Water Droplets Flowing from Exhaust Pipe

Thread Starter #1
I have a quick question mukesh. may be a little off topic.. very cold start of my bolero, there are few water droplets from exhaust for atleast 15 kms on any day (summer/winter/rainy). Is this good for the engine? What and where are these water collected or passed through from.

My dad use to say this is sign of a healthy enginee. Is this true?

Re: Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk - One Year Ownership

Your dad is right , its sign of damn best perfect engine. its just the water in air.

petrol cars do have this sign. since diesel is high temperature engine , you cant find it till the end.

I have a quick question mukesh. may be a little off topic.. very cold start of my bolero, there are few water droplets from exhaust for atleast 15 kms on any day (summer/winter/rainy). Is this good for the engine? What and where are these water collected or passed through from.

Sorry :offtopic:

There is no issue as such if water droplets come out of exhaust.

During cold starts it happens due to condensation in the engine, if the car is driven these droplets won't come out.

But if kept in idle it will come out, but during my 3 years of ownership, not even a single day i have seen water from the exhaust, but i see it in my Zen.

Are you using car regularly?

If occasionally you use it the water may come out at idling.

Thread Starter #4

@mukesh
I use my car daily to office. abt 22 km ride (sanjay nagar -Hosur) on AC. I see this happen every day till MG rd and then it stops by the time i reach office.
I have seen this on my wifes car Alto too.
is there something i need to get it checked?
Ilango suggests its normal. So whats ur take.

i noticed water drops coming from exhaust in our sx4 diesel.surprised i asked my dad he said it is the sign of perfect combustion and a good engine,also he said we find it very rarely in diesel engines.

As Ilango mentioned, absolutely no issues with it.

Btw is your Bolero an CRDE or non-CRDE?

I heard that its more prominent in Non CRDE.

@Mukesh
its a CRDE 4x4. and as mentioned, its run on AC 98%. it has clocked 31k till date.
Just you consult to A.S.S where you drop the vehicle, i am with SKS from my last 2 services, may be will have a chat with Cotech and update more about this.

As you said its happening in all seasons, it worried me.

As in cold conditions such occurences can be noticed, as the outside conditions are cold and exhaust gases or left over combustion gases cause these.

@Krish_go:
If this is happening these days only then no problem,rest follow the Ilango's words and your father's words,both of them are true to an extent.
Else if you are doubtful at any place,then simply consult the A.S.S.

One more question:-
Have you get the 4X4 after-market fitment in your bolero CRDe because as much I remember M&M does not offer 4X4 in the vlx CRDe model of Bolero(correct me if I am wrong)?
As much I remember,only Boleros with DI engine(ie:sle,slx,glx)used to get the 4WD.

Thread Starter #11
Im getting to worry a little more now after these reviews. Will consult the ASS this weekend. Im with India Garage.
@Siv
That is true. they are not releasing 4x4 with vlx anymore. this is one lucky piece which was booked in Dec2009. Infact i very clearly specified to India garage on 4x4 and no Di engine.

Perfect timing , perfect combustion , perfect working of engine mechanical which are in perfect life give you some amount of water droplet. no need to worry even if its continuous.

perfect in the sense beyond 100% ,

Its just condensation. Even if your timing is off by 10 degrees or one of your plugs isnt firing or of your jets/injectors are gummed up the engine would still throw up some water after a cold (in terms of engine, not climate) start.
This is like one of the myths around cars, move the car forward before you reverse type of thing ;)

Hi all,

Here is my two penny worth.

There is a possibility of water dripping at the start due to 3 factors,
1. Catalytic converter. Is this fitted on your car?
2. Condensation of water in the exhaust pipe. Regularly check your exhaust pipe for signs of corrosion.
3. Water vapour is a normal byproduct of combustion and when the exhaust is cold, the vapour can condense giving droplets till the exhaust itself heats up not allowing the vapour to condense. IMHO it has nothing to do with perfect combustion (No offense to anyone and I agree that I may be wrong).

B

Let me try once more.

perfect engine condition means , working of everything is correct.
so when the air fuel ratio is perfect , the thing is there is no lean or rich mixture.

This is called perfect contusion.

this in case of petrol car with carb - means the mechanic have tubed them so well. the mixture is just perfect.

Incase of diesel - same reason , every thing like mixture working etc is perfect , indicating that your fuel pump is working correct

Water is by product of good combustion. This is simple physics.

and when the temperature is low in silencer , you get to see water droplet , and in diesel cars esp due to high temperature , these become steam.

Catalytic converter do not come in old car.
old cars leave out hydro carbons and water.

catalytic converter - leaves out co2 and water.

Top Bottom