Maruti 800, 20,000Km service costed Rs. 10,761. Justified?

Thread Starter #1
Heads up folks. It's been a while since I posted something on our forum. So I recently got my humble Maruti 800's 20,000 Km service done at Marketing Times, Okhla Ind. Estate, New Delhi. The car wasn't giving any problems as such, barring the clutch issue which had become hard and felt more like brakes. Got the all the oils flushed and filled, got synthetic oil filled instead of mineral oil. Clutch cable changed, wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done, all fluids topped up. And the bill came out to Rs. 10,761, includes all labor, consumables and a Rs. 200 discount. What my concern is, have I been ripped off or is the amount justified?

Rs. 10,761 is on higher side, please post detail bill here so than we can analyze

Thread Starter #3
Moderators, request you to move this thread in Technical Zone, realized it afterwards.

Surfer, I'll post the bill details soon for reference.

350Z

Core Team
The amount sounds pretty big for a hassle free Maruti 800. The maximum I have paid for my car is Rs.5,000 and that was when it included under body anti rust coating. Please post the break-up amount mentioned on the bill. It will help us to provide a better idea. By the way, How old is your car?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes man this sounds a bit fishy. 10K+ for a trouble free M800 is surely on higher side. As suggested by fellow TIAns please post your bill breakup so that we can see and analyse. My dad's M800 never ate up such amount for service!

Thread Starter #6
It was bought in July 2007, 4 years old and still in pristine condition. The service guys assumed I'd come for free service until I told them that it's a 4 year old vehicle. Posting bill details tomorrow.

The service guys assumed I'd come for free service until I told them that it's a 4 year old vehicle.
You should have played along and availed a free service.[:)]

It doesn't seems that fault is of the car here. Maybe the service station people have tried to play smart.
That's what I suspect. Maruti mechanics get a percentage of the cost of parts changed as a commission. That's why they try to vchange maximum parts even when not necessary.

Edit: This was my 500th post.

Yes 350Z, even i noticed they try to fool unsuspicious people like our friend here. But still we can judge after seeing your bill details.

It was bought in July 2007, 4 years old and still in pristine condition. The service guys assumed I'd come for free service until I told them that it's a 4 year old vehicle. Posting bill details tomorrow.
IMHO One can not blame any one unless and until you have the detail bills.
Lets wait for the bill details.

Thread Starter #11
Folks, apologies for not keeping the community updated. Work kept me busy. It's been good two months since I started this thread. So now I don't have the bill receipt with me, so no point further discussing. Also, I've made up my mind not to visit Marketing Times again.

Moderators: Close the thread if you wish.

@ 2teja,

I do not think that the bill was on a higher side. Did they rectify the problem of your clutch ?

See my service bills are always around 6-7k for Maruti Zen Estilo. Reason is synthetic oil and normal service but once I paid 7k + 5k because I got my clutch issue resolved (it became hard like yours). So I would conclude that it is ok amount.

Since you do not have a bill, nothing can be concluded.

Thread Starter #13
Yes Shailender, I got sythetic oil filled up, and then the new clutch cable assembly, rest I don't remember much. But these were the two most costly components of the entire bill. Also, the SA suggested that I need to visit the dealership after 10-11 months only since the engine oil is of premium grade; Mobil xxx again don't remember. I still don't know if it was a farce or not, but Rs. 10,760/- seems to be on the higher side only.

Did the service people not inform you with an estimate before changing anything? I think that is a standard practice. When the estimate is given you have a chance to discuss the same with the Service Adviser at the Service center. If this is not followed then please do not give your custom to such a workshop.

Thread Starter #15
Did the service people not inform you with an estimate before changing anything? I think that is a standard practice. When the estimate is given you have a chance to discuss the same with the Service Adviser at the Service center. If this is not followed then please do not give your custom to such a workshop.
Biddu, estimate was given to be around Rs. 9,000/-. The money is not my concern, what I'm bothered about is did I end up making a fool of myself? I did not argue with the SA as to why the bill was so high, all the breakup was right there in front of my eyes. I wish I had the bill to show you guys. I was just curious to know whether the bill was legitimate or not. This was the first time I gave a petrol car for servicing, until then my father had been doing and now I've taken up the responsibilities, hence not much knowledge about servicing.

Top Bottom