Idling Problem with A/C on Ford Ikon CLXi

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

well I am new to this forum and want to discuss the problem I am facing with my car these days.

I have got a Ford Ikon 1.3 clxi. In summers if I drive my car for 10kms without AC ON (starting with a cold start in the morning) the temperature needle shows a 30% increase in temp and that I guess is right. And now here starts the problem. If i stop my car for I say 10 mins and then come back and rev the engine and switch on the AC, right after 5secs of hitting the AC button, the engine RPM suddenly drop to dead end and then I could hear the AC relay switching OFF and immidiatly after this the RPM increase and become stable. Right again after 5 secs I could hear the AC relay switching again to ON and within 3 secs there comes another drop in the RPM and when it comes to dead again the relay switches OFF and the RPM again increase to stable. This happens 5 times :-) and after that everything becomes stable.

I checked this problem on a cold start too. But nothing happened. It was all ok and smooth. This problem really arises when the engine is not to hot & not to cold.

One more thing I want to tell is that few months back I gave my car to the authorised service station for the fuel pump replacement. They replaced the pump but when I get there to check my car I could see that the AC switch is bypassed. means after starting the engine the AC would start after 5 secs. The guys at the service refused to agree that something wrong has been done by them accidentally. Anyways I kept on driving my car like that. And one day I went to a local mechanic and he replaced the AC switch panel. Nothing happened. He then replaced the AC relay. Luckily the AC didn't start as it use to with that old relay. But the switch still was not working. So that mech tried some other options and finally he connected that damper switch in some way that pushing the damper switch would start the AC. I was confused but I accepted that tweeking :) but I think after 2 days I discovered this problem which I told earlier.

So I am stuck now and unable to figure out whats happening really. Is this all happening due to that tweeking? or some other fault? [confused][confused]

Re: Ideling problem with AC

Well. The problem sure is tricky enough. Search the net for a wiring diagram of the ikon. This should give a fair idea of what went wrong. Most new cars come with the ac embedded with the ECU. So its the faulty wiring leading to all this. Open up the whole wiring and relace rectify faulty components.

Re: Ideling problem with AC

Did you consult any service centre for this issue so far ? If yes, then what is there view on it ? If not, it is advisable to get it checked with them. I am sure you have not changed anything which is against the Ford policy as then you would not be able to take her at an authorized service centre.

Also as suggested by racedabba, you can search for wiring but again getting it cross checked with some authorized personal would definitely add more value.

1.3clxi engines are more frugal engine of the lot. This engine is so called as Push Rod engine.

Get your electric fan motor checked. This may be a problem with the motor also. When the electric fan is trying to start the engine will loose its power and A/c will get switch off automatically. The same problem i had in my 1.3clxi. I then changed the electric fan motor and voila all the problems solved. This may be a electric motor fault. Get it serviced or replaced.

You can read my more detailed ownership review in the below thread.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/3163-ford-ikon-1-3clxi-endura-2000-a.html

Thread Starter #8
thanx for replying :) I searched the internet but couldn't find any wiring diagram... But as you said I'll try to check the wiring.

Did you consult any service centre for this issue so far ? If yes, then what is there view on it ? If not, it is advisable to get it checked with them. I am sure you have not changed anything which is against the Ford policy as then you would not be able to take her at an authorized service centre.

Also as suggested by racedabba, you can search for wiring but again getting it cross checked with some authorized personal would definitely add more value.
Not yet but sure i will get it cross checked now. The mechanic just tweeked the AC panel switch wire with the damper switch and it went ON. Hope its not too much against Ford policy!![roll] but thanx anyway mate :)

1.3clxi engines are more frugal engine of the lot. This engine is so called as Push Rod engine.

Get your electric fan motor checked. This may be a problem with the motor also. When the electric fan is trying to start the engine will loose its power and A/c will get switch off automatically. The same problem i had in my 1.3clxi. I then changed the electric fan motor and voila all the problems solved. This may be a electric motor fault. Get it serviced or replaced.

You can read my more detailed ownership review in the below thread.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/3163-ford-ikon-1-3clxi-endura-2000-a.html
Man thats a one shot answer I would say!! [clap] but I am bit confused. If the fan motor is really at fault then why does it stables after say 2 mins of this ON & OF crap?? I mean its a motor and if its faulty then it would go on putting load on the alternator. And when I cold start my car in the morning, nothing like this happens. All smooth.

Well. The problem sure is tricky enough. Search the net for a wiring diagram of the ikon. This should give a fair idea of what went wrong. Most new cars come with the ac embedded with the ECU. So its the faulty wiring leading to all this. Open up the whole wiring and relace rectify faulty components.
I searched for the wiring diagram but couldn't find any... and yea it could be faulty wiring. I will check it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Negligible to minute dips in rpm is quite normal when turning on the AC. This is due to the extra load on the engine. This is however, almost immediately sensed by the ECU and compensated for by raising the idle RPM.

I guess the culprit could be idle air control valve as this is what raises rpm to prevent stalling and low irratic idle.

Also, get your AC serviced/cleaned if not done from long time.

freakdude.

The problem might be within the AC thermostat. The cut off system is seemed to be malfunctioned. Check thermostat output if it is digital oriented.

The problem might be within the AC thermostat. The cut off system is seemed to be malfunctioned. Check thermostat output if it is digital oriented.
A thermostat issue could not cause RPM fluctuations me think. Better so, can check it too.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #12
Negligible to minute dips in rpm is quite normal when turning on the AC. This is due to the extra load on the engine. This is however, almost immediately sensed by the ECU and compensated for by raising the idle RPM.

I guess the culprit could be idle air control valve as this is what raises rpm to prevent stalling and low irratic idle.

Also, get your AC serviced/cleaned if not done from long time.

freakdude.
Well I just got the AC serviced and I guess the IAC valve is working ok because there is no idle problem without AC and moreover I am amazed that how it gets ok after those 5 dips in the RPM [frustration] and after that the idle RPM is good and everything moves fine ...

Top Bottom