Indian RTO Regulation Regarding Headlight?

Thread Starter #1
hi all,
i don't know whether this has been discussed earlier or not. A search returned so many results but nothing was related.

I have a doubt regarding the Headlight bulb standards allowed in India. After extensive searching i found that the rule no is
AIS-034/2004 Automobile lamps used in motor vehicles including construction equipment vehicles for the following applications:

I found the amendment to this rule from ARAI website, but after reading a few pages i f am feeling dizzy, if anybody has any experience kindly comment or i will print up the whole thing and read it (once my printer is ok).

Also i would like to know the color of light allowed in the headlamps i saw a colour chart, posting the attachment. i think the shaded values are safe.

so is it legal to use Philips Crystal Vision @4300k

AIS-034/2004pdf 2mb (goto ARAI Published AIS list then page 5)
the attachment is from page 27 of the pdf

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Thank you but i was not planning to use HID. It so happens that i can lay my hands on Philips Crystal Vision cheaply. so if a i am getting those at a deal i wanted to confirm that i was not wasting money.

I may upgrade to HID but later the dealer have me a quote of ~11,000/-

it is amusing that the govt make regulations then they make it difficult for common people to understand. at least they could have put them in such way that anyone could read and understand them. because i don't want to be held up for breaking the regulation. also i want to confirm is it legal to use blue parking light?

Last edited:
Not certain about legality of Blue Parking lights. Did you check the visibility of these at night from long distance? I hope you did, if not please do and let us know the findings. I think sight distance for blue is much lesser than the standard Red parkinb lights.
I am specifically worried about highway stoppage in the middle of night.

Thread Starter #5
I mean in the front. MUL branded Waggie as the Blue Eyed Boy but failed to give it a blue park light. so i bought a pair of blue LED and installed to get a blue eye.

as for the visibility yes, they are poor when compared to the normal white light. i saw the same blue light on another wagonr. they were not bright, in fact i recognized the car only at a close distance(today).. so i guess i will revert back to normal white light..

please check

Last edited:
I dont think its legal or appropriate to use blue coloured park lights, The reason you already know. I also dont believe that Maruti literally meant blue eyed boy(as in Blue coloured head lights) when they said that in their advertisements.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
a little off topic. but i was wondering if there are LED tail lights? i mean LED with two power wattage. (like two filaments in a normal bulb 20 w for brake and 5/10 w for tail)

Thank you but i was not planning to use HID. It so happens that i can lay my hands on Philips Crystal Vision cheaply. so if a i am getting those at a deal i wanted to confirm that i was not wasting money.
A big NO from my side for Philips Crystal Vision 4300k. I had those on my DZire and it was a waste of money. If you seriously want some good lighting go for Hids with projectors that's it.[:D]

Thread Starter #9
A big NO from my side for Philips Crystal Vision 4300k. I had those on my DZire and it was a waste of money. If you seriously want some good lighting go for Hids with projectors that's it.[:D]
Thanks.. a comment from the original user really counts. i saw good advetisements and good reviews fro Philips Xtreme Vision.. so just wanted to know how they are. (as for crystal vision i saw an ad on ebay very cheap). now i think my night rides are very few i should go for Philips Premium series.... the stock bulbs are not that much good...

As for projectors some say that they does not scatter light and the side visibility will be poor (kindlu put in your valuable suggestions...). so i may upgrade to HID later.... the main advantage i see is the low power consumption.

As for projectors some say that they does not scatter light and the side visibility will be poor
Agreed that the light is not scattered (or wasted as compared to HIDs used in stock reflectors) but I am hearing this for the first time that side visibility will poor.[roll] Let other users comment on this aspect.

Re: Projector allowed in car

I am shocked to hear this.[surprise] Projector lights are far better than the regular multi-reflector type for the oncoming traffic as they don't blind them.

Last edited:
Re: Projector allowed in car

After market projector lights are not legal in India.

Also sun films are banned since 2012.

Now a days cops are catching the people primarily for sun films.

Last edited:

Top Bottom