LPG Fuel - Do's and Dont's?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Am now a proud owner of Chevvy Spark LPG LS Red color. I took the delivery yesterday 19th October 2011 from KLN Motors Kilpauk, Chennai.

Since am new to LPG and Chevvy, can any one tell me some DO's and DONT's if possible.

Sethu

First of all Congratulations for your Spark, I wish it brings lot of Sparkling time for you!

Can you elaborate more on your specific queries?

350Z

Core Team
Good choice and congratulations first of all. This celebration calls for a new ownership review with lots of pictures. :smile: Back to the topic, most of the important information will be mentioned in the ownership manual itself. I will strongly advice a careful reading of it. Apart from that, just as a precaution stay alert for any leakage smell or noise which should not happen hopefully. Overall, the company fitted kits are considered to be much safer.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
Congrats for ur new chevy spark, what about ur maruti 800 ?
Mr. Varun,

I am surprised when you ask about maruti 800 and it shows clearly how u love not only your cars but also others. Great.

I have sold it. Actually that vehicle was under my previous company's name. They were supposed to pay me some settlement amount. In that process [ Its a Long story ], I had to sell it.

I got good offer for the new spark LPG LS being it was 2010 model. More over due to financial constraints i do not want to go for diesel at the same was not very keen on petrol vehicle. Then after lot of research i have decided to go for LPG.

Hope I have taken right decision. Its just one day old car with me. I will right something about it in few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
Good choice and congratulations first of all. This celebration calls for a new ownership review with lots of pictures.
Thank you very much. yes i will write a ownership review even though am not a great writer as well do not know much about cars. What ever possible I will do my best.

Back to the topic, most of the important information will be mentioned in the ownership manual itself. I will strongly advice a careful reading of it.
I have read the entire book and has fair knowledge about the car now.

Apart from that, just as a precaution stay alert for any leakage smell or noise which should not happen hopefully. Overall, the company fitted kits are considered to be much safer.
Yes. That is the reason I have chosen LPG model. I had three cars in my mind. Wagon R LPG, Spark LPG and Santro LPG. I did not liked the look of Wagon R so I dropped it and narrowed down to SPark and Santro. One of my friend told me Spark is good and just then I drove a spark from my friend and I felt it was comfort. So got my SPARKY now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #8
Thanks, I am very big fan of 800, how is driving experience (after 800 to spark) ?
Its great. I like the extra space. extra cooling. extra speed. More over i got LPG. So extra savings [ Hope so ]. Power steering. Front power Windows.

Being just 2 days old only this much i can tell you.

Will right more later

Thread Starter #9
First of all Congratulations for your Spark, I wish it brings lot of Sparkling time for you!

Can you elaborate more on your specific queries?
  • The show room guy told me to use only/mostly petrol option for first 1000 KMs. then i can start using LPG. He said this that the engine will set then only it will be good. is this true?
  • In the manual it was mentioned that only 80 or 85% of the capasity of LPG only to be filled which comes arround 26Kg. why they are saying this?
  • It was mentoned that always fill full capasity. But depending upon the financial situation i might even like to fill 50% like 10Ltrs. Can i do like this ?
  • What is the normal/standard speeds for gear changing? [ am asking this since this is my first 5 gear vehicle ]
  • For the first two days when i had drove the vehicle in the city there was no chance to go to 5th gear. is that okie?
  • if i keep driving in 4th gear will there be any loss in FE?
  • i have filled nearly 15 ltrs of petrol, even then it is in last block and it is blinking. am scared of it. is the FE is that bad? my friend says that even after it starts blinking it can be drivin for nearly 100 KMs. pls throw some light on this.

Congrats to you Mr.Sethu. Post some pics of your Saprky.

So it means a treat for all of us[evil]

BTW how much you paid for the 2010 Spark LPG?

The show room guy told me to use only/mostly petrol option for first 1000 KMs. then i can start using LPG. He said this that the engine will set then only it will be good. is this true?

Yes Mr.Sethu. It is correct. The engine needs a running in period. You should not drive the car in high speeds in low gears. and more over the reason for the above statement is driving the car in LPG generates more heat then of the Petrol. Due to the excessive heat the running in can get affected.

In the manual it was mentioned that only 80 or 85% of the capasity of LPG only to be filled which comes arround 26Kg. why they are saying this?

If the car is not driven for long drives in a single stretch, It is not advisable to fill the tank to full. the reason behind this is the LPG will expand when the car is in parked condition due to sunlight & other sources. So the pressure will increase to a certain level.

It was mentoned that always fill full capasity. But depending upon the financial situation i might even like to fill 50% like 10Ltrs. Can i do like this ?

Its only to reduce the vaporization of the petrol. But not a must do thing.

What is the normal/standard speeds for gear changing? [ am asking this since this is my first 5 gear vehicle ]

0-10Kmph-1st gear
10-20Kmph-2nd gear
20-30Kmph-3rd Gear
30-50Kmph-4th Gear
40 & above you can drive in 5th gear.

this is my driving style in my Palio 1.2 ( with Lovato Kit & Econ round tank)

But You can refer your owner's manual for your car speeds.

For the first two days when i had drove the vehicle in the city there was no chance to go to 5th gear. is that okie?if i keep driving in 4th gear will there be any loss in FE?

Yes there will be a lose in FE. But we can not do anything. one good thing is it wont harm the engine in other ways till you over rev the engine.

i have filled nearly 15 ltrs of petrol, even then it is in last block and it is blinking. am scared of it. is the FE is that bad? my friend says that even after it starts blinking it can be drivin for nearly 100 KMs. pls throw some light on this.

I will suggest you to take the car to ASS to rectify this problem. It might be due to malfunction of the float. Since the car was standing unused for almost a year.

The car can be driven to almost 30-40Kms after the blinking starts. but dont take chance. refuel the car in the next nearest bunk.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
@ Italian_rider

Yes. I will post some pictures today evening. Am planing to do a photo session near Ennore beach [ near my office ].

About the explnation; that was gr8. thank you very much.
The show room guy told me to use only/mostly petrol option for first 1000 KMs. then i can start using LPG. He said this that the engine will set then only it will be good. is this true?

Yes Mr.Sethu. It is correct. The engine needs a running in period. You should not drive the car in high speeds in low gears. and more over the reason for the above statement is driving the car in LPG generates more heat then of the Petrol. Due to the excessive heat the running in can get affected.
Does this mean i should not drive in LPG at for first 1000 KMs? Just I filled 10lts of LPG today morning.

Thread Starter #12
Sorry friends..

I could n't post pics.. I was continiously reaching home only after its get dark. and working on holidays also. soon i will post pics.

i have one more clarifiaction.

Yesterday, I had to Drive in water and am worried about water getting in. In maruti 800 there used to be holes on the floor which used to have a black rubber to block it.

Does spark also has that kind of holes? Since it was fully coverd with floor mat I could n't see it.

Thread Starter #13
Am sorry guys. I have comletly forgot about this post.

I had posted the car pics in other post but not here. Please Click here to jump in the post.

Pls give me your comments.

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
Some more pics about leg space in rear row, white cabin light, rear doors with ajar opening

Attachments

Top Bottom