Cons of Underbody Scrapping with Full Load?

Thread Starter #1
My one year old Indica Vista ABS aura was loaded to the brim with around 6-7 persons sitting in the car as other transport modes were unavailable. The car with this load was driven roughly for 20 minutes.
While driving the the bottom of the car scraped the road speed breaker twice at low speeds (around 15 KPH). Now i want to know is it ok to live with this or observe the bottom for possible damages etc.
In such scenarios what are the possible damages.

A car's underbody is mostly a heavy frame that run downs whole of the car. This is built using heavier steel to support engine mount, suspension set up etc. In all probability you would have hit the exhaust pipe or some part of under body frame.

Best way to check if there is any damage is leave you car parked at a clean place for some time and verify any leakages at the place. Also, as you drove the car after the hit, you would have realised any run-time failure on the spot [:)]

I do not think there would be a major damage except for some underbody dent and coat removal.

Nothing to worry, most of the times it would be the mudflaps that get into contact with the humps.

While moving on an hump with more load always move diagonally on a hump to avoid the car scraping the bottom.

Re: Scraping query

While moving on an hump with more load always move diagonally on a hump to avoid the car scraping the bottom.
This is a very good sugession and practically works as when driving diagonally only one wheel gets on the speed breaker at a time and the other 3 wheels balances out the load.

Do check the underbody for dents and paint removals and treat it accordingly, as in rainy seasons the unpainted surfaces are more pron to rust faster.
And dont worry as nothing major might have happend, and in future do not make your vehicle prone to such situations. Always stick to the norms as its ment for your and your vehicles safety.
[cheers]

Nothing to worry, most of the times it would be the mudflaps that get into contact with the humps.

My car travels 50% on bad roads and most of the times the mudflaps use to brush with the ground, especially the rear ones; so I have removed all of them.

Also I have to take the car diagonally at some huge speed breakers, even if I am driving alone.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Cons of Under body Scrapping with Full Load?

One should actually avoid overloading the car. Doing this may not only dent the under body but also affect the suspension. For now, Just inspect the under body.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Swift's mudflaps and front bumper often brushes the ground when there is a big pothole or a speed breaker.

most of new generation vehicles have a mudliner with a rubber covering on
the front just below front bumper so mostly the mudliner first scrapes the ground

Thread Starter #9

I finally inspected the car at a Autozone centre for possible scratches, damages etc and fortunately noted that there were none. I completely agree with 350Z' suggestion on the overloading of the car, I will ensure that in future. Thanks for all the advices and suggestions.

zengetz

Suspended

Top advise here but ensure that you check your mirrors and make sure the vehicle behind you does not get a shock [;)]

Top advise here but ensure that you check your mirrors and make sure the vehicle behind you does not get a shock [;)]
Trust me, this is important. One young dude thought I am provoking him and showed me the finger! That chap moved over the hump in arrow straight direction. Poor soul can only drive, does not know the technicalities.

There are around 3-4 bunchs of continious heighted speed breakers on the way to Uran from Palm beach road.
Now one fine day my car's boot was loaded with goods and we were two in the car.
When the first bunch came I took the car to extreme left and then came to the right. There was a guy in the Civic behind me flashed twice and I could see his expressions from the mirror. He was confused like what I was doing. When he started to pass the breakers his car continously brushed all the 6-7 breakers in the buch.
Later after 2kms or so again there was bunch of breakers. Till then he was behind me and I gave him side to overtake but he didnt. He followed me diagonally and his car didnt brushed this time.
I hope he learnt a new technique from me about how to pass huge speed breakers![;)]

Last edited:

Well i do follow when i drive the zen, with 5 members on board .
But people who are aware of hump will slow down automatically.

Always try to balance weight inside car such that heavy persons sit diagonally.

My one year old Indica Vista ABS aura was loaded to the brim with around 6-7 persons sitting in the car as other transport modes were unavailable. The car with this load was driven roughly for 20 minutes.
While driving the the bottom of the car scraped the road speed breaker twice at low speeds (around 15 KPH). Now i want to know is it ok to live with this or observe the bottom for possible damages etc.
In such scenarios what are the possible damages.
Actually its nothing but the jack points getting scrapped.
the shartp metal like strip that run along the bottom is the one that gets scrapped.

nothing to worry!

Looking at the title, I was actually trying to come up with "Pros" of under body scrapping.

I can't seem to find any.

Top Bottom