutch plates..[:D]
Totally agree. The load reduction is not a lot, so does not amount to be counted as a big thing! It is just a new safety feature being implemented by some car manufacturers. I have had a Swift which I ran for more than 45K (single clutch) and I always cranked the engine with clutch depressed. IIRC even the manual says depress clutch and crank the engine for cars which do not have the new additional safety feature.

You can do more harm to clutch when you use it as foot rest while driving. Half pressed clutch is the cause of low mileage, premature wear of clutch and heating.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks a lot guys but its unavoidable in city traffic not to ride your clutch. But I had raised this issue of clutch wear and tear because I had just changed my cars pressure plates and clutch assembly recently ! That too after just 24k on the odo.(its a different thing that it was done under warrenty[;)]). The S.A at MASS said its a regular problem with K series engine. Is it true ? I am not in the habit of clutch riding or not depressing the clutch fully while changing gear but still it happened. Pls advice..

Well i wont quite agree to that. I always use the help of clutch to gain some acceleration especially more in diesels. And in all the cars i have owned none of them showed premature clutch wearing due to the reason you are mentioning.

Anyways let's stick to the thread title!
Since you mentioned you gain some acc by using your clutch, How do you do that ??:stupid:

Last edited:
Drive a diesel buddy , you will know it![:)] Diesels are known for their low end torque , you can shift till even 5th gear without even touching the accelerator pedal!

Top Bottom