Accidentally Filled Diesel in Petrol Car – Now What?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Today morning my friend's Vento been filled with Diesel on his Petrol car. Roughly, 25 litres of Diesel was filled and they got to know when the engine stop after a while.

* Now what he should do ?
* How much would be the damage on engine front ?
* Can he take any action against Bunk people / owner ?

Re: Bunk people filled diesel in petrol car - What is the damage ?

That is a real bad incident and you can tell your friend that he has been fortunate that it was diesel in a petrol car rather vice-versa. Because petrol in a diesel engine can cause a lot of damage to basic structure and design of the engine. Causing a lot of pain in terms of finances and otherwise.

In this case, engine will die as soon as diesel is sucked into the cylinders as it will not ignite due to difference in compression ratings.

* Now what he should do ?
---> He should call up VW after sales support immediately and let them know of the problem. This should be done at the earliest without any delay.

* How much would be the damage on engine front ?
---> No idea how much will VW charge for the clean up. It will also depend on whether filter needs to be replaced, which is in most circumstances will have to.

* Can he take any action against Bunk people / owner ?
---> I am a little hazy on this. Not sure if you can legally take any action against the fuel owner as this is a human error from both ends. From your friend for not asking for petrol and from the fill guy to not check what fuel needs to go in.

Please see below for more technical details:-
Google Answers: Accidentally filled a gas engine with Diesel...how much am I out?

EDIT: For other people reading this, in case of such a scenario, DO NOT START your or even attempt to do it once you know that wrong fuel has been filled. Just tow away the car and ask the helpline for support!

Last edited:

This is a common problem due to the carelessness of both the Driver & the attender of the petrol Bunk.

If the car is not started after filling Diesel in the tank, then there is no damage at all. Just move the car to a cornor. Ask the dealer's 24/7 road side assistance. They will come and remove the tank, Empty the tank.

Then he can fill only petrol (at least this time) and move on.

But if the car was on when the wrong fuel is filled in the tank, then there are some things which may go wrong. and if it failed automaticaly aftersome time the its worst.[thinking]

The fuel filter needs to be changed, Its required to remove and clean the injector. the list may go on.[cry]

But let us hope nothing went wrong.

OMG filled diesel in petrol?? [surprise] well follow advice by other TAIians but blast that petrol bunk guy..he should have asked before filling it if he didnt knew!

Did the engine stall by itself or you switched it off? Was there any sweet burning smell under the hood? If any of this is true then there might be severe issues else you could be fine. Just dont drive the car and get the tank emptied and flush the fuel lines. Also change the fuel filter for sure.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #7
Friends,

Problem is that he drove for some distance after filling the fuel. Once he observed that car is missing / jerking. He relished that they accidentally filled Diesel over Petrol. Now he is getting the fuel tank cleaned before getting it toed to the service station for the further action to be taken.

Thanks guys for the information on this so promptly. I really appreciate that.

But can he take any action against the petrol pump not paying attention to it at all.

zengetz

Suspended
Shailinder, same thing happened a few years back when My Maruti 800 was filled with diesel instead of petrol and I realized it only after i drove for about 2 kms and the car was coughing up and stalling.

I went back to the bunk and got him to clear my tank and flush it with petrol to get rid off all traces of fuel in teh tank.

Next disconnected the fuel pipe and cranked the engine about 15 times and the excess fuel in the pipes were cleared out too.

I took the car to maruti service center and got the carburettor cleaned and along with Sparkplugs, cleaned up the tappets too as carbon deposits came up, replaced fuel filter too.

Hope this helps

@shailinder - no he cant ask for it because mistake was his!!

@zengetz - buddy only some n00b will fill maruti 800 with diesel [clown]

Re: Accidentally Filled Diesel in Petrol Car – Now What?

Instead of fully blaming on the bunk, what was your friend doing while filling the fuel.
Atleast these companies should put a sticker of the fuel type inside the fuel lid opener.

May be that chap of the bunk would have filled a diesel vento, just before your friend arrived.

In some bunks there would be petrol & diesel nozzle on the same machine.
As a precautionary measure i don't open the tank lid until i reach the lid.

I get down in a pump, ensure that they set to 0 & then fill it.

Thread Starter #13

Shailinder, same thing happened a few years back when My Maruti 800 was filled with diesel instead of petrol and I realized it only after i drove for about 2 kms and the car was coughing up and stalling.

I went back to the bunk and got him to clear my tank and flush it with petrol to get rid off all traces of fuel in teh tank.

Next disconnected the fuel pipe and cranked the engine about 15 times and the excess fuel in the pipes were cleared out too.

I took the car to maruti service center and got the carburettor cleaned and along with Sparkplugs, cleaned up the tappets too as carbon deposits came up, replaced fuel filter too.

Hope this helps
Thanks zengetz. I have already asked as suggested by others in this thread so far to my friend. He is getting tank cleaned at the roadside and at the same time asked VW dealer to come and have a look at the situation.

@shailinder - no he cant ask for it because mistake was his!!
Thanks Umang. [:)] I will ask him to demand that.

@ Jalex and others (Legal people), Can anything be done on legal grounds against the petrol pump ? Or we should keep mum and curse our stars for that.

zengetz

Suspended

@zengetz - buddy only some n00b will fill maruti 800 with diesel [clown]
Well totally agree with you, I could never imagine it. I had no clue in the very first place when my car started acting up and I only realised it when I popped the hood and it smelled weird and then a faint memory occured that i got more fuel for the money i paid [lol]

@ Jalex and others (Legal people), Can anything be done on legal grounds against the petrol pump ? Or we should keep mum and curse our stars for that.
Actually yes. However, this is the responsiblity of both the Pump Attendent and the customer. The Fuel Pump could gently admit their mistake and also can counter question as what the customer was doing while the wrong fuel was tanked? Does he have any convincing answers?

Secondly, after filling, he paid the bill too. And the cost of Petrol & Diesel is unmistakable. Seems he didn't question the attendent at that point too. Surely, no convincing answers for this as well. This will add more weightage to the Fuel Pump.

IMO, the best solution can be to discuss with the Fuel Pump, admit the negligence on both sides and share the expenses equally.

Top Bottom